Need a texture hack tutorial

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by KiiWii, Sep 16, 2010.

Sep 16, 2010

Need a texture hack tutorial by KiiWii at 1:48 AM (748 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. KiiWii
    OP

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've done a bit of searching and come up with next to nothing, but what I need to do (to mortal kombat 2: preferably for the SNES) is this:

* Edit character names throughout

* Edit a couple of textures (namely Dan "TOASTY" Forden's face)

* Recolour characters

* Edit a few words in the story text and alter words that pop-up (like "finish him"/"flawless victory")

I have the roms, I have a bunch of tools from zophar's domain, but have been unable to extract or even locate any thing tangible within the rom.

Any help or tutorials would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

2. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    Just to let you know, you're not talking about texture hacking, that's primarily in 3D games. You mean editing text, palettes, and sprites. Hopefully that knowledge can help you find what you need in Google.

Also, often, different games store their text or sprites differently, so you might not be able to find a tool to edit those things. If you take the time to learn ROM hacking you'd be able to edit the text with a hex editor, and possibly make a program to extract and reinsert sprites into Mortal Kombat. (Maybe such a thing already exists, I have no idea)

3. KiiWii
    OP

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yeah iv searched high and low for the last 4hrs and come up with nothing. I have a palette/sprite editors, but nothing I can physically see or extract within the editor looks like anything I can recognise in the game.

A tutorial I found used zelda as a reference and said to "scroll down till you see link" in that example it works perfectly, but in my case it seems to not work at all and it all looks like static fuzz..... zzzzz

There are countless hacks available in rom or ips format, but seemingly no reference material as to how to start doing this.