OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! My first post on this forum so hopefully I won't get anybody mad
smile.gif

Anyhow, I am not a very bright person so I need some help so I can get Action Replay codes to work on my R4.

I've spent many hours trying to figure out how to do this, but nothing seems to be working :/.

At the moment, I have downloaded Cheat Code Editor v 1.01 and USRCheat. After download, they came out as .rar files and I do not know what to do with them at this point.

Thank you in advance to those that help!

tragicmat1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for help! I got the file to open
tongue.gif
Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the codes to work. At the moment I can see the codes after clicking (Y) but it doesn't work as the game loads.

Edit: I don't know why, but the file corrupted or something as the cheat code editor won't even bring it up anymore

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The default R4 firmware has some serious issues with cheating, Certain cheat types won't work at all unless you get an edited _DS_Menu.dat file. And there's a hard coded limit on the number of entries in the database the R4 can support, entries after that number is reached are ignored by the firmware.

Visit the official cheat thread for more explanation and a link to the edited _ds_menu.dat and a better cheat editor

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=84991

I'll try to explain it a little here too...

The latest cheat.dat OR usercheat.dat file supplied by GBATemp's loveable Narin are too big for the last and final R4 firmware (1.18) to handle.

Cheats are stored alphabetically in the database. As more games are added to the cheat database, more games will not display the option to cheat (on the R4) and the earlier in the alphabet the cheats will cut off at. I think at the moment, games that start with an S or T or any letter after that will NOT work with the default R4 firmware. They do not show the option to cheat, despite having an entry in the database.

This is a limitation of the R4's firmware, it can only support a certain number of cheat entries.

If you DO get the option to cheat displayed for a game (You can press Y to cheat), it will open a small cheat list of blue and black text on a grey background. You have to scroll through and enable the cheats you want. Follow the on screen instructions. You should see an entry that indicates how many of the cheats for a particular game you have enabled.

Running the game from then on should always use cheats you have turned on. Pay attention to the cheat list page as sometimes certain cheats require you to press activator keys during the game to enable the cheat. These activators are listed on the cheat screen.

You should only use either of the usercheat or cheat dat files, NOT both.

The better cheat editor is R4CCE. If you're determined to use the R4 firmware then you can use this to delete entries for games you don't have. Its a long and boring process and is something you will have to do EVERY TIME Narin releases a new cheat database and you decide to update.

If you're having trouble just cheating, then I wish you luck with this but you might consider trying to use YSMenu on your R4. I recommend using it as a NDS rom that you can load from the R4 menu, so you have both options available. Ysmenu has better cheat support.

There are loads of confusing threads stickied and not stickied in this forum explaining the many convoluted ways to set up ysmenu. It can be quite confusing. I wish you luck with that and refuse to help any further
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im a minor
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So. I'm a Major
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im under 18
    I'm waaaaaaaaaay over 18. lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that makes you a pedo
    Pedo = 1. child 2. boy 3. ? I forgot. But I wish I were still a "Boy" :sad::cry::cry::cry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant simping over someone under 18 while you are over 18 makes you a pedophile
    And when did I "simp" you?
    Just go make me the darn coffee :angry:
    Tea?
    LoL lmao
    L8er dude. going to watch YT's on the Ukraine/ruskie war.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi,tbh i think im
    not interested in whats going on irl
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tomorrow's memorial day, so i've been looking for a playlist, but it's all just country and alternative rock
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, memorial day for who?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why the hell can't i find one with a song about the soldiers who died in battle, the very reason we celebrate
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Bake them a cake :ninja:
    +1
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    I can change my name back tomorrow
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, what will your new username be?
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    My original one
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about the actual reasons behind it. For most it's just another reason to get shit faced drunk and spout off hyper-patriotic nonsense. The Trumpers around here going to be out in full force with their trucks and guns and flags making noise all over town. Hard pass.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BakerMan, Metallica One
    Shelldroid @ Shelldroid: hi