Need an MP3 Player

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a 30gig Creative Zen Vision M...

have had it almost 2 years now. battery life is still awesome.

with 30gig, I can put a COUPLE of movies, and still have a ton of music.

As for the people who say Creative has a lack of updates, that's because they DON'T NEED TO UPDATE! I've never had a problem with mine!

Baroque Obama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LagunaCid said:
QUOTE said:
they offer pretty damn good storage for the price
tehee

you mean the opposite, right?
iPods are the most expensive mp3 player, hands down.

I would say 80 gigabytes for 250 dollars is a pretty good cost. obviously i would be dead wrong if i was talking about flash memory. also, whenever apple bumps up the storage of it's ipod's, their competitors generally follow suit. the recent 30 to 80 gigabyte jump was due to apple.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, I was not expecting my thread to turn into an mp3 player flame war that's for sure!
ohmy.gif

After reading through, I didn't realize how much of a complete noob I was to mp3! All I really want is a device which simply plays mp3's - not too fussed about videos or photos etc. I'm mostly interested in listening to good quality music with out using my DS!

Can someone please explain this Rockbox thing to me, I mean will I be better off with it?

I guess I won't buy anything iPod related as ojsinnerz will probably come to my house and kill me. I guess I'll give Creative a miss too as they also seem to suck judging by what I've read here and this Sansa thing some of you have mentioned has got me interested, simply because it has been recommended a few times... still confused though. What about Meizu?
wacko.gif

Just to be clear I am willing to spend up to £50, want at least 1gb (mp3 players that can take microSDHC cards would be great as I have a spare 4gb card) and I want good sound quality!

EDIT: Also, an mp3 player which charges off the mains would be a plus as I don't like replacing batteries. What else can I say... has a nice simple GUI, isn't the shape of a phone (unless it's that good it doesn't matter), be better if it fits in my pockets... hmm that'll do for now.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ackers said:
Wow, I was not expecting my thread to turn into an mp3 player flame war that's for sure!
ohmy.gif

After reading through, I didn't realize how much of a complete noob I was to mp3! All I really want is a device which simply plays mp3's - not too fussed about videos or photos etc. I'm mostly interested in listening to good quality music with out using my DS!

Can someone please explain this Rockbox thing to me, I mean will I be better off with it?

I guess I won't buy anything iPod related as ojsinnerz will probably come to my house and kill me. I guess I'll give Creative a miss too as they also seem to suck judging by what I've read here and this Sansa thing some of you have mentioned has got me interested, simply because it has been recommended a few times... still confused though. What about Meizu?
wacko.gif

Just to be clear I am willing to spend up to £50, want at least 1gb (mp3 players that can take microSDHC cards would be great as I have a spare 4gb card) and I want good sound quality!

EDIT: Also, an mp3 player which charges off the mains would be a plus as I don't like replacing batteries. What else can I say... has a nice simple GUI, isn't the shape of a phone (unless it's that good it doesn't matter), be better if it fits in my pockets... hmm that'll do for now.

Rockbox is an open-sourced firmware for various mp3s. It takes quite a while to make one, but it's great. It gets emulators, gapless playback, and brings out the player's fullest potiencial.

You can go ahead and buy an Apple product, I don't care. The only reason why I said that, is because he was claiming it was the best product in the world, and calling everything garbage. That's what ticked me off.

Sansa Clip. It's the size of the Ipod shuffe, but it actually has a screen, really good sound quality, really cheap, etc.

Taken from Cnet.
Ipod Shuffle's overall score: 6.3
Sansa Clip's overall score: 7.5

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks ojsinnerz, at least now I can forget about the Shuffle.
smile.gif

Just a damn shame this thing doesn't take microSDHC cards... anyone have any more recommendations, this is a real headache deciding what to get lol.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ackers said:
Thanks ojsinnerz, at least now I can forget about the Shuffle.
smile.gif

Just a damn shame this thing doesn't take microSDHC cards... anyone have any more recommendations, this is a real headache deciding what to get lol.

Oh. You wanted something that takes Micro sdhc cards? Then there's the Sansa Fuze, which is a little smaller than the new ipod nanos. It can still does just as much, and takes micro sdhc cards.

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rockbox is great. I used it on an old Archos Jukebox.
Unfortunately, no device currently in production will run Rockbox AFAIK.
Please correct me if this is not true.
If they ever get it running on a Fuze, I would probably buy one - otherwise no.

Sandisk is stupid for not helping Rockbox with the port.

grog.gif
lecture.gif

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
BurlyEd said:
Rockbox is great. I used it on an old Archos Jukebox.
Unfortunately, no device currently in production will run Rockbox AFAIK.
Please correct me if this is not true.
If they ever get it running on a Fuze, I would probably buy one - otherwise no.

Sandisk is stupid for not helping Rockbox with the port.

grog.gif
lecture.gif

D2 is still available. The Rockbox is still under construction for it, as of the moment.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Or you could go for the upcoming Creative Mozaic. That looks pretty flashy (depends on your taste) and it's apparently around $130US for 8GB.

http://sg.creative.com/products/product_Cr...p;product=17897

As zidane_genome said, the Creative Vision:M is awesome. I've also had mine for 2 years and there's nothing wrong with it save the large size.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I ended up buying the Sansa Clip after spending a long 4 hours in the #anythingbutipod irc channel.
blink.gif

I hope it was worth it.

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally own a 16GB Sandisk Sansa View. Love it!!

It is great for music, last about 30 hrs on an average charge. (lower volume and dont use backlight). I have never used it for video, so I couldnt tell you about video quality and battery life.

The music sounds great, just be sure to upgrade the headphones, much like any other mp3 player.

If you want somthing small, maybe the Sansa Clip would be appropriate. It is really small and takes MicroSD cards to expand space.

The best part is, it uses Windows Media Player to sync the sansa and the music to the sansa. Love it more than iTunes!

Hope this helps.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
suppachipmunk said:

Is that newer or older than the Sansa Fuze? Damn it even looks exactly like the Fuze!

suppachipmunk said:
If you want somthing small, maybe the Sansa Clip would be appropriate. It is really small and takes MicroSD cards to expand space.

The Clip doesn't take microSD cards. It's a real shame because I have a spare 4gb card and I didn't want to buy a Fuze just for it's microSD slot.

QUOTE(suppachipmunk @ Jul 29 2008, 01:31 PM)
The best part is, it uses Windows Media Player to sync the sansa and the music to the sansa. Love it more than iTunes!

Hope this helps.

What does it mean to sync up with WMP?

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To add my views to the pile here...

I'm kinda disappointed with my iPod (Video, 30GB). Granted, I got it for the storage space, but even then, it acts like a roach motel. Yeah, it plays music, and yeah it's good for portability, but the thing is so...strange with its storage though. Let's say that I have a good bunch of music to send to a friend. I can't just drag the files from iTunes and just throw them into a .zip (never worked for me thus far). I have to open up Winamp, and then search for the specific song and THEN get the exact path from the iPod. This is another thing that gets me about it. The folders and files are sorted in some bass-ackwards method. All hidden folders, starting from F00 going through Fwhatever. And then the files inside are any random four letters.mp3. Can't wait to find SHIT.mp3 or FUCK.mp3 or HELL.mp3.

I really would have liked for it to be just plain drag-and-drop. Which, given my luck, it probably is, just that when you do the music transfer through iTunes, it gets fucked up like that. Silly me. =\ Oh well, I guess I can spend a weekend moving all of the files to my laptop and trying to sort them out. Renaming is going to be a bitch though, yeehaw.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ackers said:
suppachipmunk said:

Is that newer or older than the Sansa Fuze? Damn it even looks exactly like the Fuze!

suppachipmunk said:

The Clip doesn't take microSD cards. It's a real shame because I have a spare 4gb card and I didn't want to buy a Fuze just for it's microSD slot.

QUOTE(suppachipmunk @ Jul 29 2008, 01:31 PM)

Hope this helps.

What does it mean to sync up with WMP?

The View is older than the Fuze, because Fuze is their newest model.

View is bigger than the fuze. It's got a 2.4 inch screen, and it's sold at a decent price for the capacity. Of course, it's more expensive than the Fuze or the Clip.

I didn't like it that much, but it's decent, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...