Hardware Need a little help please to identify "something" on an very old Mainboard.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.😉

What could this green Mass be ?

It is from an 386DX Octek Jaguar V Mainboard,which is working by the Way.

IMAG5670.jpg

Thank you for your Help.❤️😉👍

Reactions: KleinesSinchen
Solution
it's resin/solder mask that's used to protect repairwork done on traces, basically the same stuff that's on the entire rest of the motherboard

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unrelated:
I see no HDD controller onboard. Do you have a controller ISA card? My 80386SX based computer has one (and 8MB of RAM).

Unfortunately most of this old stuff is dying or already completely broken. Even if the mainboard is still working. AT power supplies are waaaay too old by now and often leave us with a last sad spark.

Today I brought a complete series of 850MB WD Caviar HDDs from 1996 to the junkyard (with a lot of other scrap). Few HDDs from that time are working normally (and often BIOS won't accept more than 500MB).
An Adaptec ISA card might be an alternative for using SCSI drives (HDD, optical drives, tape drives).

It would be interesting to know how you build your retro PC.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True of what the others say it is. I was watching a YT on other ways of soldering [because I shake too much], and saw someone using that stuff. :)

I'm not telling ANYONE yet, But an i7 chip might be in the works very soon :hrth::toot::grog::bow::grog::toot::hrth:

:angry: Damn it! Me n my BIG :ohnoes:

Last edited by AncientBoi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol