Hacking NAND Restore Luma problems

vagab0nd94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello guys. My little sister was playing with my 3DS and she accidently pressed the Luma update app and everything got deleted. All my games and files are almost gone. This is the only thing left on my SD card:
oldlumapng.png

I tried to do a NAND restore but it doesnt work. It says it cant find the file. I have no idea what to do anymore I searched the whole web. I hope someone can help me.

Here are my NAND files:
nandpic.png

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you verify if the titles are still installed in the Nintendo 3DS folder? Your library might be salvageable.
  • GodMode9 → hold (R)-shoulder and press (A) on [A:] SYSNAND SDSearch for titles.
Does this list your collection of games, updates, and dlcs?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: vagab0nd94

vagab0nd94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can you verify if the titles are still installed in the Nintendo 3DS folder? Your library might be salvageable.
  • GodMode9 → hold (R)-shoulder and press (A) on [A:] SYSNAND SDSearch for titles.
Does this list your collection of games, updates, and dlcs?

It says [search for files] and when I press A, I get this:

20200129_232259.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is what I get when I try to restore my nand backup

20200129_232610.jpg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im currently away from home, typing this on phone.

I want to believe your sister used the Luma Updater app, but clues with the missing titles searched in GM9 as seen in the noob threads points to BaamAlex's suspicion she erased everything from a Format System Memory.

There's the small possibility she's telling the truth. Missing games could be caused by fake SD card.

If you restore your SysNAND *.bin image that happens to be created on a fake card, that image will be garbage and it'll softbrick your 3DS.

Someone else link to OP about copying off everything his card, FAT32 reformat, and h2testw the empty carf.

Edit - forgot to add. Before using h2testw, maybe can the card with data recovery programs

vagab0nd94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im currently away from home, typing this on phone.

I want to believe your sister used the Luma Updater app, but clues with the missing titles searched in GM9 as seen in the noob threads points to BaamAlex's suspicion she erased everything from a Format System Memory.

There's the small possibility she's telling the truth. Missing games could be caused by fake SD card.

If you restore your SysNAND *.bin image that happens to be created on a fake card, that image will be garbage and it'll softbrick your 3DS.

Someone else link to OP about copying off everything his card, FAT32 reformat, and h2testw the empty carf.

Edit - forgot to add. Before using h2testw, maybe can the card with data recovery programs

Fake sd card oh. Its a kingston card I bought from a market in the netherlands. It looked real and legit.

Yeah she is 10 and pressed that one on accident and pressed A on something she said.

I would really appreciate that link with a guide.

What data recovery software do you recommend ? Thanks for the help and effort.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fake sd card oh. Its a kingston card I bought from a market in the netherlands. It looked real and legit.

Yeah she is 10 and pressed that one on accident and pressed A on something she said.

I would really appreciate that link with a guide.

What data recovery software do you recommend ? Thanks for the help and effort.

To test the card's condition and attempt data recovery,
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Attempt retrieving lost or deleted files by scanning with a data recovery software.
    • Here's a curated list of data recovery programs.
    • If you're financially broke and your morals are flexible, you may need to look around for cracked versions. No assistance on where to search.
  3. Quadruple reformat the SD card.
  4. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
  5. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files. Copy everything back to the card.
    • :!: If an error was reported, the hardware failed card will need to be replaced. Go back to step 1.

However, if she did go into:
  • System SettingsOther SettingsFormat System Memory
, that means everything that was installed in the Nintendo 3DS folder was permanently deleted. I can tell you there's no possibility recovering anything from that folder if it was removed from a Format System Memory. Those listed popular data recovery software will not work since Nintendo did a bang of a job erasing stuff.

If you want to know if the SysNAND *.bin image is still intact,
  • GodMode9 → [0:] SDCARD (NOLABEL)/.../<date>_<serial>_sysnand_###.bin → Press (A) → Calculate SHA-256.
    • You'll want the <date>_<serial>_sysnand_###.bin.sha in the same directory as the *.bin.
Good to use:
  • SHA verification: passed!
Image is junk (get rid of it):
  • SHA verification: failed!

To restore the SysNAND with a (good) image:
  • Press (A) on the *.bin image → NAND image options...Restore SysNAND (Safe)

Keep in mind restoring the SysNAND *.bin image will not bring back the deleted Nintendo 3DS folder.

If you want to prevent your sister from accessing System Settings again, you can Rosalina menu inject Homebrew Launcher to it.
Unlike the other system titles, none of the 3DSX apps will work and pressing the (HOME) button will exit Homebrew Launcher and return to HOME Menu.

vagab0nd94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To test the card's condition and attempt data recovery,
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Attempt retrieving lost or deleted files by scanning with a data recovery software.
    • Here's a curated list of data recovery programs.
    • If you're financially broke and your morals are flexible, you may need to look around for cracked versions. No assistance on where to search.
  3. Quadruple reformat the SD card.
  4. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
  5. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files. Copy everything back to the card.
    • :!: If an error was reported, the hardware failed card will need to be replaced. Go back to step 1.

However, if she did go into:
  • System SettingsOther SettingsFormat System Memory
, that means everything that was installed in the Nintendo 3DS folder was permanently deleted. I can tell you there's no possibility recovering anything from that folder if it was removed from a Format System Memory. Those listed popular data recovery software will not work since Nintendo did a bang of a job erasing stuff.

If you want to know if the SysNAND *.bin image is still intact,
  • GodMode9 → [0:] SDCARD (NOLABEL)/.../<date>_<serial>_sysnand_###.bin → Press (A) → Calculate SHA-256.
    • You'll want the <date>_<serial>_sysnand_###.bin.sha in the same directory as the *.bin.
Good to use:
  • SHA verification: passed!
Image is junk (get rid of it):
  • SHA verification: failed!

To restore the SysNAND with a (good) image:
  • Press (A) on the *.bin image → NAND image options...Restore SysNAND (Safe)

Keep in mind restoring the SysNAND *.bin image will not bring back the deleted Nintendo 3DS folder.

If you want to prevent your sister from accessing System Settings again, you can Rosalina menu inject Homebrew Launcher to it.
Unlike the other system titles, none of the 3DSX apps will work and pressing the (HOME) button will exit Homebrew Launcher and return to HOME Menu.

Thank you so very much for the time and effort. Your method of restoring my NAND worked. I will try the rest of the steps in a bit.

Reactions: Alexander1970

vagab0nd94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello. I am stuck again haha. I am reinstalling everything following this guide;

https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(soundhax)

I am at this step;

5. If you’ve never opened Nintendo 3DS Sound before and get tips on how to use it from a bird icon, go through all of the bird tips, then close the app normally and relaunch it

In this situation, launching Soundhax immediately would cause these tips to appear on every launch of the Nintendo 3DS Sound until this is done

6. Go to /SDCARD, then play “<3 nedwill 2016”

This may take many tries

If it freezes, just force the console to power off by holding the power button, then try again

-

When I press on the nedwill file I get this;

20200131_230718.jpg

I tried to disable arm11 exception handlers but when I then press the nedwill file again if freezes I have turned off my 3ds 20 times and pressed the file 20 times and it keeps freezing.

Last edited by vagab0nd94,

vagab0nd94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You don't need to do that. Luma is already installed.

Don't use the ( ) Disable ARM11 exception handlers in Luma3DS v#.# configuration. Uncheck mark it.

Don't use the ( ) Disable ARM11 exception handlers in Luma3DS v#.# configuration. Uncheck mark it.

Thank you. I put all the files on the card and reached step 13, it told me to press A to set the offset to 0 what and then press start to return to homebrew launcher, but I see no FBI from the list of homebrew.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My bad I forgot 2 put fbi.3dsx in the 3ds folder :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.