Hacking NDS ROMS on SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katiedale73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't know if this is wishful thinking, but my R4 card has bitten the dust (I updated my 3DS XL without thinking - whoops!) and I was mooching around to see where to get a new one.

Someone suggested that it would be possible to play NDS ROMS by putting them onto the SD card of the 3DS and gave a website that has tons of games listed.

This is all great, however, I don't know the first thing about what I'm doing so please help me out!

1) - is it possible to play NDS ROMS from my SD card on my 3DS XL?

2) - if so, how do I go about it? I don't even know how to access my SD card on my 3DS, but I do know how to add files to it. Do I need specific firmware or is it literally a case of copying NDS files onto it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reactions: Margen67

Katiedale73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I suspected - too good to be true!

In that case, where would be a reputable place to get a new R4 card? Or is there anyway of salvaging my old one? I've been round and round trying to find the most up to date firmware for it, but the website I got it from is badly translated into English and I have no idea what they're talking about!

It's an R4i 3DS, from R4i-SDHC.com, if that's any help.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sure, you can technically run DS games from a SD.

It would technically look like this:
IMG_170122b.JPG

---

From the built in SD slot on a 3DS, that would be a no.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
That's what I suspected - too good to be true!

In that case, where would be a reputable place to get a new R4 card? Or is there anyway of salvaging my old one? I've been round and round trying to find the most up to date firmware for it, but the website I got it from is badly translated into English and I have no idea what they're talking about!

It's an R4i 3DS, from R4i-SDHC.com, if that's any help.

what is the number on the card, sticker, or a photo you have taken would work also
if your on 5.1.0-11 on your 3DS XL and your card doesn't have a "v4.5" on the sticker then it wont work on the latest updates

i personally prefer zhuzhuchina.com

as for cards DSTwo will never do you wrong, but they cost the most but you indeed will not need another cart again, this is because the cart can fully emulate a normal cartridge, but its what makes it cost mroe due to the face it has alot of hardware packed inside it

R4ids.cn R4i Gold 3DS is the second best card, they have very fast updates and supports by Wood, but they have had to have had a few hardware revisions in the past
and you never know when the next one is coming due to nintendo getting smarter with the updates

Katiedale73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wonder if it would still work on my son's 3DS? We bought it second-hand in January (and the little bugger had my free 3DS game download code!) and it's not been updated to my knowledge. I may see if he can use it and at least it's not wasted then.

And ouch to the cost of carts now! Back in the good old days I was given my original R4 card (for my lovely little DS Lite) by someone who had a spare. Even when it needed replacing it was about £8.00 (don't know what that equates to in $). But if the DSTwo will last me I think I'll have to shell out for one. I'm getting itchy to play the Phoenix Wright games again and they're difficult to get hold of in the UK without paying a small fortune.

Thanks for the help everyone - I'm bookmarking this site for future reference!

Katiedale73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And just to say I've ordered a DSTwo cart and it came up cheaper than I expected once the currency conversion kicked in, so thanks, once again, for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol