Need a little help with CrystalTile2

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by kosheh, Apr 25, 2010.

Apr 25, 2010
  1. kosheh

Member kosheh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 3, 2009
    United States
    anyway, it wasn't a problem on XP but now that I'm 7 it seems to have broken the context menu for the text/codepages.
    Instead of seeing things like "UTF-8 (Unicode)" and "Shift-JIS (Japanese)"...instead, I get this:

Pretty simple question; is there any way to fix that and make the names appear for each codepage?
    I have a feeling FAST might be able to answer this one, lol
  2. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

May 28, 2008
    I have been using it without that ever since I been using CT2
    Didn't even know it could be viewed that way...
    I ususally just end up slowly looking through each one til the proper one is found or going the round about way of opening what I know is a text file in emeditor looking up in emeditor the character codevalue then using that to look up the table file and code page. not really that much trouble...
    I know this doesn't answer your question but if you don't get one it will help.
  3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    First are you using the last "free" version or a more current one you have to register?

That looks like either the windows 7 APIs changed and broke it or crystaltile2 did not use it correctly in the first place and windows 7 "fixed" a bug (or both).

Afraid I have no idea here beyond perhaps trying the compatibility layer of 7 (assuming it has changed maybe even a kludge like making a system32 folder and sticking said DLL file in there or possibly in the same directory as crystaltile2) or just suffering and using , or something like it. For what it is worth the top on is usually default/ASCII, 932 is shiftJIS and EUC-JP is 20932, aside from varying flavours of unicode which often do not show courtesy of the unaligned nature of roms (8 bit alignment rather than 16- something that can also trouble some basic SHIFTJIS decoders) those are the big ones in roms. Other than that you will probably be using a table.

I will ask though does it matter if you remove the translation file (the one in the same directory with a name the same as the codepage your machine uses- hopefully you have Chinese support but it should not matter if not). If it works in Chinese you might have a chance of sorting something.