NAND Restore after Wii U transfer?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Xexyz, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Xexyz
    OP

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    I was just wondering if you backup the NAND before you transfer, can then you restore the NAND after the Wii U transfer? (bootmii as boot2)

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't see why you couldn't do that but just to be sure, prepare another backup after the transfer and accustom yourself with ohneswanzenegger in case things go sour.

3. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Thanks for the tips!

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    One question though - any reason why you'd want to do that? If you want to transfer pirated *.wad's onto the new system then it won't work - you have better chances using vWii on the WiiU itself. To me it seems a little bit pointless. ;)

5. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    I was just wondering if it would work. I don't want to delete my saves on my wii. I would like to have it on wii and wii u.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can copy those onto an SD card, can you not? You don't have to transfer the entire system to do it, and for all the pesky locked save files there's homebrew to unlock them. :P

7. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Didn't think of that. :wacko:

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Well done. I'm glad that I've just saved you time, effort and grey hair. :yaywii:

9. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Thanks again! :yaywii::yayu:

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I assume you mean back it up on the Wii side.

You can do that easily, transfer all your content, and keep your saves and purchased content installed on both machines. It's a rather common thing to do around here.

In fact I would recommend it. Why? Because, as it turns out, my Wii U did NOT transfer all my savegames from my Wii when I did the transfer like it was supposed to. It completely ignored a bunch of my saves during transfer, like SSBB (actually Savegame Manager GX would not transfer my SSBB save either for some reason, even though the game can read it fine on my Wii) and I'm pretty sure it ignored a lot of other ones too as my vWii Data Management has very few pages of content on it compared to my Wii.

So if I didn't have that NAND backup, it might've deleted all the saves on the Wii (it isn't supposed to touch content it doesn't transfer, but then again it's not supposed to ignore half my save files either, so the result would be unpredictable) and I would have to start over in a lot of games.