Need help with the RROD Fix

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by redrampager, Jan 25, 2009.

1. redrampager
    OP

redrampager Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2008
    United States
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKByCbv7bp8...feature=related

At about 8 minutes into this video, he starts to overheat the CPU by unplugging the fans and turning it on. This apparently causes the CPU to overheat... I have no idea what he's talking about because mine doesn't have even the slightest bit of heat coming off of it.

This is all standard procedure for bonding thermal compound, but why isn't my 360 overheating? I do have the 3 lights, btw. I'm trying to get it to 2.

2. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    When you turn it on with the fans unplugged leave it running with the RROD until the 2 red lights appear. It could take something from 2 minutes to 20.

If your 360 doesn't overheat then there's definately something wrong with it (more wrong than the RROD already is) [​IMG]

3. redrampager
    OP

redrampager Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2008
    United States
    Hmm. It doesn't even seem like the processor is running... It isn't making a sound.

Probably a bad sign.

4. kokiri_link

kokiri_link GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Peterborough
    Mine didt overheat when I did the red ring fix...so I unplugged the fans, wrapped that bad boy in a towel and turned it on. 3 minutes later I had an overheated 360 [​IMG] 20 minutes later (after cooling)..a fixed Xbox [​IMG] Dont know about the fire hazard involved in this though [​IMG]

5. haringtonl

haringtonl GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2008
    United States
    There is no need for this unless you modded your xbox or something. Microsoft has extended their warranty by a couple years for the RROD only. Just call them up and ask if you are covered for this free fix. Shipping to and fro are covered. I know this because I got the RROD... I got my xbox 360 back in one week.

6. kokiri_link

Nov 16, 2006
    Peterborough
    But a home fix is easy, and can be done within half an hour. Id rather do it at home than wait for MS to do it.

7. rc11982

rc11982 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2008
    United States
    Do you have the av cable plugged in??? I know if you don't the console will not run.

8. redrampager
    OP

redrampager Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2008
    United States
    Aww Jesus, seriously? Holy crap... OK.

9. kokiri_link

Nov 16, 2006
    Peterborough
    Yeah you need that aswell [​IMG]

10. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    I skimmed this topic and seen tower trick. I hope you aren't trying that.

It breaks the console more rather than fix's it. It is a false fix.