Hacking Need help - Black Screen on start up

BlackWizzard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I don't know where else to turn so here I am.

First let me say I did use search and strangely I didn't find what I'm looking for. Even so, if there is already an answer around feel free to delete this and my apologies.

I did also read a guide on bricks, but it didn't talk about mine (maybe because there is nothing I can do i will assume).

Anyway here is the problem.

I soft moded a wii, it was a 4.2e and everything went fine, it plays games with USB, its great. But then another person asked me to do the same to another wii that was bough on the same day and place, but was a 4.1e wii. I followed the same guide, but the result was not great.

As for what guide did i use, Its in another language that's why i'm not posting it, but i will give as much details as i can.

Well as the guide said, I installed the homebrew channel and bootmii, BUT bootmii was installed ad IOS and not as boot2 because there was no option for it. I moved on with the guide, did back ups of "NAND.bin", "Keys.bin" and folder "bootmii".

Then i was asked to update the wii manually to 4.2 and I started doing so.

Here is the guide if thats of any help:
1º Passo

Extraiam o conteúdo do pack. (utilizem o "extract here")
Colam as pastas apps e wad (que estão dentro da pasta chamada 1º Cópia) na raíz do vosso cartão SD.

2º Passo

Abram o HBC e depois abram o WAD Manager 1.5

3º Passo

Clicam em A para continuar.
Escolham o IOS36 (deverá ser o que já lá está), pressionando A.
Deixam em Disable, clicando em A.
Clicam uma vez mais no A.

4º Passo (Passo muito importante! Tem de ser feito primeiro que o seguinte!)

Agora escolham o IOS70-64-v6687.wad e clicam em A.
Escolham Install WAD.
Quando a instalação do mesmo terminar clicam em A.

5º Passo

Desta vez escolham o System Menu-NUS-v482.wad.
Escolham Install WAD.
Quando a instalação do mesmo terminar clicam em A.
Clicam em HOME para voltar ao HBC.

6º Passo

Não saiam do HBC e retirem o cartão da Wii.
Metam o cartão SD no PC e formatem-no.
Agora metam o conteúdo da pasta 2º Cópia, ou seja, copiem as pastas apps e wad dessa mesma pasta para a raíz do vosso cartão SD.

7º Passo

Abram o WAD Manager.

8º Passo

Clicam em A para continuar.
Escolham o IOS36 (deverá ser o que já lá está), pressionando A.
Deixam em Disable, clicando em A.
Clicam uma vez mais no A.

9º Passo

Agora vão instalar todos os ficheiros que aí vos aparecem.
Clicam no + do vosso Wiimote em todos os ficheiros que aí aparecem.
Certifiquem-se que não falta nenhum vendo se todos têem um + antes do nome.
Agora cliquem no A do vosso Wiimote e confirmam a instalação de 26 ficheiros, clicando em A. (caso não tenham os 26 ficheiros não instalem e voltem a repetir este passo!)
A instalação começará.
Quando terminar clicam em A e depois em HOME.

Podem agora voltar ao System Menu e podem confirmar nas settings que estão no firmware 4.2.

I did what it says and I didn't have any problem doing it. But after it, the wii restarted and now when it starts up all i get is a black screen and nothing else. If there is a game inside it reads it but nothing happens.

Is there anything I can do or the only way is sending it to Nintendo for repairs? (that will cost right?)

I didn't try anything yet, because I don't know what to try. As for what made it happen, I am not sure, but it doesn't matter now.

If anyone can advise me I will appreciate it.

PS: sorry about my English.

Black ace

Trophies
XP
Country
The same thing happened to me but I updated to 4.0 using waninkoko's 4.0 updater.I couldn't find any solutions about the problem either

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try using SaveMiiFrii (video tutorial here) and see if it displays the SystemMenu version.

Usually, if it does, it's a good sign. Other than that, I'm not really sure on how you should proceed.

If it's really bricked, you could either fix the brick using an Infectus (be ware that you need REALLY good soldering skills), or just send it to Nintendo.
If they detect homebrew (if the system is not entirely bricked they will), they'll probably charge you for the repair.

BlackWizzard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Try using SaveMiiFrii (video tutorial here) and see if it displays the SystemMenu version.

Usually, if it does, it's a good sign. Other than that, I'm not really sure on how you should proceed.

If it's really bricked, you could either fix the brick using an Infectus (be ware that you need REALLY good soldering skills), or just send it to Nintendo.
If they detect homebrew (if the system is not entirely bricked they will), they'll probably charge you for the repair.

Thanks you, I will check the video and try it out. i will see how things go and tell you later.

EDIT: Well I don't have the wii nor a gc controller, I will try it later, but if it does show the version, what can i do to make the wii run normal again?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BlackWizzard said:
raulpica said:

Thanks you, I will check the video and try it out. i will see how things go and tell you later.

EDIT: Well I don't have the wii nor a gc controller, I will try it later, but if it does show the version, what can i do to make the wii run normal again?
Another thing which just came to my mind: does your Wiimote (pressing the power button on it) turn the Wii on? If it doesn't then it might be a faulty bluetooth module, even if it'd be pretty absurd to have a coincidence like that.

Sadly, as for SaveMiiFrii, the only way to recover the Wii with it is to wait for a retail game (backups won't work unless you have a chipped drive) with 4.3/5.0/whatever and then put it inside. It should then update the Wii and make it work again.

BlackWizzard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im not 100% sure, but i think the wii mote does work. the 4 light are all blinking in blue and no matter what a press nothing happens. Though it was because the wii does work, so it might be something else?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BlackWizzard said:
Im not 100% sure, but i think the wii mote does work. the 4 light are all blinking in blue and no matter what a press nothing happens. Though it was because the wii does work, so it might be something else?
The Wiimote should sync (not too sure of this though
frown.gif
) and let you turn on the Wii from it when it's on standby. If it does that, then a malfunction of the Bluetooth modules is to exclude.

If it otherwise just blinks, that means it can't synch with the Wii. Either because it might have de-synched (try pressing re-synching it pressing the red buttons on the wiimote's back and near the SD slot) or that the Bluetooth module has died.

Without a working Bluetooth module, the Wii will refuse to launch the SystemMenu screen.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
DeadlyFoez said:
stub IOS60 brick. So unless the wii has a vulnerable boot1 then the wii is fucked. and unrepairable except by nintendo.

Good job.
yaywii.gif
hey DeadlyFoez, the OP says he has a nand dump... aren't u able to fix wii's without a vulnerable boot1 as long as they have a nand dump?

edit: just saw your edit, nvm
biggrin.gif

BlackWizzard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I was on the phone with my cousin (he has the wii with him) he tested the wii remote and it turns the console ON. Which is good.. and bad... I guess I will have to sent it to nintendo.

Well the console doesn't have anything installed on it, only the home brew channel (which he said already comes with the console) so is there any chance its repaired fro free since the problem was while patching from 4.1 to 4.2?

If not how much do they usually charge for it? : (

Again thanks for the help and you time guys!

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually, just by detecting the HBC they can fine you up to 200€ (or it was dollars?
tongue.gif
), if I recall correctly.

You have to hope that you'll be lucky. Sometimes they don't charge you, even if they detect Homebrew.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
if its under warranty, run it over in your car, lol

i swear to god my aunt did this to her bricked wii (which she had less than a week), and ninty replaced it. The original bricked wii that was run over, is now in the hands of bushing, apparently its a specific model that may help him with future wii modding breakthrough's

but seriously... running over the wii with your car probably isn't a great idea... but it worked for my aunt and they never even took a hard look at the wii... so just let that be an example of how lenient ninty can be sometimes

BlackWizzard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So homebrew doesn't come with the console? I told him we had to install it but he insisted that we did not. Wow if they charge for 200E its best to simply buy a new one since that's how much a new one costs.

Wait, do they fix it for simply test it and give him a new one?

EDIT: wow a car? nah that wont work. Yes its under the warranty (probably its spelled wrong, sorry about that). But since all I get is a black screen and if they give a new one they wont find out i hope
tongue.gif

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
no, the homebrew channel doesn't come with the console, I've heard that a lot of wii's are sold with the HBC in your part of the world... but that is the retailers softmodding them after they get them from ninty

it depends, if your wii can be repaired, ninty will repair it and give it back to u, if they can't, they'll replace it with a new one

honestly, if I had to purchase a new wii, I would try to find an old used one online that has a vulnerable boot1 (so bootmii can be installed as boot2).

BlackWizzard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So the only thing i can do is try using the GC controller and if the version is still 4.1 try to upgrade it to a 4.2? if not Nintendo with it?

So in the cases when you cant get bootmii as boot2 its best to not keep going? (if the wii ain't ours at least) :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...