Homebrew [NDS] Yet Another nds-bootstrap Forwarder: more than 40 forwarders are now possible

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True Thanks for pull me back in for little extra effort to catch up now I say it's BEER:30 now

Attachments

• 20220310_165843.jpg
    20220310_165843.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some apps require you manually set the python location, but I think that second one is yours, right? they can use the environmental setting though to find where it's located, which it seems to have done. no idea what could be wrong here though.

Reactions: FanNintendo

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some things also don't run well with python 3, so I have 2.7 installed on my system as well as the latest python 3. you could try installing it, check the box again, then go through pip.etc. again to see if it's rectified.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some apps require you manually set the python location, but I think that second one is yours, right? they can use the environmental setting though to find where it's located, which it seems to have done. no idea what could be wrong here though.
I am hoping that @lifehackerhansol or @Pk11 have time to review this conversation and help me out some of day when they get time. I appreciate your great help my friend @godreborn

LeMelleKH2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all. Sorry to bug again. I have two quick issues.
1. I have two ROMs that when I load says: "the dsi binaries are missing. Please obtain a clean ROM." I am able to boot into DS mode, but then the icon gets jarbled. Any way to fix the icon?
2. I am unable to use widescreen. I coped the pack as instructed in the YANBF instructions
Update: I tested in my dsi Twilight menu and there was no issue with the binary and the icon jarbling up. Any ideas what might be causing it?

LeMelleKH2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update 2: So I made the new hack ROM from my own clean White 2 cartridge and I still have the issue with the ds binary and messed up icon. Any ideas? Sorry to bug again and thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.50.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.50.31 PM.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 55
Last edited by LeMelleKH2,

vanhouten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update 2: So I made the new hack ROM from my own clean White 2 cartridge and I still have the issue with the ds binary and messed up icon. Any ideas? Sorry to bug again and thanks!
The messed up icon is because it's either animated or DSi enhanced. There are a few games with broken icons because of that (Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem came up a few pages ago).

RocketRobz mentioned them in the Forwarder3DS thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/
And he has fixed icons for the games that have broken icons: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/igr47pr0q5bh4p5/AAA9Dy8VOGfBLUA6KdLDSDW-a?dl=0

Forwarder3DS lets you import the fixed icon to replace the broken one when creating the CIA, but unfortunately I don't believe YANBF allows that at this time. I think there are only 6 games or so affected by this issue, so I would say use Forwarder3DS for those and use YANBF for everything else.

Last edited by vanhouten,

LeMelleKH2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The messed up icon is because it's either animated or DSi enhanced. There are a few games with broken icons because of that (Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem came up a few pages ago).

RocketRobz mentioned them in the Forwarder3DS thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/
And he has fixed icons for the games that have broken icons: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/igr47pr0q5bh4p5/AAA9Dy8VOGfBLUA6KdLDSDW-a?dl=0

Forwarder3DS lets you import the fixed icon to replace the broken one when creating the CIA, but unfortunately I don't believe YANBF allows that at this time. I think there are only 6 games or so affected by this issue, so I would say use Forwarder3DS for those and use YANBF for everything else.
Perfect, thank you so much! Fire Emblem was indeed another messed up!

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Huh weird I coulda sworn I tested that lol, opened #8 to fix that. It's a simple fix since the games have working DS icons just the animated icons are broken. If you want you can probably download that updated bannergif.py file manually and replace the one in the generator folder.

I am hoping that @lifehackerhansol or @Pk11 have time to review this conversation and help me out some of day when they get time. I appreciate your great help my friend @godreborn

Hmm... What's the full error about "can't find file [...]"? generator.py I assume? Make sure that file exists where it's looking and if not maybe try redownload and make sure you extracted everything.

If it is there, maybe try moving it so that there aren't any spaces in the file path? Dunno if it's an issue here but spaces have a habit of breaking things.

LeMelleKH2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh weird I coulda sworn I tested that lol, opened #8 to fix that. It's a simple fix since the games have working DS icons just the animated icons are broken. If you want you can probably download that updated bannergif.py file manually and replace the one in the generator folder.

Hmm... What's the full error about "can't find file [...]"? generator.py I assume? Make sure that file exists where it's looking and if not maybe try redownload and make sure you extracted everything.

If it is there, maybe try moving it so that there aren't any spaces in the file path? Dunno if it's an issue here but spaces have a habit of breaking things.
Thanks so much!
Also if it's not too much of a bother, I cant get the widescreen to work. Is there something else I have to install to get it working?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much!
Also if it's not too much of a bother, I cant get the widescreen to work. Is there something else I have to install to get it working?
Try replacing sd:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/sdcard.nds with the one from this post.

Also make sure you followed TWiLight Menu++'s widescreen guide without missing any steps, though you can optionally put the CXI at sd:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/Widescreen.cxi instead.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is great.
Currently few ... Improvements that could be there but is not much of an issue for me is having maybe a batch file made for more nooby people who cannot do them themselves (For me; it is I can, but I gotta do lot of googling for it too, not a big CLI user usually) - maybe one that takes a drag and dropped file and processes it. Also, if the tool fails to find a boxart online, it just faults without giving choices. I have not yet delved deeper; like if banner for technically-3DS-title is absolutely necessary, but for me box art free shortcut, if possible, would be a choice I'd like to be presented. If this is not possible though, I guess sourcing your own image for these titles suffices.
The fault must be there. I don't have a way around it. You absolutely require a banner to be on the HOME menu.
You can present your own boxart using --boxart <boxart location>.

Also, not sure why you're using CLI. A GUI is provided, with custom boxart options.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really an update, but more of a PSA, since this seems to be a fairly common problem:

I've made it so that now there is a standalone program, so Python is no longer required. However, the GUI program is not adapted to this, and I genuinely have no idea how to do it myself, nothing I do in the GUI's code works. Also I'm not a JS dev and the GUI is Electron XD

So I won't be making any releases until the GUI can be fixed up. Once it does though, hopefully more brain cells can be preserved.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The fault must be there. I don't have a way around it. You absolutely require a banner to be on the HOME menu.
You can present your own boxart using --boxart <boxart location>.

Also, not sure why you're using CLI. A GUI is provided, with custom boxart options.
I kinda missed the GUI package. I just followed the usage writeup from github and I am maybe bit too used to 3DS hacking scene and doing things instructed to do on CLI. For example, all the very, VERY original A9LH installation stuff and so on. The tool does look nice so good I am aware of it for more shortcuts. Thanks for the tool!

To add, I already was having Windows Terminal open in the folder I put generator into, doing the pip upgrade and all.

Also also: Your GUI tool has installer's icon on my PC while it did not act at all like an installer, so now I am thinking someone has access to all my videogame addiction evidence. Just bit of me learned young and hard that clicking on installer packages is bad for your computer's future. Or at least your OS installation that MF will be taken back of the house and given the go at least. Well, newest one I've seen was NodeJS exe so kinda whatever.

Edit and addition also: One thing that could be nifty is to have a 3D banner maybe with DS startup sound, though this is harder than a simple 2D banner. Maybe just use the GBA virtual console as template since it is just a rectangle with screenshot of the game but that is extra work I would think someone who can and is willing to do it would do, if possible in same streamlined manner that GBA injector does. I know very well as end user with limited knowledge things that seem easy may very well never be that simple, heck, I thought that DS(i) title for the shortcuts was the only way they could be made and someone proved that understanding out of the window.

Last edited by Sumea,

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I kinda missed the GUI package. I just followed the usage writeup from github and I am maybe bit too used to 3DS hacking scene and doing things instructed to do on CLI. For example, all the very, VERY original A9LH installation stuff and so on. The tool does look nice so good I am aware of it for more shortcuts. Thanks for the tool!

To add, I already was having Windows Terminal open in the folder I put generator into, doing the pip upgrade and all.

Also also: Your GUI tool has installer's icon on my PC while it did not act at all like an installer, so now I am thinking someone has access to all my videogame addiction evidence. Just bit of me learned young and hard that clicking on installer packages is bad for your computer's future. Or at least your OS installation that MF will be taken back of the house and given the go at least. Well, newest one I've seen was NodeJS exe so kinda whatever.

Edit and addition also: One thing that could be nifty is to have a 3D banner maybe with DS startup sound, though this is harder than a simple 2D banner. Maybe just use the GBA virtual console as template since it is just a rectangle with screenshot of the game but that is extra work I would think someone who can and is willing to do it would do, if possible in same streamlined manner that GBA injector does. I know very well as end user with limited knowledge things that seem easy may very well never be that simple, heck, I thought that DS(i) title for the shortcuts was the only way they could be made and someone proved that understanding out of the window.
I won't be doing a 3D banner. I have zero graphical experience, so that is far away from my skill level. I did mention in this thread that if someone is willing to get that working, feel free.

The injectors are closed source so I can't take stuff from there either. There's no open source implementation of something like this, I think. Nor a command line tool I can spawn off, and the one 3D banner creator I know of is Linux-only.

As for the icon... well the app doesn't have an icon, so it just defaulted to the default EXE icon in Windows, which most people see it as the "installer" icon, I guess. It isn't intuitive but also I can't do graphics for the life of me, I've hated it since I was little, so I doubt I can think of something creative.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I'm hoping that the next release would completely remove the need for any of what you had to do. It's taking some time because JavaScript refuses to listen to me. But I'm trying.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping that the next release would completely remove the need for any of what you had to do. It's taking some time because JavaScript refuses to listen to me. But I'm trying.
I just fixed the problem I installed newer python 3.10.2 and set the path in YANBF it's all good now thank you for respond as soon you have time. :)

Attachments

• 20220311_131830.jpg
    20220311_131830.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220311_132706.jpg
    20220311_132706.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good afternoon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I questioned a snickers bar having 42 on it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I questioned a snickers bar having 42 on it