need advice, trying to learn some programming (to get some cert.)?!

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
hey guys, currently unemployed so i got lots of free time i guess..
and i feel bad for not using it more wisely.

the only passion i sort of have goes towards fitness and computers (tech).
so i was thinking of learning some IT related things , maybe tilting towards something like a system administrator etc.

what is required , uni/college is out of question for me though.
i only want some cert.

i was looking up courses online, there's udemy etc.
what is a good worthy one, and where should i start.

i have the basic knowledge, e.g Microsoft office/CMD/power shell etc.
and well formatting pcs/replacing drives and whatnot.

but i know only the basics , i want to learn more just so that i have more job opportunities later on..

id like to work on servers and maintaining computers etc.
i think iirc. i read here some of you tempers do this kind of thing.

just let me know where itd be best to start, and thanks!!

BigPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, maintaining servers and computers is more IT Support than Development.

You may want to look at the Microsoft MCSA + CompTia A+ Certification.

I used to work for one of the biggest software development company and based on what I remember being told, the IT Support guys needed Microsoft & CompTia Certs.

If you want to try the software development path, you can install python and have fun. However, without a college or university degree, it might be difficult to find a job if you are not a born-to-be programmer.

Last edited by BigPanda,
Reactions: leonmagnus99

JohnGT

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Learn PHP, a scripting language, to get know in general how programming works. Then learning how it is used to create web pages and access databases. Or Python, it's like PHP but more abstract. Not much for web or databases but it's the same across Windows and Unix. Python, in my opinion, also is the most compact language if it comes to programming techniques, if that makes sense.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Learn PHP, a scripting language, to get know in general how programming works. Then learning how it is used to create web pages and access databases. Or Python, it's like PHP but more abstract. Not much for web or databases but it's the same across Windows and Unix. Python, in my opinion, also is the most compact language if it comes to programming techniques, if that makes sense.

nais, i want to focus on just one, what you think i should put focus on, java or python?
python looks fun

BigPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Python is great for learning.

PHP is very easy to learn and have a syntax somewhat similar to C but the issue is you also need to learn ... HTML, Javascript, CSS, SQL.

But honnestly, if I may, after doing some tutorials, you might want to focus on designing application on paper and split your design into multiple variables and functions.

Coding is one thing but the most important thing is to understand what you have to do and have the ability to split the actions properly in order to have it properly structured and implemented.

I think it is very important to take time to think about how you would structure your application instead of just coding it.

After understanding the principles of programming, it will be easier to learn.

Python.org have a great documentation and tutorials.

JohnGT

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
nais, i want to focus on just one, what you think i should put focus on, java or python?
python looks fun

If you want to start just now then download and install Python here:
https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/

Just stick with version 3.x, updating to latest, if any, wont be of any importance.
Download one named "Windows x86-64 executable installer" there.

What this will give you is that you will be able to execute created python (.py) script files just the same way as the batch (.bat) script files.

Follow online tutorials, create the python file in the windows explorer, and copy-paste the examples.
Then open command prompt, cmd.exe (the console), and if you have a file say "hello.py", launch it by simply typing its name.
The beginner examples are all going to be just about printing the text to the console.
Python will also report errors, with the line numbers as their most important part, so you should learn how to understand them, early too. You should have a text editor that shows line numbers too.

Alterantively, instead of the script files, Python can be used in an interactive mode. I never use it myself, but its just about typing code line by line. First you start Python interactively, ie. by simply typing 'python' in the console, then you type your code.
This method is intended for learning and it will print results back in the next line, each after the enter key pressed.

Use youtube videos, search for eg: "Python for beginners".

Also, or maybe even better, is to get to know what programming is about in general.
Search for: "Concepts in programming".
This video seems to be a good ansver:

Last edited by JohnGT,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Certifications that employers care about cost a lot of money. Eg the ones I have cost more than $300 per exam attempt, but my work paid for them (they probably get a bulk discount). Don't bother looking for free or cheap ones, they won't look good. If you do want to get formal certifications, read loads of job ads and look for what certifications it says are required. Then you can see what employers want. You can also call the contact person for a job and ask what certifications would be desirable, in case they're not listed.

If you can't afford any formal training and you want to get a job, develop a portfolio. Spend loads of time developing interesting projects, put them under version control, and link to them when applying for jobs. In your cover letter you can talk about projects that are relevant to the job and show how you have the skills required for it.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
python looks fun

I did a course at udemy for python. And i choosed the "Python Bootcamp". It is defintily not super easy, you have to think and learn. But the teacher explained it very good. And there are a lot of exercises in the course.
I learned a lot. And normally the courses at udemy costs like 200$ or so, but they have always this advertising thing like "Courses from €9.99| Hot savings so you can make it happen 3 days left! blablabla"
And so I got my Python Course for 9,99 which extremly cheap for what you get. I personally love it.

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
erm, not really any way to get cert without College or uni. but your best bet would be to just start messing with code, Youtube video's, and online tutorials
Ehm what ur talking about? A lot of websites provide legit certificates and exams you can attend..

MeowMeowMeow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unless the exam is taken in an exam centre, employers aren't going to care about it (you could get anyone to do an online exam for you)
Well, you can take a exam with a webcam, a teacher monitors you then, you have to show your room with no books around or other people. Its pretty strict. Or you can take a exam in class.

MeowMeowMeow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Possibly, but they wouldn't be recognised by an employer
Not true, they would. For example exin.com has a really good name. And if you are a good programmer, can show some skills and have some good certicates an employer would welcome you with open arms, specialy in IT.

Last edited by MeowMeowMeow,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Not true, they would. For example exin.com has a really good name. And if you are a good programmer, can show some skills and have some good certicates an employer would welcome you with open arms, specialy in IT.
They wouldn't. Like I said in my post before, before spending money on anything like that you would want to research job ads, and see what certifications are required. If a job ad doesn't mention any, then you can phone the contact person and ask them what certifications would give you an edge over other applicants.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over