Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I managed to clean up the solder splash and I'm still getting the same thing.
ok it looks like there *might* be a short between 2 of the legs on the resistor array next to the loose circled component...

the one labled RA1

spoiler3.jpg

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks a little bit more cleaned up now and a multimeter doesn't show the two as being connected anymore but still I'm getting the same thing.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Looks a little bit more cleaned up now and a multimeter doesn't show the two as being connected anymore but still I'm getting the same thing.
hmmm struggling to see anything else on there.....seeing as that post i linked said the 3ds still worked without c154,,,,,,maybe just try lifting one of the sides to see if that's causing issues....other than that im kinda out of ideas

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pulled it and still nothing. I guess I can try sending it to someone more confident in this.
It was mentioned to me it might be possible to cut the traces for those pads and then just use alternate points to force erase/flash a new nand.

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, I have done a couple restores that worked great. I just have a couple questions. I noticed that I don't always get the same error codes I have seen about 3 or 4. Is that normal? Every dump from different codes is the right size and viewing in a hex editor shows the unencrypted block starting at 0x4000 so I assume the codes don't matter much.

Also I assume that as long as I always keep my confirmed working backups I am safe that I can never be permanently bricked by a bad flash. Even if I end up flashing a bad backup somehow I can just hookup again and flash a known working one.
My assumption being that nothing is on the NAND that is really needed to get the 3DS booted to the blue screen, is that right?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
From what I have gathered the error codes generally depend on the card reader, like my PC card reader generally gives a 400,whilst the usb one.I used gives somewhat random codes, if I had to guess it's probably down to how long the pc takes to take control of the nand or something like that, but yeah the codes aren't set in stone, but I think the most common is 00000400, as long as it's working I think it's all good

And yeah If you flash a bad dump you can.just overwrite it with a good one

Lingj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was able to solder everything properly but I just can't get my computer or any of my other computers to recognize the sd adapter that I'm using. I've tried two different adapters to no avail. Also do I have to use an external sd card reader to recognize it (currently using internal readers)? I do get the blue screen when I plug it in but it just won't recognize.

Squirrel61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
guys can I use nand flash dump for

You can dump the nand flash from any 3DS or 2DS with any firmware version (as long as it isn't GW-bricked). But it only makes sense if the firmware version you dump is worth restoring. Generally, any firmware version 4.50 or lower is worth dumping.

If you love hardware hacking your 3DS, I'd advise you to make the dump anyway, because it's coded with a machine specific key, which means that once a 3DS is bricked, you can't restore the dump from another 3DS on it, that simply doesn't work. When killing your nand, an earlier dump from the same 3DS is your only means of recovery.

SF1997

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
You can dump the nand flash from any 3DS or 2DS with any firmware version (as long as it isn't GW-bricked). But it only makes sense if the firmware version you dump is worth restoring. Generally, any firmware version 4.50 or lower is worth dumping.

If you love hardware hacking your 3DS, I'd advise you to make the dump anyway, because it's coded with a machine specific key, which means that once a 3DS is bricked, you can't restore the dump from another 3DS on it, that simply doesn't work. When killing your nand, an earlier dump from the same 3DS is your only means of recovery.

i well hack my 3ds but i don t know coded key 3ds

Squirrel61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You don't need to know the coded key and currently there's no way to retrieve it from your 3DS (and there probably never will be, because it's strongly encrypted). But as long as you have a nand dump, you can always restore it, you don't need the key for that.

MOHRCORE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi! I've just ended moding my 3DS Xl, but after that strange thig happens - It just can't read SD card. I've checked my wires - there is no short, but something is wrong. Maybe I've damaged motherboard, because I tried accidently to screwdrive too big screw ang it made a hole in case, but seems that everything is OK, because there's no screw, which can make hole in motherboard :/ I can't open it now - one of the screws is damaged and I just cant get rid of it. I will try to do something tomorrow. Anyone have an idea what might happend?

EDIT: I've soldered one point really high temperature (325C?) Could that damage something. Tommorow I'll check oneof chips, because I've shorted its pins accidently, but I was sure I've repaired it...

EDIT: One more thing - when I tried to use flashcard's exploit with and without SD card instead of getting just black screen - which is normal when there's no card- I got kicked to system menu and got an error. Similiar error saying that SD card apps cannot be loaded I'm getting on system startup. Console still recognises card, but just can't read it's content :/

Squirrel61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it still starting normally when you remove your sd adapter from the cardreader? (No need to desolder the wires, just pull the card and power on the 3DS)

If the 3DS doesn't start anymore, there's a chance you damaged something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!