N64 for iPhone3GS

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Jakob95, Jan 5, 2010.

Jan 5, 2010

N64 for iPhone3GS by Jakob95 at 4:24 AM (1,113 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
  2. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    :/ Dayummm.
    I still prefer playing N64 with console controls though. Touch Screen controls are too fiddly. :[

3. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I will try this! [​IMG]

4. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    I hope he isn't charging anything for that app. Nintendo will be after him quickly, but if he is charging for it then there are huge legal problems heading his way.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    People have charged for emulators for ages with no consequence. I mean heck, look at no$gba, which was widely regarded as the best GBA/DS debugger money could buy. Regardless, yes he's charging $2.50 for the app, though he also offers an ad-supported free version. Not sure why he's cashing in on the program since he didn't make it himself (he ported it from an N64 emulator for the upcoming Pandora handheld), but he's done that with most of his ports so it's not really anything out of the ordinary.

EDIT: regarding controls, hooking it up to a Wiimote helps greatly with most games. Speed still isn't quite at a fully playable level yet, though I'm hoping advances on the Pandora version will ultimately show up in the port.

6. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    seeing as the processors in the iphones are just getting faster and faster, this particular phone being underclocked(presumably to save battery life), runs at 600MHZ but is capable of a whopping 833MHZ(Overclocked). Though until we see speeds increase even further I don't think we'll see any n64 games running at full speed with sound and without glitches.

7. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Did you test it out? If you did do you know if this emulator runs better than the PSP one?

Sigh I wish I had a iTouch 3g.

8. DanTheManMS

United States
    I've never run the PSP one, so I can't really compare, but yes I have run n64iphone on my 3GS. I've been planning on making a video demo for it for a while now. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these nights. In the meantime, I'm sure there are plenty of videos already on Youtube you can look into.

9. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    Will this run on an iPod touch with the new processor?
    nvm didn't read the whole thing [​IMG]

10. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    An emulator the runs at " almost playable speed " and you pay for it.....?
    I have problems when my GBA emulator occasionally looses a few FPS on my quad core PC, and I generally prefer to play the real thing, but the N64 already has problems with choppy framerate on the original cartridges, I can't imaging nor accept to play it on an iphone.
    Not to mention that the controls must be awful ......I dislike any controller that is not an original Nintendo made N64 controller to play N64 games.
    The GC was a good alternative but not quite as good as yhe original button layouts.
    I have an excellent PC emulator which I donated for ( Pj64 ) and also this adapter to plug in a real N64 controller via USB, the standard dual shock wouldn't do it for me............
    [​IMG]

SO How can you do that
    [​IMG]

on this :
    [​IMG]
    I now I'll stay away from this.

11. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    The N64 controller is a bit of an oddity though. It's so oddly shaped that nothing other than the original hardware can give the same experience, the controller's always looked awkward and unwieldy to me.

12. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    And that's why most games have a unique control scheme that is just too difficult to replicate on any other controller.
    Some games ( like Zelda, Banjo Kazoie and DK ) map important actions on the C-buttons, most controllers included the excellent GC controller use the right analog stick to simulate that, which is hard to press at the same time with A and B ( some games require that ) and it's placed underneath them not on the side plus the buttons are always more responsive.
    But like a said , some games really took advantage of the controller and quite simple there isn't a valid alternative to the original.
    I even tried an Xbox360 controller but still games like DK that require buttons combination to perform some actions are almost unplayable without the original controller.
    Which brings me back to the topic in question, a N64 emulator for an iphone is merely a tech demo and an example of programming but really, even if one day it would be full speed, I'll never be able to enjoy the games as I do on the real hardware.

13. DanTheManMS

United States
    Nobody's forcing you to buy it, or to play it, or to give it a passing glance.