OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Anyone knows how to fix this?

I have a N3DSXL from a friend and the system thinks the right shoulder button is always pressed
- The button isn't stuck
- When pressing, you can hear the click
- When disconnected from the motherboard, the system still thinks it's pressed

So is it a faulty sysnand? (the ony thing i can think it is)

Should i hardmod the system and put a sysnand back he has from 2016 (The only sysnand he has,)

In the meanwhile he told me:
- He made an emunand backup a week ago with latest godmode9
- He then flashed the emunand to sysnand with godmode9
- The system would not boot up (black screen) but power led stayed nice blue (Did not boot into luma or godmode9)

I managed to boot the system, updated it and everything looks normal except for the right shoulder button
I can boot into luma and godmode9 and browse around, but as soon i need to use a button combo it does nothing, in rosalina i can't even move the arrow

Last edited by DjoeN,

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the suggestions

- Replacing button/blowing/replacing flexcable all are not the solution
- The problem stays, when the flexcable is disconnected

When booting up the New 3DS XL without the back cover (no shoulder buttons attached to the motherboard) the system still shows the R being pressed down (easy to see when you go to the camera app, the R is black (pressed in) and should be white
When connecting the flexcables, everywhere i press the L button, the camera app starts (normally you need to press L+R)

Reactions: Alexander1970
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DjoeN, see if the (R)-shoulder button is also stuck in these scenarios:
  • DS(i) firmware mode - Play an NDS cart game, DS flashcart, or DSiWare. Can't think of an example game.
  • GBA firmware mode - GBA VC injection. Ex: F-Zero: Max Velocity, right trigger causes car to yaw right.
  • GodMode9 - If (R)-shoulder is stuck, pressing only the (B) button should mount and unmount the SD card.
This will determine for sure your friend's n3DSXL R-trigger is really a hardware issue.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
@DjoeN, see if the (R)-shoulder button is also stuck in these scenarios:
  • DS(i) firmware mode - Play an NDS cart game, DS flashcart, or DSiWare. Can't think of an example game.
  • GBA firmware mode - GBA VC injection. Ex: F-Zero: Max Velocity, right trigger causes car to yaw right.
  • GodMode9 - If (R)-shoulder is stuck, pressing only the (B) button should mount and unmount the SD card.
This will determine for sure your friend's n3DSXL R-trigger is really a hardware issue.

Tested this already (in a way as good as possible)
- Godmode9 -> pressing start shutsdown (keycombo is start+r)
- 3DS Fire Emblem Awakening -> Hurry in and out zooming map
- NDS did't tested that, so i tested DK Jungle Climber (it uses only L and R button, well as expected it autoplays, can't even use my L button

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested this already (in a way as good as possible)
- Godmode9 -> pressing start shutsdown (keycombo is start+r)
- 3DS Fire Emblem Awakening -> Hurry in and out zooming map
- NDS did't tested that, so i tested DK Jungle Climber (it uses only L and R button, well as expected it autoplays, can't even use my L button
:(

Remove the battery, disassemble the n3DSXL, and disconnect the R-shoulder flex cable. Take a clean toothbrush dipped in 70-91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and lightly brush clean the port connector from both motherboard and flex cable sides. Do not use water, hydrogen proxide, everclear/grain alcohol/vodka/ethanol/drinking alcohol, acetone, or any other cleaning solution. Blow dry with hairdryer using low fan + low heat setting (side-to-side sweeping motions, no staying upclose at same spot too long).

You might not be able to publicly obtain isopropyl alcohol due shortages from CV. If you're left with no other choice, you can use distilled water but must clean and dry quickly.

If the above cleaning fails, looks like we're dealing with burnt SMD/SMT that's directly relates to R-shoulder. I don't know of a previous case where someone fixed this.

Edit- Hey wait a minute... The (R)-shoulder connects to the ABXY buttons powerboard?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Ah well it's not the button or flexcable that's the problem, as told, when the back is removed and the L + R flex cables are disconnected from the motherboard, connecting a battery (with tape) to the motherboard and powering it on, boots into the 3ds menu and shows at the top screen the message for L+R to start camera app and the R is greyed while it should be white as the L (will post a picture when i can.)

It's clearly a hardware failure :/ the only thing i can still try, to see if it's software related is hardmod the system and flash his clean sysnand backup from 2016 to it, if it then still is there, we know then it's a hardware fault and the system is good for spare parts are whatever he want to do with it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
IMG-20200527-230500952-MP.jpg

@DjoeN, late edit in my last reply. I think the failure is from the ABXY buttons/powerboard. I don't recommend this unless you're really comfortable and know what you're doing, but if you have another fully working n3DSXL, swap their daughter boards to see if it's that.
Will test this tomorrow, to late now (23:08)

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Anyway, ended with swapping the button board from my n3dsxl and it works, so seems it's related to the hardware circuitboard from the buttons, So i ordered one from alixpress.

And so the wait begings (3/4 weeks delivery time) :/

Thx for all the help @TurdPooCharger

s0macruz

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey @DjoeN I know this post was a while ago, but i was wondering if you were able to resolve the problem for good, I am having the exact same problem you are

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey @DjoeN I know this post was a while ago, but i was wondering if you were able to resolve the problem for good, I am having the exact same problem you are
Nov 20th, 2020.... Was the last time that user was seen. I dont think your going to get a answer from them. they claim it was hardware issue. but thats about all your going to get from the posts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-