Need help with Smashax

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Umbra-Luna, May 4, 2016.

1. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Umbra-Luna GBAtemp Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    I've got smashax to slightly work on my N3DS, but it seems to crash whenever I send the packets across to the 3DS. It gets to a red screen just before the homebrew starts, and stays there. It comes up with the text before hand, confirming the exploit has been been started, but stops just before the homebrew menu comes up. Got any ideas?

2. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I've never used smashhax, but do you have the starter.zip contents on your root? You should have a "boot.3dsx" at the root of your SD card.

3. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    I had it the Starter folder itself, not on the root. I've just moved it now. Think that was the problem? I'll try it again and see

EDIT: YES IT WORKS! I've got the homebrew launcher running now all I need is to figure out how to downgrade :P

Last edited by Umbra-Luna, May 4, 2016
    CrispyYoshi likes this.
  4. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Glad to hear that! I think you should try following the Plailect Guide from part 2: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(Downgrading)

5. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    Yay I've got most of it sorted, I'm just stuck on the "HAX INIT..." screen. Apparently I should just keep at it until it sticks. Right?

6. opa334

opa334 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2015
    Gambia, The
    There are many people reporting that downgrading through smashhax will never work, no matter how often you try. Your best bet is to get some other savegame-exploitable game and use smashhax to install the exploit.

7. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    Well I'm just gunna keep at it till it works. If it hasn't by tonight, I'll tell you. In the mean time, I'm just gunna keep going till it does

EDIT: have you got a source for this? Cuz you might be right, but I don't wanna stop trying until I know it's fruitless

8. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Since you have access to homebrew, you could probably buy yourself a copy of VVVVVV from eShop and use (V*)hax to downgrade.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You might want to do it soon, by the way: It was pulled from NA eShop a day ago!

9. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    How do I do (V*)Hax? Is there a guide anywhere for it? I'll see if I can't buy it

EDIT: Nope, they've taken if off the EU eShop already. Bleh, that kinda sucks

10. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    The steps:
    - Buy the game VVVVVV from eShop
    - Download (V*)hax and merge the /3ds/ folder with the one on the root of your sd card: https://github.com/Dazzozo/salt_sploit_installer/releases
    - Use smashhax to run the (V*)Hax installer
    - Load up VVVVVV (Hold Select if you're trying to run it after you've downgraded)

11. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    Nope, no such luck :/ Looks like they've taken it down for good until it's patched.

Any other ideas?

12. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Do you happen to have Ocarina of Time or Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon? Perhaps you know a friend with either of those games?

13. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    I'm afraid not. However I could spend some cash and buy a copy of OOT. Will I need a powersave if I can do the Smashax?

14. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    You won't need a Powersave, nope! However, I should ask: Are you on firmware 10.6 or higher? If you are, you should probably get OoT. If not, you don't need it!

15. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah, I'm on 10.7.0.32E which means I'll need Oot to downgrade. It's a shame that Smashax can't downgrade, I was really looking forward to getting this thing hacked. Believe it or not, it's my Birthday today :P I've spent the better part of the day trying to get this work

16. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Oh wait a second, can you try this "lightweight" version of smashhax and try downgrading without OoT? It might work out: https://github.com/skyforce77/ssbhax-light??

If it doesn't, then you'll definitely need OoT.

EDIT: Please make sure you downgrade with PlaiSysUpdater or SafeSysUpdater! Any other version and you may be risking a hardbrick!

Last edited by CrispyYoshi, May 4, 2016
  17. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah I'm using PlaiSysUpdater to downgrade.

I'm an idiot, so how do you download just the zip folder, and not the master zip? On github I mean. I've always had trouble with that :P

18. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Add "/releases" to the end of the Github URL!

19. Umbra-Luna
    OP

Nov 26, 2010
    It says there aren't any releases? I can't believe I'm this dense :P

20. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States