Need some advice for a competition.

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
So I'm taking part in an inter-competition and am representing my computer club. The name of the event is-
SYSTEM DESIGNING
“Use your cognition and make new innovation.”
Participants need to give a picturisation of the future system.
They are required to write viable specifications and features for their system.
Each component of their system must be neatly labeled.
---
From what is provided above, what do you think can be done?:unsure: I just want an opinion from you people.
How futuristic do you think this submission should be? etc.
Thanks.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
What kind of system are we talking here? Operating system? Gaming system? An innovation in some field? Please elaborate.

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
What kind of system are we talking here? Operating system? Gaming system? An innovation in some field? Please elaborate.

That's the problem, the organizers haven't given enough details to make something concrete :/
I'm guessing its a computer system:unsure: (It's a hardware related event, so)
Still assuming that this 'system' is a computer, what would you suggest?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Still assuming that this 'system' is a computer, what would you suggest?

You don't have to actually build the system, right?

I propose a 3D sculpting system that uses VR glasses (like the Oculus Rift) to show you the object you're modelling, Leap Motion sensor to detect the position of your hands and fingers and lets you interact with the virtual object, and ultrasound spatial haptic feedback that lets you touch the virtual object and feel its edges, and know when you're changing/deforming it. The setup would let you mould a virtual sculpture like you were working with a piece of very malleable clay, and if you export the result to a 3D printer you could get a physical model out of the virtual one. And it would feel like you're actually touching and moulding the material with your hands, making the process much more intuitive than the usual mouse/keyboard, graphics tablet, or one of those 3D modelling controllers (another example). You would also have a stylus with built-in directional haptic feedback for more precise editing and a better "feel" of the surface.

You would have a "touching" mode where you could pick up, turn the object, and "zoom in" or "out" by resizing the object, and a "sculpting" mode where you would sculpt.

The finishing touches like small corrections, smoothing, importing and applying fine textures and color could then be done using more traditional methods.

Reactions: raystriker

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Wait, so I have to make a cis-tem? What about trans-tems, huh? Huh?"

Tell the contest organizers that they're irredeemable deuce dukes and demand the prize money to compensate for your trampled liberties and hurt feelings. If that doesn't work immediately, throw a tantrum (or a trans-trum if you're really dedicated) for as long as it takes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-