OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Whats up guys? Well my brother has a computer and recently the Processor decided to take a dump. So I am trying to find him a new one in order to get his system back up and running. I know some of the specs about it but I am not too familiar with everything about it.

The info I have is that it is an AMD Processor and the Socket (so I am told, agian, I did not see the unit myself) number is:

RX 48-A.

So does anyone know where I could (even possibly) begin to look for a replacement for him? I tried google, but all I managed to find were Processors for guitars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so Thanks in Advance to anyone that is kind enough or has a few seconds to post back a helpful response.

Jamio88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick response man. My stepbrother is calling his buddy right now (It broke down at a friend of his place, so he just left it their), to find out what the motherboard is. I will post back as soon as he finds out.

Thanks again buddy.

Jamio88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, the Motherboard is an ESC Motherboard, the model number I am working on figuring out right now. Again sorry for the shoddy details, sadly I do not have the actual PC in front of me to make everything easier.

Ok, its an ESC HT2000 Motherboard.

Jamio88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
All I know is what I have posted above.

The Socket is the RX 48-A. It is an AMD Processor and the motherboard is the

ESC HT2000.

Sorry man, really wish I knew more to be able to help out more (well help out any at all for that matter, lol). Sadly though, without the computer being here, all I know is what I am being told about it, which is word for word what I typed above.

Jamio88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton buddy. I greatly appreciate it.

Usually I am good with thing kinds of things (been into programmer and doing 3D animation/rendering for about 12/13 years now, though just recently got into doing custom builds, maybe about 3-5 years ago). Just could not find what I needed with what little information was giving to me.

So again I appreciate it man.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not recommend attempting to replace a processor that old if the two of you needed this much help figuring out the socket type. I'm not saying this because it's impossible, I'm saying this because it is economically not worth the trouble.
Unfortunately replacing the motherboard/processor with something even on the lowest rung of what's considered "Standard" right now would also probably remove compatibility with most of your other components.

[pause to google since I'm pretty sure you gave an incorrect brand name]

Actually, ECS HT2000 is not a motherboard type. ECS did make motherboards with HT2000 (AMD HyperTransport memory feature) and "RX-48 A" isn't useful to help identify which socket type is used by the motherboard either. It really could be one of several different socket types. My first comment was based on the idea you may have a Socket A system (which has been substandard for 6 or 7 years now).

Since I assume you can't turn the machine on with the CPU being out of commission, you probably can't run a useful utility like CPU-Z on it which would provide a basic fact sheet about what is in the PC with its Validate feature.
So, if the computer system wasn't a custom build, it would be a LOT more helpful if you could provide the make and model and not such uncertain info about what was inside when it worked.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
To elaborate, what exangel means by removing compatibility with your components is upgrading your motherboard and processor to one of the newer sets (AM2, AM3, LGA 1155) and getting a new kit of RAM (DDR3, usually 4GB of it for around $30) and, depending on the motherboard, you may have to replace the DVD and HDD drives to SATA drives since they're phasing out IDE support.

All you'd be left with is the case and the power supply, both of which may be adequate for budget systems but unable to handle even mid-range systems (due to the increased power draw/heat generated by stronger systems). Replacing them really would leave you with an entirely new system.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Assuming:
AMD Athlon 64/FX/X2, Sempron
Is correct, it has to be an AM2 (or higher) socket. X2's are AM2 and up, not down. So no socket A, 754 or 939 horror. AM2 Also has a huge processor base including for example new AMD Athlon II's which could be supported by the system.

Ok, reread the topic properly this time :P. Assuming it's an older ECS (with HT2000) it would be AM2, but support in the BIOS will probably only be roughly up to the X2 6000+. A fine proc range, depending on what you are looking for and probably pretty cheap (20-30 USD?). It will be taxed but office and light gaming should run fine. Getting a new board and ram and cpu could be a nice idea, assuming your steph-brother actually NEEDS a new computer.

Also I felt noting: how did you decide the processor was to blame? Could be other hardware screwing around, such as the motherboard itself for example.
And thirdly (edit :P): Checking which processor is in there now could of course be benifitial. Getting your hands on the system might be the best idea ;).

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Assuming:
AMD Athlon 64/FX/X2, Sempron is correct,
it has to be an AM2 (or higher) socket. X2's are AM2 and up, not down. So no socket A, 754 or 939 horror
1.wrong, the X2's were also available on 939 and so was HT 2.0
2.Also the logic is phony as you write Athlon 64 -> therefore it can't be a 754/939
3. it can't be am2 and up as it seems to be a HT 2.0 board, if it is the case than it's up to AM2 as AM2+ introduced HT 3.0
4. Sempron weren't released for AM2+ and AM3 board ( but were compatible with am2+)

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Assuming:
AMD Athlon 64/FX/X2, Sempron is correct,
it has to be an AM2 (or higher) socket. X2's are AM2 and up, not down. So no socket A, 754 or 939 horror
1.wrong, the X2's were also available on 939 and so was HT 2.0
2.Also the logic is phony as you write Athlon 64 -> therefore it can't be a 754/939
3. it can't be am2 and up as it seems to be a HT 2.0 board, if it is the case than it's up to AM2 as AM2+ introduced HT 3.0
4. Sempron weren't released for AM2+ and AM3 board ( but were compatible with am2+)
@1.2: By golly, indeed socket 939, but with HT1000 ofc.. Did not know. Then again should have known as a mate of mine had a 939 and dual core proc... The can't be 754 / 939 logic came from the assumption X2 was supported and there were none @ socket 939.
@3: To your third point, In that particular sentence I am saying that X2's were designed for AM2 and up, not the board will have socket AM2 or newer. Aside from that, in case you are going to point that out, I say that processors designed for AM2 and up could fit the socket. This is true as they are pincompatible and depending on your board and bios will also function. This I have from personal experience owning an AM2 board running an Athlon II 250 eventhough it was obviously not supported in BIOS.
@4: In your last part you are wrong however ;).

Regardless the best thing is still to just get your hands on the system and see for yourself, aside from getting half comments on the used hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.