Hacking Need help with R4i card

BMU

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a Nintendo Dsi XL for my nephew last year with an R4i card (on suggestion of a friend as I'm not familiar with gaming stuff). It worked fine for a few months but then stopped and all he gets is "An error occurred ..." screen when trying to access the games on the card.

The card seems to get recognised (the slot of the card on the home screen isn't greyed out). But upon tapping the icon, a black screen is displayed with the "An error occurred ..." message.

He hasn't updated the dsi version.

The Nintendo Dsi XL version is 1.4.5U
The R4 card has the 'i' on it and has the yellow splash 'v.1.4.3'. I've tried to update the card to the latest version as detailed here: http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp I updated it to the 'R4I-SDHC V.14.5 kernel download with 1.4.x or 1.4 mark' using V1.67b (English) version. But that didn't work as it gives the same error message.

I've been searching for a solution for a few days and unable to find it. Can anyone help fix this or is the only solution to buy a new R4 card?

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I bought a Nintendo Dsi XL for my nephew last year with an R4i card (on suggestion of a friend as I'm not familiar with gaming stuff). It worked fine for a few months but then stopped and all he gets is "An error occurred ..." screen when trying to access the games on the card.

The card seems to get recognised (the slot of the card on the home screen isn't greyed out). But upon tapping the icon, a black screen is displayed with the "An error occurred ..." message.

He hasn't updated the dsi version.

The Nintendo Dsi XL version is 1.4.5U
The R4 card has the 'i' on it and has the yellow splash 'v.1.4.3'. I've tried to update the card to the latest version as detailed here: http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp I updated it to the 'R4I-SDHC V.14.5 kernel download with 1.4.x or 1.4 mark' using V1.67b (English) version. But that didn't work as it gives the same error message.

I've been searching for a solution for a few days and unable to find it. Can anyone help fix this or is the only solution to buy a new R4 card?

if it did work and now doesnt
the console was indeed updated,
if the parental controls where not set and the device connected to the internet and accessed the E-shop it will have updated

the 1.4.3 cards will no longer work on that console
you will need to purchase a new card due to a hardware revision is needed for older/cheap card

there is no was to fix the cart, it will still work on a DSPhat or a DSLite but not a DSi above 1.4.4

updateing a cart is not just copying files to the MicroSD card
you have to run the update on a console that it can currently boot on

BMU

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian , Pong20302000 Thanks for your responses. I did ask him if he did an update and he said that he didn't. I assumed that in order to connect to the internet he would have to connect to a wifi connection and enter a password, which I know he doesn't know how to do. I bought the console in May 2012. So I guess somehow it must have been updated.

I'll buy him a new cart. Any suggestions of any reliable sites to buy one in Canada/US? The site I purchased the current card doesn't exist anymore.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Not all wifi connections are password-protected, he could have tried to play online in a game and picked up a local unencrypted connection or something.

http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get
There's far more clones than good carts out there, so pay careful attention to the site on the sticker, and don't be fooled by similar names.

[shoptemp]97[/shoptemp]

[shoptemp]548[/shoptemp]

BMU

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not all wifi connections are password-protected, he could have tried to play online in a game and picked up a local unencrypted connection or something.
Just so that I'm clear, setting parental control/password should prevent him from connecting online on this device?

There's far more clones than good carts out there, so pay careful attention to the site on the sticker, and don't be fooled by similar names.
Thanks for warning. I'll look at the labels carefully before I buy one. So all I need to buy is a new R4i cart. I don't have to buy the whole package (R4i + USB connector + SD card), right?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just so that I'm clear, setting parental control/password should prevent him from connecting online on this device?
Idunno', haven't done it myself.

Thanks for warning. I'll look at the labels carefully before I buy one. So all I need to buy is a new R4i cart. I don't have to buy the whole package (R4i + USB connector + SD card), right?
Right, you can use the existing reader and MicroSD.

BMU

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Idunno', haven't done it myself.

Right, you can use the existing reader and MicroSD.
ok.. thanks. I've disabled internet connection on the console settings. Hopefully that should do it. Thanks for all your help.

BMU

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been reading the that extremely helpful link you provided. And from there I clicked on the 'R4i Gold' link which took me to http://www.r4ids.cn/buy-r4i-e.htm On the 'where to buy' page of that site I've been checking for a retailer. But all I see are R4i 3DS. Here is an example of one that I was considering buying: http://gamespree.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=9. Would you know if a R4i 3DS cart is compatible with a DSi XL?

BMU

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's been updated before they send it out, but that site doesn't appear to mention updating it before sending it out.

Try some of these.
ok..geez.. this stuff is tricky!

The site I mentioned is also on the list of stores you mentioned above. Oh well, I'll look further to read that the site states that it is updated before sending it out before buying it. Thanks again.

BMU

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As mentioned earlier, I had tried to copy the new version of R4i cart files onto the SDHC card. So I attempted to put the files on the SD card back to the way it was. However when I tried to do that I got an error and the SD card showed '0 bytes'. So I formatted the card and then copied all the original files onto it which contains the Games folder and the .NDS files.

Is this ok or is there more to it than just copying files over for this? does this SD card need to be first run on a console that can boot before being run on my DSI XL?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning