Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So ive got a 3ds XL that i need to downgrade back to 9.2. So basically I solder these 4 points to a wire, run the wire into a microSD card adapter, plug that into my computer, and slap my nand.bin in there?

The thing im most concerned about is creating the port, i dont want to wreck the actual case (Yoshi special edition), is there a simpler way i could have a permanent install, without having to cut into my case?
Sure for the 3DS XL there is a nice space and hole where the either of the lanyard holders are. You can pop one out, solder your wires in, and place the connector there. No need to drill any hole anywhere.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Sure for the 3DS XL there is a nice space and hole where the either of the lanyard holders are. You can pop one out, solder your wires in, and place the connector there. No need to drill any hole anywhere.

Oh, fantastic! I edited my other post with another question btw

Also, i would use a microusb as the connector? And just tuck it away in the corner? Do you guys have a diagram for the connections for that? Sorry im pretty new to electronics

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, fantastic! I edited my other post with another question btw

Also, i would use a microusb as the connector? And just tuck it away in the corner? Do you guys have a diagram for the connections for that? Sorry im pretty new to electronics
Not a problem on the questions. First you either choose either 4 or 7 pins, as you either use DAT0 or DAT0/1/2/3 (1x or 4x mode).

If you are going to do the microUSB there are a couple things I recommend, If you can get a microUSB male head (e.g. this) I would suggest this as you can then use the ID pin and skip the VCC pin entirely and can prevent any accidental normal USB plug in fry, maybe, I say maybe because it depends on a couple things, like the USB Data lines voltages, the distance between the Vcc and adjacent pin (arcing), and any shorting. The nice part though is you can put a little switch on the other side to disconnect those lines really easily, the CMD and CLK ones, when not in use.

This is something I use interms of a diagram but by all means not set in stone, just don't use the Vcc line unless you know what you are planning to do with it :
00_microUSB-SD-Adapter.jpg

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Not a problem on the questions. First you either choose either 4 or 7 pins, as you either use DAT0 or DAT0/1/2/3 (1x or 4x mode).

If you are going to do the microUSB there are a couple things I recommend, If you can get a microUSB male head (e.g. this) I would suggest this as you can then use the ID pin and skip the VCC pin entirely and can prevent any accidental normal USB plug in fry, maybe, I say maybe because it depends on a couple things, like the USB Data lines voltages, the distance between the Vcc and adjacent pin (arcing), and any shorting. The nice part though is you can put a little switch on the other side to disconnect those lines really easily, the CMD and CLK ones, when not in use.

This is something I use interms of a diagram but by all means not set in stone, just don't use the Vcc line unless you know what you are planning to do with it :
View attachment 18126

So in that diagram, which would be the ID pin? and I was just planning on getting a usb cable and cutting it

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yeah I was doing that before but I really really don't like using Vcc as that can fry the 3DS if someone plugs it into a normal USB connection. Here the same diagram but with the USB markings:
00_microUSB.jpg

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
ah i see, so i just use the corresponding nodes, ideally ignoring VC completely, but using all the others.
So female goes into the 3ds, male gets attached separately to the micro SD adapter, correct?

Do electronic shops like Jaycar (Australian shop) sell just micro usb male and female heads?

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the female is in the 3DS, the male is attached to the SD card adapter externally.
Ummm I wouldn't know sorry :unsure: I am located in the US. If anything you can check ebay or amazon in your locations to see if they have it.

adenayank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
newbie here please help with this question :
1. i'm on firmware v9.6.0-24 it's possible to downgrade using hardmod ?
2. can i downgrade without any nand backup?

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
newbie here please help with this question :
1. i'm on firmware v9.6.0-24 it's possible to downgrade using hardmod ?
2. can i downgrade without any nand backup?
Haha yes and no huh?

1. Well to downgrade you actually need a backup made from earlier 9.2 and below if you want to be on exploitable firmware. The backup could of been made via the Gateway 3DS or a hardmod.

2. You need a back up from your system as there is information at the time of that firmware that is very specific to your system. Each firmware has different information so you could not get someone else's and restore it.

adenayank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha yes and no huh?

1. Well to downgrade you actually need a backup made from earlier 9.2 and below if you want to be on exploitable firmware. The backup could of been made via the Gateway 3DS or a hardmod.

2. You need a back up from your system as there is information at the time of that firmware that is very specific to your system. Each firmware has different information so you could not get someone else's and restore it.

so if i not have any backup i cant downgrade any firmware :(

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
So ive got a 3ds XL that i need to downgrade back to 9.2. So basically I solder these 5 points to a wire, run the wire into a microSD card adapter, plug that into my computer, and slap my nand.bin in there?

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/File:CTR_NAND_pinout_XL.jpg

So do I solder all five points, or do I only use one of the DAT, and the DAT that I use determines write speed. Sorry if this question has been asked a million times, I was reading through the thread but im still confused.

The thing im most concerned about is creating the port, i dont want to wreck the actual case (Yoshi special edition), is there a simpler way i could have a permanent install, without having to cut into my case?

Do you have a backup of your NAND on 9.2?

You can't just downgrade a 9.3 or higher console to 9.2 or lower if you don't have a nand backup for that.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to do the 7pin mod without cutting into the case of an oXL? I don't want to wait too much since I plan to need a good bit of dumps/writes in a short period.. And the oXLs in question are hard to come by so I don't want to screw up the case

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Is there anyway to do the 7pin mod without cutting into the case of an oXL? I don't want to wait too much since I plan to need a good bit of dumps/writes in a short period.. And the oXLs in question are hard to come by so I don't want to screw up the case
only really if you could find something about the same size as a microUSB port that would fit in the wrist strap port and has 7 connections.....which is a bit hard to really get, is there any reason in paticular it has to be the 7 pin connection? do you plan on reflashing the nand regularly? if you want to keep the case in original condition just accept the lower speeds or try hunt down a more exotic connector

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only really if you could find something about the same size as a microUSB port that would fit in the wrist strap port and has 7 connections.....which is a bit hard to really get, is there any reason in paticular it has to be the 7 pin connection? do you plan on reflashing the nand regularly? if you want to keep the case in original condition just accept the lower speeds or try hunt down a more exotic connector

Not regularly but a number of times in one night, then probably never again unless I break something.
Anyway I searched USB 7pin and found this and this. I can't see the pins on the inside of the female bit so, unsure if it's really what I'm looking for or if the 2 end pins are grounds, but I haven't found somewhere to buy the male bits...

Ed: there's also the apple Lightning port/cables but as I'm not an apple person I'm unsure if that's quite small enough
Ed2: It's just that I can't stand waiting that much if the speed could be as low as 2.7MB/s and I know it can be higher with more wire and a bit more soldering...

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any recommendation on wiring for the NAND mod? I was thinking of using a microUSB female, but found that IDE cable wires are WAY too thick for that job.

I'm guessing maybe like 30 awg should work? 32AWG might be too small...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff