N64 Games on 3DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by digidude13, Jun 26, 2011.

Jun 26, 2011

N64 Games on 3DS? by digidude13 at 8:51 PM (1,204 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. digidude13
    OP

Newcomer digidude13 Newbie

United States
    I've seen some questions asked about N64 games being played on a DS and I've seen the askers get dominated with a bunch of NO!'s becuase of the ram on the DS, but do you think the 3DS would be able to handle N64 games? They are remaking quite a few of them and in 3D too so I just assume it is somehow possible, correct me if I'm wrong though.

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It's probably possible.

But not atm.

3. Ultralex

Member Ultralex GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    The N64 Games you see on the 3DS right now are ports,they aren't emulated,they are just like Super Mario 64 DS.
    I think it would be pretty much possible,because the PSP does it too and the 3DS is more powerful(?)

4. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I could see the 3DS being able to handle an N64 emulator. It has plenty of fast memory and a solid GPU that can render tons of polygons. The CPU is still rather unknown besides being ARM11-based, the clock speed and number of cores is unknown (some sources were claiming it was a dual core ARM11 clocked at around 266mhz). I'd hazard a guess that at least a few N64 game could be gotten to work with the system (if not the more powerful games). I could easily see N64 games working better than the PSP emulator can do, seeing as the 3DS is a lot more powerful.

Of course, this all assuming the system EVER gets hacked for the general public and homebrew developer manage to make games for it.

Remaking or porting N64 games is not the same as emulation. You could easily remake an N64 game and make it look miles better than the original, but if you emulated them they'd look no different and wouldn't play nearly as well as they would if you specifically coded the game for the system.

5. solofrags

Banned solofrags Banned

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    you ask really stupid questions. Who knows if a hacker will want to create a 64 emulator? anyone! Moreover, the hack of the console is not going to be, the DSi has not skipped the 3ds will not be either lol despite the success of the dump three games.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Now you have absolutely no proof that the system won't be hacked. It technically already has been, with Legacy (the dumper of those games) claiming that they managed to run said dumps on their 3DS. They just aren't releasing their tools and methods. It can be hacked, it just isn't released to the general public how to do so. It's not a matter of whether it can be hacked, but rather when or if these tools will ever make it into the hands of people who would spread the information around.

This topic is not asking whether one will be made. It is asking whether the 3DS has hardware capable of running N64 emulation if there were such a project. The answer is yes, there's no reason why it couldn't. I'd imagine that if given the tools and opportunity, some hackers would definitely want to create such an emulator. They have already on PSP, and there are numerous N64 emulators for many systems. It would be a popular undertaking for homebrewers.

7. linuxGuru

Member linuxGuru GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just because you might not enjoy classic games does not mean other people don't. If/when the system gets hacked I am very sure someone will want to make an emulator.