Hardware Need Sata Drive advice

Ralph1611

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to go into the story of how I punched my laptop screen, and it survived with one hinge, but I wont bore you with that. Today the screen finally died, or something happened....and the laptop will no longer boot.

I already removed the Hard Drive and waiting to see what I should do.

I am planning to get a new laptop but I need to get all the files off the hard drive from the old one.... considering its a boot drive, will I be able to transfer files freely without a password? and If I decide I want to keep the HDD and the same settings... meaning I want to boot off the old HDD in a new laptop... How would one go about that?

Thanks

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
All the drivers will be for your old computer, so you'll probably run into some problems there. Drivers for the new computer might not exist for the old OS you have either. You also might have to deal with Windows activation problems. All in all, it's more trouble than it's worth.

What I would recommend is buying one of these and putting the old drive in it. You can copy your old files to the new computer, then wipe the old drive and use it as a portable one.

Ralph1611

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the drivers will be for your old computer, so you'll probably run into some problems there. Drivers for the new computer might not exist for the old OS you have either. You also might have to deal with Windows activation problems. All in all, it's more trouble than it's worth.

What I would recommend is buying one of these and putting the old drive in it. You can copy your old files to the new computer, then wipe the old drive and use it as a portable one.

much appreciated. Ill post pictures of it just to make sure its what I need.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as it's a 2.5" SATA drive, that will work.

Edit: Note that the first time you access your personal files, you'll have to wait for a long time (up to an hour) before the user folder will load. It has to apply permissions to every folder and file. Once you copy them to your computer and wipe the drive, you can copy them back and not have to worry about permission issues again.

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.