Homebrew Need help running Metroid 2 Color Patch on VBAGX 2.2.1

Barrow Roll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it seems that no matter what I do I cannot run the color patch for Metroid 2 properly on VBAGX. First I tried putting the ROM and IPS file in the /rom folder like readme says to. I run it and it freezes on a white screen. Then I try patching the file using the ips.exe. It works and its in color but it's full of graphical glitches. Basically it's ugly as hell; better to play it in black and white. Hell, I can't even figure out how to run the supposed built in color palette for Metroid 2.

I can't figure out what the problem is. I've run both of these methods through VBA on my PC and they work perfectly but I refuse to play it on PC due to lack of a controller. So a bad ROM doesn't seem to be the issue here. I can use the same ROM and play the standard monochrome Metroid 2. I've played other GBA games as well.

Any suggestions?

PS. If discussion about ROMs like this isn't allowed just say the word. After reading the rules I am under the impression that we are not allowed to discuss the acquisition of ROMs but still free discuss ROMs themselves.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant say for certain but i think its a problem with the emu, i have tried the rom in vba-m and it tends to have the same problems you have mentioned, correct me if i am wrong but isnt vbagx based off vba-m?

Barrow Roll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
clarky said:
i cant say for certain but i think its a problem with the emu, i have tried the rom in vba-m and it tends to have the same problems you have mentioned, correct me if i am wrong but isnt vbagx based off vba-m?
I don't know for certain but I believe VBAGX is based off of VBA-M. When I run the patched ROM on VBA-M there are still a few graphical hiccups, namely some tile distortion when switching areas. It's not so bad and it's a good trade off to have the game fully colored. But when running the patched ROM in VBAGX there are messed up tiles everywhere, it's unplayable. Can VBAGX do screenshots? I'll do a comparison shot if i can.

All the release notes I've seen for VBAGX also say that it comes with some built in color palettes for original GB games, including one for Metroid 2. If I can't get the color patched version working then I'd settle for the color palette but I can't even figure out how to turn that on in VBAGX. In video settings all I see is an option called "Palette Mode" (I think, don't actually have VBAGX open right now) and the only option I have is custom. If I choose that then it gives me some options to make my own custom palette and an option "Load/Save" but whenever you click that it just tells you that it saved the palette. I don't see any of these so called presets.

aml435

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never got it working right on vbagx, but it works well on gnuboy for the wii.
The colorized Super Mario Land has the same issue but works on gnuboy.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think the reason you might have trouble finding the palette options is due to it being a hacked rom, rather than an emu reconguising it as a gb game it is picked up as a gbc game, perhaps if you found an unpatched version you might be able to get the palette option up

Barrow Roll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aml435 said:
I never got it working right on vbagx, but it works well on gnuboy for the wii.
The colorized Super Mario Land has the same issue but works on gnuboy.
Just tried it, and it works just fine. Good enough. Thanks guys!

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I looked now what is the problem and it looks like the hacked rom is using problematic graphical elements which are only working correctly on the original VBA and not on VBA-M. I have a few GBC and colored GB roms which are also problematic with VBAGX and VBA-M!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: