Hacking need an answer for 1st time buyer

innercy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi. i already look around, searching for an answer but i quite confuse. i wanna buy new wii but haven't decided yet cus there are so many package from my local shop.

1. is there any modchip that can load 90% or more backup games with any region?. as an example, running all backup (ntsc/uc,jap/pal) using jap wii.

2. i heard we can load backup game using backup loader without using a modchip. so what the benefit by installing a modchip in my wii?. in my local shop, they include different brand of modchip, mainly d2ckey and d2pro. they claim, by using only modchip, we can only run around 70-80% of backup. they tell me they will install a homebrew so i can play all games... back to the question, why they install modchip when we can achieve playing backup using backup loader.

3. currently, in my area they selling jap wii with english menu. i'm not really sure about it. is there any problem with this kind of wii?. plus they also have pure english wii but with much higher price than "modded jap-->english menu" wii. i'm afraid i will encounter compatibility issues, so i need to make sure i buy a right wii.

eternus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't want to bother putting a mod-chip. That will definately void your wii warranty (if new). With a software (e.g. backup launcher by wiigator) then you might be able to remove all traces of it if something ever happens with your wii. (assuming you don't lock it up)

Both are risky but I find the software solution is less of a risk.

Having a mod chip might help the animations/videos on some games run better/faster but the software fixes are quickly catching up to do the same. Lots of good programmers doing great work on these (such as waninkoko and wiigator). Also, software fix is all free where adding a mod chip is not. There is a wiikipedia page with info on what works and what does not work with Backup launcer software. (do a search on these forums for the link) Look at it and if you see most of the games you want to play are on that list, the software solution might be good enough for you.

I don't know about the japanese wii with english menus. Might give you trouble trying to find out which games/backups run better on it. Both use NTSC type games. PAL is for europe games.

Hope this helps a bit...

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
In my opinion the price is not all that different really. I still say the mod chip wins. Really the only games you can play with a modchip (and with no homebrew) are the Wiiware/VC games.

Yes, I will grant you a mod chip costs money and homebrew is free. However to counter that I would add that to buy a copy of Zelda ISNT free. Sure you could buy it used or rent it. But still. Not free.

Not only that but the modchip allows you to do things that homebrew cant (at least not now, probably never) Examples of this would be to use Twilight Hack/Starfall with a backed up Twilight Princess (I think) or an Autoboot disk.

SOrry if all my terms arent accurate, but I believe a modchip (in conjuction with homebrew) is best.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a hardmod will always be better, its just that a softmod is really good enough for most people, but i would always recommend a hardmod, with a good chip as well, and as far as i know, a good modchip has 100% compatibility with backups, at least from my experience

blazingwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend a mod-chip because games work 100%, with my Wiikey I haven't had a single game not play. I've tried probably over 50 games, both from NTSC and PAL regions (I have a NTSC Wii.) I guess its woth $50 to know all games will work. You don't have to worry about compatability or the author releasing updates. (Well not really, there are chip firmware updates but whatever.)

innercy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DaMummy said:
a hardmod will always be better, its just that a softmod is really good enough for most people, but i would always recommend a hardmod, with a good chip as well, and as far as i know, a good modchip has 100% compatibility with backups, at least from my experience

how about d2pro or d2ckey?. consider it good?. since i also luv jap games, i want to make sure my wii will support both ntsc/u and j. currently my choice either buying us wii or jap wii with modded English menu...

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
innercy said:
DaMummy said:

how about d2pro or d2ckey?. consider it good?. since i also luv jap games, i want to make sure my wii will support both ntsc/u and j. currently my choice either buying us wii or jap wii with modded English menu...

I've been using d2pro for a few months now and haven't run into a single game I couldn't play. Plus they (d2pro people) just released a new firmware update to block updates for any or all regions of your choice, so no need to worry about someone else "accidentally" updating your Wii.
I'd just load GeckoOS or Starfall if you want thew ability to run games from any region.
Plus modchips make it a lot easier to repair your Wii if you brick it.

-FTen

innercy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ften said:
I've been using d2pro for a few months now and haven't run into a single game I couldn't play. Plus they (d2pro people) just released a new firmware update to block updates for any or all regions of your choice, so no need to worry about someone else "accidentally" updating your Wii.
I'd just load GeckoOS or Starfall if you want thew ability to run games from any region.
Plus modchips make it a lot easier to repair your Wii if you brick it.

-FTen

does it mean if i have modded us wii, it only can play us games?. i wonder how good is the compatibility running other region games... is there any list that i can refer?...

QUOTE(kj4860 @ Nov 22 2008, 07:45 AM) simple answer:

hardmod>softmod

then Starfall your Wii...you'll be in wonder land.

btw, do u have any link regarding starfall..

innercy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks.. seem got quite a lot of loader like gecko os and backup loader.. i think modchip is better for me..

india3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
yes, i faced the same problem, and i cam to the conclusiong that a modchip is much better. pretty much the same reasons as the posts above. and yes, most modchips will work out cheaper (unless you do a preosldered) than the twilight hack.

eternus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geez... you peeps are going to convince me to get a modchip as well...

I already had Legend of Zelda and a few other games so the software solution was no money out of my pocket. So far all the games I have as backup work so I don't yet see a need for the modchip. Maybe the day will come but by then perhaps nintendo will have their next generation wii out. I heard it might have a camera that detects your body movement... that will be sweeeeeet. (there goes the furniture in the living room)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: more like Oh oh oh [splat] ahhhhh