Edwii

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've asked in the passed if any of our flash carts could handle 3ds roms when we get to that point of hacking, the general feeling was non of them had enough hardware power to do it. So now I am wondering if by combing the power of the 3ds and our current flash carts, is it possible we could make and run a n64 emulator? Or is it when we boot a flash cart on the 3ds it only accuses limited level of hardware?

just intersted in some speculative thoughts/theorys.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
When you boot a flash cart as we have them now, it boots in DS mode, or DSi Mode if you have the iEvo and the correct bootloader. To access the extra hardware and power presented by the 3DS, the cart would have to be booted in 3DS mode, which as you stated is likely to not be possible with flash carts we have at this point in time.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I doubt a combination of the 3DS and flashcards (like the DSTWO) working together as one would be able to handle something like N64 emulation because the connection at the card port is just not fast enough. The 3DS is probably capable of emulating the N64 all by itself, but we won't see the progress of that until the 3DS has been hacked.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not many of them can even run GBA emu's off them so N64 im guessing would be a long ways away. Im still waiting for the 3DS to be hacked for 3D mode and to see what crazy homebrew comes out of it (wonder if people know how to do 3D homebrew?)

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well first of all we would atleast need 3DS Mode, Second of all we would need a flashcart like the dstwo in order for us to even hope of getting n64 emulation... And thats if we're lucky...

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
omegasoul6 said:
Well first of all we would atleast need 3DS Mode, Second of all we would need a flashcart like the dstwo in order for us to even hope of getting n64 emulation... And thats if we're lucky...

I don't think that. The Wii does a great job at emulating the 64 and the 3DS being similair suggests to me that it can be possible to create without the use of additional CPU's found on flashcarts. Though, this all remains to be seen untill it gets hacked.

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait you guys make it sound like the 3ds processor and the flashcart processor could work together is this true? and i doubt the 3ds will be able to emulate an n64 unless a really good group of programmers made the emulator

Dingoo-fan 32

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
N64 emulation is slow even on openpandora that is much,much powerfull than 3ds
wink2.gif

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dsisbetterthanxbox said:
N64 emulation is slow even on openpandora that is much,much powerfull than 3ds
wink2.gif
From what i've seen Pandora does it pretty well on certain games w/out sound atleast.
Speed wise perfect for some games

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OpenPandora isn't exactly a popular platform... As such it doesn't have the best coders available. I've seen the PSP n64 emu running better than it, and OP is much more powerful than the PSP
wink.gif

The 3DS should be more than powerful enough for emulating the N64 on SOME level... What level would be up for debate since we don't know much about the 3ds... We only know that it uses a custom dual core ARM processor with an integrated PICA200 graphics chip running at who knows what speed. We don't even know what speed the processor runs at and won't have any idea what-so-ever till the system is truly hacked OR if some verifiable internal nintendo documents get released.

The latency may be too high from the slot-1 carts to the 3DS to be able to play all the games outright, the majority of N64 games should be able to be loaded into memory so that wouldn't be an issue, and the latency from the SD slot SHOULD be fast enough to handle the larger games... That said, if we have a native 3DS slot 1 card, that may have plenty of bandwidth too... They are supposed to have better latency/bandwidth than regular DS/i... but that's another big question mark.

tommzy2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
3ds sucks, its shit, its too weak in processing power to do anything, waste of nintendo's time and money, also wii u is even gayer

alexbulluk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
As soon as 3DS mode is available to flash carts to use, then we'll start seeing progress on emulators for GBA and N64, but until then it's just not going to happen. Nowhere near enough power when running in DS mode.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
OpenPandora isn't exactly a popular platform... As such it doesn't have the best coders available. I've seen the PSP n64 emu running better than it, and OP is much more powerful than the PSP
wink.gif

The 3DS should be more than powerful enough for emulating the N64 on SOME level... What level would be up for debate since we don't know much about the 3ds... We only know that it uses a custom dual core ARM processor with an integrated PICA200 graphics chip running at who knows what speed. We don't even know what speed the processor runs at and won't have any idea what-so-ever till the system is truly hacked OR if some verifiable internal nintendo documents get released.

The latency may be too high from the slot-1 carts to the 3DS to be able to play all the games outright, the majority of N64 games should be able to be loaded into memory so that wouldn't be an issue, and the latency from the SD slot SHOULD be fast enough to handle the larger games... That said, if we have a native 3DS slot 1 card, that may have plenty of bandwidth too... They are supposed to have better latency/bandwidth than regular DS/i... but that's another big question mark.

i cant believe nobody even knows what the 3ds uses for hardware or the specs for it, i mean wouldnt it be possible for someone, maybe like a flashcart manuracturer to decap the ic chips ,like the cpu and the gpu and have them sent out someplace to be scanned with an electron microscope ,or maybe a regular microscope ,and see the internal architecture and be able to determine the speed and specs ,or couldnt someone probe the board to find out the speed of the bus, or the cpu or gpu?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: