Need help with Font and text

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by matthewn4444, Mar 11, 2009.

Mar 11, 2009
  1. matthewn4444
    OP

Member matthewn4444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a question about making text thinner or making them into 1-byte. I'm not sure how to do this because I know Japanese font is 2-byte and has a square-ish outline or space. If I type English letters instead, they are stretched as it is 2-byte. I do not know how make them thinner like a normal North Americain, European game font size. If anyone knows please help me. I'm trying to change text in 7th dragon. (And the original post was changed to this one).

(Edit-again)..So I read up on the forums and I think I need dual tile encoding. If there is a tutorial on how to do this or someone can help me thanks.

2. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    change the font.
    there's no actual tutorial when dealing with dual tile encoding. However, with a little bit of programming knowledge, it's nothing hard.

3. matthewn4444
    OP

United States
    Sorry, what do you mean by changing the font (do you mean like the tiles?). Also in pointers, do I try all of the methods out (standard, offset, SEQUENTIAL TEXT, and SEQUENTIAL POINTERS) to see which on works?

4. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    You need to change the width of the characters but first will need to find the Font File and find out how you can change the font.

EDIT:
    One font is in menufont (it´s possible that there are others)
    [​IMG]
    You need to replace the characters with smaller characters and change the width in the menufont.bin but for the width you first need to understand the filestructure

5. matthewn4444
    OP

United States
    Ok thanks. I scanned through the files and I found another set of font, but after changing, no change was occuring in the script, so maybe there is a 3rd set? And when you mean by understanding filestructure, do you mean how the font hex is organized?

6. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Yep especially in your case where the width for the characters is set

7. matthewn4444
    OP

United States
    Ok thanks for the advice. So let me get this striaght...either I can do DTE (which is using 2 letters in 1 tile) or I can do VWF (Variable Width Font) for this situation since there is no ASCII font, correct. If that is true I'll continue researching (unless you guys have more advice, which is always great). And if anyone knows how to do Variable Width Font, please help me or link to a good tutorial (maybe on assembly I think).

Edit: Do I need to know assembly programming to do DTE and VWF?