Hardware Need help in connecting my PC Intel build w/ Windows 7 to internet

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a cheap Intel build on eBay. The motherboard came fried (or should I say, *I* fried the motherboard :(), so I changed the motherboard to an ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX motherboard. Changing the motherboard worked and my PC booted up just fine but now I have to update the drivers and connect to the internet. I use cheap broadband internet so I can only connect an ethernet cable to my PC from the modem. Either the PC doesn't recognize the broadband connection (which I assume means the drivers must be updated) or I will have to reset the modem and start the network connection process on the new one (as one guy told me since apparently modems are locked to one PC at a time which could explain my network connection troubleshooting). So far, I've tried to install the drivers (which I found for my motherboard in this website - http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P7H55-M+PRO&p=1&s=32) but I haven't had any luck in figuring out how to install them exactly. I've extracted the driver files, put those files on a USB flash drive and connected that flash drive to my PC. But that's where Im stuck at, I don't know how to install them from there since there are so many files (application, HDR, cabinet, BIN, INX, EX_ files) and I don't know what to do. Maybe Im doing something wrong or am completely off with trying to get my PC to connect to the internet. F&ck Im lost... Any advice for a noob?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can buy a cheap router and have it serve a proper network if you want. Although resetting the modem might help for some things I doubt it is the problem here.

Back on topic Windows drivers are fun like this- if you have just built the machine I would say reinstall windows as there might be fallout if you have replaced a motherboard with an entirely different model of one and trying to pull it back is not something I would suggest if you have to make a thread like this.

Anyway actually windows drivers that windows uses usually have the extension .inf and some related files (although it can vary between versions) but for better and quite often worse vendors will give you some applications to install them instead (the ex_ file is probably a compressed exe aka application file). You usually want the program named install.exe or setup.exe (if you do not have show known extensions turned on then it will be "applications"). Personally I do not like this as it tends to install a bunch of junk to go with it (if you downloaded a set of printer drivers and they were 50 megs or so know that it needs to be about 1 meg with the rest of it being junk that gets installed) but I am not going to cover how to get around that at this point.
Should it lack an install/setup application you get to hunt for inf files which can be fun as most packages will come with a variety for different languages/locations, versions of windows and for each of those the two main types of architecture (x86 and x64- right click and properties on my computer/computer and scroll down to see what version of windows you are running). However to get to the point that will be useful to do something with those files go to control panel and either click add hardware and try to see if it finds the hardware it wants (then add the driver locations to the search) or device manager and manually install things (the things with problems or drivers not installed will usually have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark or something similar) and this is also where you get to uninstall the drivers for things the old motherboard had.

Specifically pertaining to this at least the windows 7 stuff (it is the same file regardless of what you have chosen) comes with asussetup.exe and setup.exe which both look like they will get things done for you.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Modems lock to one PC at a time? First time I've heard that. Is that like for cable modem?

ADSL modems (mostly UK, but some other countries I've heard adopt it too) don't care how many or what PCs are connected, they use NAT to translate between local networks and world networks.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Netgear router already but I don't think it's the router or modem. When I click on the network icon in the task bar, it tells me that I need to install a network adapter driver or re-install it. I already know where to look for my motherboard's drivers ( http://support.asus....-M+PRO&p=1&s=32 ) but I don't know which one to use. Is it the driver in the LAN section? Im using Windows 7 64 bit

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed the LAN driver for my motherboard. Pc still does not recognize the ethernet cable or connect to the internet and I still get the " Network adapter or driver not properly installed" message. Am I doing something wrong?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
right click on the word "system" in your start menu. another menu will pop up. Choose administer. after accepting that it wants administrative rights, the window that comes up should have device manager in the column on the left. click it and press the print screen key on the keyboard to take a screenshot.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
to use the screenshot, open paint and click edit and then paste and it should put the picture you just took into paint. save it and post it.

EDIT : to make things easier, to "post" click on your name in the upper right corner and press the "choose file" button. Find and open the file and then tell us so we can look at it in your gallery.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lols. You can also hold the windows sign button (the one next to ctrl and alt on the left side of the keyboard) and press r to open up run, devmgmt.msc for device manager.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea on what I can do? How come the ethernet won't show up in networking device? The driver that is not installed is "Intel(R) H55 Express Chipset LPC Interface Controller - 3B06"

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yeah, there isn't a networking section and in device manager so it's not recognizing anything as a network device. There is that unknown device, though, which is probably it. I would right-click on the unknown device and go to "update driver" (or something like that, don't have it in front of me, using XP) in what pops up probably just hitting "next" again and again to go through all the default steps would be the simplest. See if that helps.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, there are two unknown devices now. I don't know how it missed that... But anyway, I've tried downloading another Realtek LAN driver from this site ( http://drivers.softp...load-97872.html ) and I still can't get the ethernet connection to be recognized. Im am very stumped on what to do next... I also uploaded more screenshots of the two unknown devices in the Device Manager, in my Gallery

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ StealthD0g99: Ive never done that before