Gaming Need a Video Card

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I posted before I needed more RAM so thats on my list, NOW I need a video card the one I have now is on board and it eats RAM for breakfeast...... I'm looking along the lines of what I have now and I want something similar to my nVidia GeForce 6100 but with more kick (Obviously), like something from the GeForce 8 series can you help? I don't know what type of slot I have i'm going to have to check.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Usually the 8800 GT(X/S???) is usually recommended for the 8 series. But I think there was a new ATI card out that people liked to mention. I think it was the ATI 4850/70?

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'll need to give us your motherboard info.. I suggest checking using CPU-Z and then posting it here.

But since you have a GeForce 6100 I assume it's a low-end nForce 5 series motherboard, which means you have a PCI-Express bus.

You might need to check the amperage and wattage on your power supply.. recent cards are power-hungry.

But back on topic, an excellent card for its price is Radeon 4850, which can be found in Canada for around $170, so I'd expect it to be slightly cheaper in the States.

Alternatively if you would prefer to stay on the green team, 9800GT or GTX is a decent performing card, but is a bit more expensive than ATI's offering.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought depending on your motherboard you could only choose between two types of graphics cards ATI and nVidia. Oh and my graphics slot PCI Express x16

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sjones900 said:
I thought depending on your motherboard you could only choose between two types of graphics cards ATI and nVidia. Oh and my graphics slot PCI Express x16

That's only true if you plan on using multi-gpu setups.

Only Nvidia chipsets currently support SLi, while ATI/AMD and Intel support CrossFire.

But I strongly advise against multi-gpu setups as it's not worth the extra cost of another card for the extra performance. (usually less than 50%)

In general, if you're running a single card, it's pretty much universal.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the info

screen3.jpg

Motherboard info

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't AMD's Sempron considered the low-budget processor line like Intel's Celeron?

Game will not perform well on it.

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your CPU will bottleneck the performance of a new video card, but you'll see a performance gain regardless.

If you're really wanting to play games, I would go with a mid ranged card like the Radeon 4850 and use it for now, and wait until Nehalem (Intel's next architecture) is released later this year before upgrading CPU and motherboard.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the other topic you said you were using an Nvidia 6800. Now I am curious because according to CPU-Z you are using an onboard nvidia 6100. Did you mean the onboard 6100 Video Card or do you have a 6800 in your PC?

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pimpmynintendo said:
On the other topic you said you were using an Nvidia 6800. Now I am curious because according to CPU-Z you are using an onboard nvidia 6100. Did you mean the onboard 6100 Video Card or do you have a 6800 in your PC?

I was just guessing at the time but I knew for certain it had to in the 6 series. Sorry if I confused you but even cpu-z shows my graphics slot is empty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc