Hacking Need help with Action Replay Dsi?

Tsundere_Neko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not 100% certain this is the right place to ask but I have a problem.
About a year ago, my old action replay dsi combusted. And by that I mean it quite literally blew up and stopped working. Didn't effect any of my devices, I think I just overheated it and the old thing just died.
In any case, I bought a new one, it connects fine to my pc and I could easily add codes, however It refuses to connect to my nintendo ds lite. I have tried my own ds and my sister's old one, neither of them recognize it. (Just get taken to the main screen with a "No ds card inserted" message.
However, when i hold it in just the right position it does get recognized, but this is highly inconvenient because if my hand moves, well... it freezes, as any game would do when moved from the socket.
Could I get any help on some potential fixes? Thank you!
Below is an image of the model it is.
Thanks in advance!
iu

Last edited by Tsundere_Neko,

boots_n_cats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might be a bit thin and not making a good connection with the contacts in the DS slot. You can try making it a bit thicker by putting a bit of paper on the back side of the cart.

Also can I ask why you are bothering with an action replay instead of just using a flashcart?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The paper idea sounds quite good. It doesn't have to work awfully long – only for selecting the cheats.
Make sure the contacts are clean (I guess you already did this, but anyway).

About a year ago, my old action replay dsi combusted. And by that I mean it quite literally blew up and stopped working. Didn't effect any of my devices, I think I just overheated it and the old thing just died.
Although this is not the topic: How could this happen? This just blows my mind. Does the cartridge slot even deliver enough energy for such heat? I expected to DS to shutdown in case of a short. I've had the physical switch break off the device on a Pro Action Replay II for SNES but it is not hard to imagine why this can happen.

Good alternatives are the already mentioned flashcart (all DS systems including your DS Lite) and on DSi as well as 2|3DS systems TWiLight Menu++.

In any case:

Good luck and have fun!

Tsundere_Neko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be a bit thin and not making a good connection with the contacts in the DS slot. You can try making it a bit thicker by putting a bit of paper on the back side of the cart.

Also can I ask why you are bothering with an action replay instead of just using a flashcart?
I just don't particularly like flashcarts. Plus I grew up with action replay so that's what I wanted to use for nostalgia and because it's easier to use. I got the thing working eventually btw, just pulled it out and shoved it back into the ds a dozen times and it finally recognized, and I haven't had problems since.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Although this is not the topic: How could this happen? This just blows my mind. Does the cartridge slot even deliver enough energy for such heat? I expected to DS to shutdown in case of a short. I've had the physical switch break off the device on a Pro Action Replay II for SNES but it is not hard to imagine why this can happen.

Honestly I don't know. I mostly use action replay to get access to events from games that are no longer available (Ex. Darkrai event from pokemon Platinum) And I had just connected it to my computer and uploaded the code and I smelled burning. I look over and the thing is making popping noises and the plastic on the top bit where you put the cartridge in had warped and cracked open.
It worked like once more time in my ds and then completely broke down. Honestly I don't know how it happened either, I can say that it scared the hell out of me though; thought it would start and electrical fire.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes +1