Hacking Need Help Unbricking

po0opiez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so i was trying to mod the wii (version 4.1) and i accidently dled the wrong version, E instead of U. now when i turn on the system, it runs for the most part, except i cant go into the systems menu, i lost my files, and it wont read off the SD card. i read guides on how to unbrick the wii, but all the guides say to use homebrew, and for some reason i dont have it installed... Please help

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you do this wait a while in case anyone disagrees.

This is a only a semi-brick which is easily fixed.

Install bootmii and make a nand backup before you do anything else. And save that nand back up somewhere safe.

Then download and install System Menu (SM) 4.1U wad (read below carefully)
  • SM 4.1 boots using IOS60 (see here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.1)
  • Other SMs use different IOSs to boot and if the correct IOS is missing/stubbed then you will be fully bricked.
  • Make sure you have the correct IOS instaaled first (ensure it's not non-stub) for the SM you are about to install
  • You say you have installed SM 4.1E and it's working (apart from settings) so if this is true you should be fine to install SM4.1U as you must already have the correct IOS60
Perhaps the safest way to do this is with a version of Anyregion Changer that supports SM 4.1 and use that to install the correct region SM.
If you're not sure what you're doing ask again as you could make this worse quite easily

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I agree with wilsoff, except I wouldn't use anyregionchanger, I think u would only need to use any region changer to change regions back if you used any region changer to change regions in the first place. But since the OP just installed 4.1E instead of 4.1U, it should be fixed by reinstalling the 4.1U SM

only problem with this is how to load the wad manager (or hackmii installer). Since the OP doesn't have access to the system menu settings, bannerbomb probably won't work. Smash stack is probably the only disc-based exploit that would likely work (other disc based exploits require access to the game save menu). If the OP has priiloader, bootmii or a forwarder channel installed then that would also probablu work. Other than that I am out of ideas (short of giving the Wii to DeadlyFoez for infectus repair if possible)

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
only problem with this is how to load the wad manager (or hackmii installer). Since the OP doesn't have access to the system menu settings, bannerbomb probably won't work. Smash stack is probably the only disc-based exploit that would likely work (other disc based exploits require access to the game save menu). If the OP has priiloader, bootmii or a forwarder channel installed then that would also probablu work. Other than that I am out of ideas (short of giving the Wii to DeadlyFoez for infectus repair if possible)
Why wouldn't bannerbomb work? If OP is on 4.1, wouldn't bannerbomb be run from the sd card menu, not the saved channels menu? Also, when the OP said they couldn't get in to the system settings, where does the wii freeze up? When you hit the 'Wii Options' button, or when you hit the 'Wii Settings' button? If it is the latter, then they should still be able to get in to data management.

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Seeing as the OP says he "doesn't have homebrew installed" and was truing to mod his Wii when this happened, I assume he doesn't have neither Priiloader, BootMii or similar sohtware installed, nor HBC or a forwarder channel.

Is this the case, po0opiez?

If so, you need to start from sratch with modding your Wii, by running the Smash stack exploit (details on wiibrew.org). You would then need to install Homebrew Channel, and then install something like DOPMii, ModMii etc to install the right system menu. If you have indeed never modded a Wii before, I'd advise have someone write you a step-by.step tutorial.

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@person66,
4.1 uses bannerbomb v1 which is run from the Wii's data management sd-card menu. If the OP can access that then he should be able to use bannerbomb as well as all disc-based exploits (with the obvious exception of the twilight hack).
I just tested it, my wii is on 4.1U, and bannerbomb v2 worked fine.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, Joostin is right, v2 works on 4.0-4.2. I am sure, I checked my SM version right before running it. It definitely said 4.1U.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
lol
oops, I'm not surprised cuz like u said 4.0 was the first to introduce the sd card button on the wii menu
goes to show u no matter how much u know, there's always something new to learn (or in Joostin's case he's got A LOT to learn ;))
Psh, at least I knew what exploits work on what System Menu versions. Newbie.

po0opiez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies but like i stated, i dont even have the homebrew installed. does the smash hack work for 4.1?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_is_cool, happy birthdayn't