Hardware N3DSXL date and time keeps resetting.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried fixing it about 6 times now, but when it resets, it changes the date to January , 2011 which messes with some of my games. are any of you experiencing this?

Steph72

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
the battery of 3ds might have some problem, the time on 3ds can be only saved with the help of this battery 9like on your wrist watch)

have it change or check with your warranty.. its a lithium battery..

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the battery of 3ds might have some problem, the time on 3ds can be only saved with the help of this battery 9like on your wrist watch)

have it change or check with your warranty.. its a lithium battery..
I guess that makes sense. although i don't see why they didn't use a small internal battery like on a computer's motherboard.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess that makes sense. although i don't see why they didn't use a small internal battery like on a computer's motherboard.
Because it's unnecessary cost and point of failure for a device where (unlike the classic PSPs or some removable-battery-without-screwdriver phones) the user is NOT intended to own and swap between multiple batteries - in fact the manual explicitly says something like "do not remove the battery except for its replacement"!

Never underestimate the willingness of a for-profit entity to save on fraction-of-a-cent components... and a rechargeable clock battery would actually be more than 10 cents! https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/3v-rechargeable-battery-ml1220.html

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's unnecessary cost and point of failure for a device where (unlike the classic PSPs or some removable-battery-without-screwdriver phones) the user is NOT intended to own and swap between multiple batteries - in fact the manual explicitly says something like "do not remove the battery except for its replacement"!

Never underestimate the willingness of a for-profit entity to save on fraction-of-a-cent components... and a rechargeable clock battery would actually be more than 10 cents! https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/3v-rechargeable-battery-ml1220.html
yea, I guess you got a point... I wonder how hard it would be to hard-mod it in. :P

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yea, I guess you got a point... I wonder how hard it would be to hard-mod it in. :P
If the MCU (haven't looked at 3DS specs, or frankly 3DS at all for almost a year - whatever chip is responsible for the clock) has a separate input pin for RTC power, then it's relatively easy! (= considerably harder than the typical nand backup hardmod, but that's because that one is easier on 3DS-except-the-first than average electronic products without testpoints)

You would have to find the trace for that pin (hopefully it's on the outer layers of the board - else this will be the way ;) )
Then, you would need to disconnect it to the board and connect it to your clock battery (through any added electronics, if needed, to provide the right voltage) - fancier variants would use a rechargeable battery and appropriate charger electronics, or keeping the use of the main battery for the clock when available (options range from a diode, as seen on the NES, to a power switching chip as seen on GB/C)

The hardest challenge will probably be space inside the console; of course if someone were THIS dedicated, they could take advantage of this opportunity and make a bottom case replacement with a more confortable shape and all the space for this trick, 18650 battery holder and balancing chip to add a high quality extended battery quality spares for which could be found 30 years down the line, that bluetooth audio transmitter, turbo buttons, full size SD slot(s), capture card.... :)

http://users.libero.it/efa/clock8700.html - This page is not very representative of this hypothetical 3DS hardware upgrade, but shows a semiprofessional approach to the "clock battery only" approach on my family's first cell phone of all things!

Reactions: HamBone41801

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0