need help picking a protable hard drive

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Lokote2134, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Lokote2134
    OP

Lokote2134 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    so i want to use the Brazilian way to play wii u games off a portable hard drive thats around 1tb which do you guys recommend i get so it will work with wii u

2. Alex4U

Alex4U edgy

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (Adress 0x00)
    I know all hard drives works on Wii U, but i don't know if really need Y-Cable

3. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I use a Western Digital My Passport for external storage on my laptop, they're pretty cheap and pretty fast too. I have a 2TB one, but I'd imagine the 1TB one is just as good in terms of speed and stuff. I've never used one with a Wii U, though, since I don't yet own a Wii U.

4. Lokote2134
    OP

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    does a Western Digital My Passport need a y cable? because i dont want to use that

5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I'm not sure about that.

6. Lokote2134
    OP

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    i have a 128 gb sandisk usb will that work? also do i need to install rednand if i want to play these games online?

7. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    A USB stick will work fine. I've been using a 64GB PNY Attache USB and I haven't noticed any longer load times compared to internal memory.

And no, you do not need rednand if you want to play online. All you need to do is install your games with the Brazilian method.

kingraa777 likes this.
  8. Alex4U

Alex4U edgy

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (Adress 0x00)
    Just install games and you will be fine.
    Don't install other things, like systitles.
    And i already installed 5 games and im still playing online, no ban currently.

9. belisleian

belisleian GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2016
    Canada
    Yes you need one.
    That is what I'm using and some games start asking me for the Y cable so I bought one on amazon

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This is the Y cable

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00P0C4M5M?vs=1

Never had an error after that

10. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    If you don't want a personal HDD that needs a y splitter then you'll have to use a self powered drive which requires you to have it plugged into an outlet. It's overall more reliable in terms of power but that can be a pain for some, Also it's cheaper to buy an HDD and then buy the enclosure to make it portable rather then buying a portable HDD from the get go.

11. OfficialFBomb

OfficialFBomb GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Also don't copy your system saves or anything from the eshop to the hdd or flash drive, it can corrupt and delete stuff from the drive meaning you'll loose everything

Vorde likes this.
  12. Vorde

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    I'm not sure if anyone has measured the speed differences in loading times, but you also want a HDD that's 7200rpm, not a 5200rpm drive. The 5200rpm usually use less power, but are slower, and with my experiences with them in PCs they usually fail quicker too :(

13. OfficialFBomb

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    You can simply use a portable ssd too if you want, even though the speeds will still be USB 2.0, it will not need a Y cable. . There are some cheap Monster drives, or something a bit more reliable like SanDisk or Kingston.. I currently use a 128gb flash drive , 8 don't plan to fill it full of games, 1 or 2 until I complete them, then load 1 or 2 new games. .

Samsung T3 Portable SSD 240gb for 99 via Amazon, but Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner so all media will be cheaper then.

14. owek1

owek1 Master Sword Wielder

Aug 16, 2016
    im just using a 250GB Toshiba hdd that i got from my old 2010 macbook pro and put inside a Kingston enclosure then add Y-cable and that's it..speed is same as internal memory on WiiU for me..

15. TerryG

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I had to use a y cable with my PNY 240gb ssd.

16. punkskaguy

punkskaguy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Good to know that an SSD does not need a Y-cable.
    But I for one think that an SSD via USB2 on a WiiU is an absolute overkill.

I prefer using a normal USB2.0/3.0 external drive.
    But in this case you definitly need a Y-cable OR a external power supply unit for it.

17. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Apr 18, 2011
    Toshiba 1Tb 2,5 portable disk needs Y cable, for sure, but it's almost nothing the cable, and works like a charm after that.

18. OfficialFBomb

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    I didn't with a Monster drive, but maybe different brands will act different..

I prefer not to use an SSD either since its overkill but since there so cheap now, ill be getting one for it..
    Seems some SSD drives, still need a Y cable, at least PNY does. Monster drives do not, and most Samsung drives do not.

19. Wiiunator

Wiiunator GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2015
    wd elements 1tb works out of the box with no y cable or power supply.

20. ppeterr

ppeterr GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    Last edited by ppeterr, Nov 14, 2016