Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by alucard77, Nov 18, 2009.

Nov 18, 2009

Need Some Advice by alucard77 at 4:47 PM (664 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. alucard77
    OP

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey All,

I am currently running 3.2U with Cios Rev 13, and I am a bit confused on some items and figure it would be best to ask a couple of questions here. If there is some place where I could read up on this stuff, it would be useful as well so I can understand this better.

I use to use my Wiikey v.1.9s to play games, but I started to use a usb drive for all my games to save the the DVD Drive and because it is so much better off of USB. So I really don't care about running games off of my DVD Drive. So here are my questions:

1- Is there a reason for me to play games off of DVD now a days, especially since most loaders have the ALT-DOL method already built in? The only game I could think of is Metroid Trilogy, and I am still holding onto hope that some one figures out how to split it into 3 seperate games. (I use Banners, so I would kinda want to see it as three seperate banners. That would be awesome).

1- Is there any real reason that I would need to upgrade from 3.2U to something more recent if I am using loaders, and I want to play some of the newer games like RE or NSMB?

2- I don't mind that my drive is WBFS, so is there any reason for me to upgrade from Rev 13 up to 14 or 15 if I don't need FAT32?

3- Is it correct that when I install Cios Revisions, that it install the the IOS from Nintendo, therefore I can technically remain on 3.2U and be usning the IOS of 4.2? Is it better to do a Cios Update or to use Dop-IOS?

4- Does Cios rev 14 or 15 now work with the Mic in the music games?

5- There is green dots on some of my games, and I read somewhere that could be caused by the CIOS, is that correct?

6- I see a lot of people bashing Wankinko and his Revisions. Why is that. What is everyone using now.

7- Is there anything else that I am missing

Sorry about all the questions, it seems that if you are not messing with your Wii everyday, you lose track of all the things going on. I have a newborn at home, so I haven't played with my Wii in ages and I finally have a week off from work and want to try some of the new games out there. I don't need to go crazy with things, all I want to do is play some games off of my HDD. And I may also check out the new Excite Bike for Wiiware. So any help would be appreciated.

2. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States

3. Ramzee

Newcomer Ramzee Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Don't know, never hear of it. You could try updating your IOSs - though it sounds more like a hardware fault?

(6) It's the usual thing - it's always easier to find fault. If Waninkoko was to wait till his cIOS was 100% perfect the rest of the world would never see it. So he gets as good as he can and then releases it and then some complain it's not perfect.

I think most are installing both cIOSs (Waninkoko's and Hermes) along with 2 or 3 trucha patched Nintendo IOSs, but it's horses for courses.

4. mdmachine

Newcomer mdmachine Member

United States
    I think G0dlike covered all the bases well. If you are on 3.2 and don't need to use the SD crap, there is no need to update at all. You seem to be situated.

I use triiforce and expect its compatibility to improve over time.

As for #5 sounds like it could be the "pixels of death" situation, which is believed to be caused by the unit overheating, thus creating temporary and/or permanent artifacts.

Your best solution, if this is the case. Is to make sure your wii is in a nice cool ventilated area, and make sure it turns off instead of going into standby.

I like having wiiconnect on myself, so I use the preloader hack to bypass standby. This will at the very least avoid any further damage, and even if it isn't the issue its good to avoid it from ever happening anyways.

MD

5. alucard77
    OP

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks for the help on this, I am going to read some stuff over about NUSD and CIOSCORP, since those are new to me.

As for #5, it happens only when using USB, and I saw someone say it was fixed in one of the releases. It isn't the Wii overheating or anything as it happens right on boot of game. It is not annoying or anything, just notice here and there.

It's almost like the game is streaming, and its a streaming artifact or something. Hopefully I can find the post on here again.