NDSL repair - top screen replacement questions

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lunafish, Jul 29, 2010.

Jul 29, 2010
  1. lunafish
    OP

Newcomer lunafish Newbie

New Zealand
    My son broke the hinge, and then eventually the ribbon cable connecting the top screen and the motherboard in his DS. I've purchased a replacement screen and hinges, and carefully dismantled the DS. I wanted to test the new screen before fully reassembling it, so connected both screens to the motherboard, set it in the bottom shell with the battery, and turned it on. The green light comes on briefly, the bottom screen flashes white, then the light goes off. I've reseated the ribbon to the new top screen numerous times, which has made no difference. I haven't soldered the speakers to the new screen yet (I'm not great at soldering, so wanted to be sure things would work before i attempted it), does anyone know if the speakers not being there could be part of the problem? I don't know a huge amount about electronics, but had this vague idea that the speaker connections might be necessary to complete a circuit or something. Is it likely I've received a faulty new screen?

I did notice that on the back of the new screen, where the line of cable connects to the main cable with a solder dot, that this is firmly connected on the old one, and not connected on the new one (the solder lifts away from the cable). Is this likely to be a cause of the fault? I tried turning it on with a little pressure applied to that spot, so that it was making a connection, but that also made no difference.

I appreciate any help people can give, as I'm sure you can tell I'm new at this [​IMG]

2. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    Well, I'm pretty sure that the speakers not being soldered is not affecting the connection. I'm not too sure about the cable thingie on the back though.

Are you sure the ribbon cable is in all the way in the motherboard part? Most people have trouble there because the cable isn't in all the way so the connection is not complete.

3. lunafish
    OP

Newcomer lunafish Newbie

New Zealand
    I've removed and reinserted the cable from the top screen more times than I can count, made sure it's as far in as i can push it, still no change.