Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
If you boot up the console at all then shut it down and make a new dump (even on the same day) the dumps will be different. Looks like the console writes something to NAND on every successful boot.

Exactly!
That's the conclusion I came to :)

Did you see my last post about read/write speeds based on "how you connect the console to the computer"?

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi guys, i gunked up my pinouts, is this still recoverable ?

The 3DS still works fine but the pinouts dont seem to conduct anymore :(
fHwywwD.jpg

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

Kane, I'm afraid there are no alternate points discovered so far, but if you still could find some contact in the pads you burned, you could try to find continuity in other points (with the help of a multimeter).
If you allow me to give you my advise, please, don't get it wrong, but even if you find other pads that could help you extract your NAND, the changes are that you burn them too.
I'm not saying your soldering skills are bad, I believe you're using the wrong set of tools, maybe a too hot soldering iron.

Anyway, good luck!

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

Kane, I believe this is an original 3DS (not a XL) and I have not played with its motherboard yet, but my wild guess would be that you could try to find other points, using a multimeter, from the opposite side of the board. You get it?

Cheers

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Kane, I believe this is an original 3DS (not a XL) and I have not played with its motherboard yet, but my wild guess would be that you could try to find other points, using a multimeter, from the opposite side of the board. You get it?

Cheers

The 3DS requires removal of the metal cap. The 3DS XL has the pins exposed next to the NAND.

---

You can use a q-tip and isopropal alcohol to clean the area. If you can't solder anything to the contact points, you will likely need to clean the area and use flux.

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kane, I'm afraid there are no alternate points discovered so far, but if you still could find some contact in the pads you burned, you could try to find continuity in other points (with the help of a multimeter).
If you allow me to give you my advise, please, don't get it wrong, but even if you find other pads that could help you extract your NAND, the changes are that you burn them too.
I'm not saying your soldering skills are bad, I believe you're using the wrong set of tools, maybe a too hot soldering iron.

Anyway, good luck!

Haha no worries, my soldering skills are indeed bad and i messed up :)

The 3DS requires removal of the metal cap. The 3DS XL has the pins exposed next to the NAND.
You can use a q-tip and isopropal alcohol to clean the area. If you can't solder anything to the contact points, you will likely need to clean the area and use flux.

Thanks i will try :) !

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Isn't it possible to connect the wires to the 3ds own power connector? i don't own a 3ds yet but doesn't it use a kind of usb like connector? that way it would be a completly invisible mod, maybe even using a magnetic switch to keep the circuit open while not in use...

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Isn't it possible to connect the wires to the 3ds own power connector? i don't own a 3ds yet but doesn't it use a kind of usb like connector? that way it would be a completly invisible mod, maybe even using a magnetic switch to keep the circuit open while not in use...

It would short the 3DS!

netbeard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a USB connector it just looks like one, and it only has 2 pins, power and ground.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
oh ok, i din check before, with only 2 pins no way lol and no way to add them there i guess, anyway, i'm sure that that power jack can be substituted by one that pretty much looks the same but with more pins no? Then just change the head of the charger and it would be a 2 function jack ^^

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys i have question. My new 3ds xl with 4.5 fw is arriving at my home in these days.
I have intenction of dumping my nand and switch with 4.5 and 6.3 firmwares, and make a miniusb port on the 3ds to speedup the things.
I understood that when you plug the 3ds to the pc it turns in blue screen, but when i unplug the usb cable from my 3ds mini usb port the 3ds will work? or have i to unsolder all?
Thanks.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Guys i have question. My new 3ds xl with 4.5 fw is arriving at my home in these days.
I have intenction of dumping my nand and switch with 4.5 and 6.3 firmwares, and make a miniusb port on the 3ds to speedup the things.
I understood that when you plug the 3ds to the pc it turns in blue screen, but when i unplug the usb cable from my 3ds mini usb port the 3ds will work? or have i to unsolder all?
Thanks.

It should work once you unplugged it.

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's ok. My idea was in fact to make an usb female port to let me connect the 3ds to the pc easily. Thanks, i'll see when will arrive ! :P

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
That's ok. My idea was in fact to make an usb female port to let me connect the 3ds to the pc easily. Thanks, i'll see when will arrive ! :P

Double post but several hours apart? :blink:
Anyway you can do that and many have done it before.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have an original 3DS (launch day) and would like to make a nand dump, but I'm afraid of messing things up. The tiny point on the front/back of the mother board, and reading that the original 3DS could be bricked (page7 and 14 of this thread, or maybe a faulty mod? and here) after a dump/restore process makes me hesitant.

Did some people soldered everything on the same mother board face? I guess it's better to solder on the other side instead of removing the card reader's shield. Opening the console doesn't put dust on the screen? (my last mod was on GBA, and opening it put dusts particles on the screen).

shinonome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Cyan, on the same face you have to unsolder cart shield, it may be dangerous for bottom screen (overheat, etc). Taking out motherboard is not so difficult, make some tea, relax and do it:lol: no dust at all. Imho most difficult part is putting back analog stick

Gildoniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello everyone!

I've been following this thread for quite some time now (also found gbatemp through google searching for 3DS related information).
First of all: Thanks!!! For your great work and all the info you provided here.

Yesterday I got my first 3DS (first Nintendo colsole for me) and I modded it following the guides / infos of Gonzo and n1ghty - THANKS you two!

The soldering of the SD Adapter was a bit tricky, because I was confused about the pins and soldered GND to CLK in my first attempt, which caused

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

and

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00000000

errors and the card was not detected. I even resoldered my pinouts on the 3DS *g* - but it looks even nicer now, so it's okay.

After fixing this I have now:

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000002 00000000

and

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000003 00000000

which works perfectly for me.

Checking the connectors with a multimeter (the SD adapter one) made me realize my mistake and then the whole thing worked perfectly.

-> Dumped 4.2.0 several times, flashed it back
-> Upgraded to 6.3.13 and dumped that 2 times and flashed 4.2.0 back

Today I bought some very fine 0,05 qmm copper wire isolated with "finish"/"paint" -> no idea what this is really called in English.
I plan to solder that to female micro USB type B sockets and fit that into one of the "holes" on the left and right front side of the 3DS.

I plan to provide pictures and some notes of what I did in case this works out as I plan it to.

Reactions: octopus and pelago

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz: the video title is "We Now Have A Touch Screen And OLED Modded Game Boy Color"