Homebrew Question Native Horizon Dolphin Port is it feasable?

nex86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think it would keep up performance wise because Horizon is lacking the Vulkan API.
OpenGL is slower with Dolphin I believe.

Reactions: Stealphie

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Another day, another port-begging thread.

It's not really surprising, is it ?
After all thats what the switch could really excel at...

And it has yet to prove to be beyond the WiiU in emulation means,
which did most things it can do already just aswell
(Given it has GC and Wii built in, yet that also counts)
[Still can't fathom why Nintendo can't release a USB Drive for the Dock or something to play Wii games with. *sigh*, rather remaster and resell I guess...]

It doesn't do that much else.. still yet.

Although that 51 game classic thing looks mighty fine...

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

Syph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m4wx said he isn't doing it. It had something to do with memory access I think.

I thought full memory access has managed to be achieved in horizon. It would have to be made into an .nsp though. However, even with full memory access it still needs Vulcan for decent performance.

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I thought full memory access has managed to be achieved in horizon. It would have to be made into an .nsp though. However, even with full memory access it still needs Vulcan for decent performance.

No need to make it an .nsp, launching hbmenu with full memory access will pass the memory rights to the homebrew launched from there, retroarch for example can get full memory access like this.
Anyways aren't games like Doom running on Vulkan in the Switch?

Last edited by evertonstz,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not about access to all the ram, its about some kind of direct access. Wish I could search the tweet. If it requires an NSP because title redirection won't work then that would effectively stop m4wx who is with atmosphere in being staunchly anti-pirate to the point of being anti-nsp.

Doom3 homebrew is OpenGL and commerical Doom 2016 is using Nintendo SDKs. So yeah lack of Vulkan is another issue, although a homebrew API pretty close to Vulkan and cutomized for Switch capabilities was released recently.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Its not about access to all the ram, its about some kind of direct access. Wish I could search the tweet. If it requires an NSP because title redirection won't work then that would effectively stop m4wx who is with atmosphere in being staunchly anti-pirate to the point of being anti-nsp.

Doom3 homebrew is OpenGL and commerical Doom 2016 is using Nintendo SDKs. So yeah lack of Vulkan is another issue, although a homebrew API pretty close to Vulkan and cutomized for Switch capabilities was released recently.

I don't know man, it's possible to build 100% legal nsp for a long time now, even retroarch has an nsp and m4wx fully support retroarch. I really doubt the only motive m4wx don't want to work on it is building an nsp file.

Kirby567fan

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
I don't know man, it's possible to build 100% legal nsp for a long time now, even retroarch has an nsp and m4wx fully support retroarch. I really doubt the only motive m4wx don't want to work on it is building an nsp file.
Its because of the really bad performance its going to have plus the new API doesnt support compiling shaders at runtime which is needed for Dolphin iirc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In other words its possible but games will be far from playable, unless the code is changed to make the emulator rely on GPU more than CPU which i think is impossible or close to it, not to mention that it would be hard af.

Reactions: Rahkeesh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-