Hacking N3DS XL won't boot after update

TheKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello all,

I updated my N3DS XL yesterday from version 11.3.0.36-E to the latest 11.8.0.41-E to be able to access the eShop to download some software.
I followed the instructions from 3ds.guide in the past to flash my N3DS XL with a R4iSDHC GOLD Pro 2017 flashcard and everything was working fine so far.

I could use the 3DS fine after the update to 11.8 was installed, however NTR wasn't working anymore.
I tried to update it as well as Luma3DS, but the console won't turn on anymore.

The console starts for a few seconds and it then shuts off again. The displays remain black and unpowered, only the blue LED turns on and off again after a few moments.
I tried to use another MicroSD cards (one 4GB SanDisk and a 64GB San Disk), I reformatted the new ones multiple times to FAT32 and 32KB cluster size.

I also tried the CFW Starter kit from the user TurdPooCharger, but no luck. Sadly I can't find the backups I've created when flashing my console back then.

What can I do or try to get my 3DS back working? From what I understood so far is, that the 3DS can't find Luma3DS and that's why it shuts off after a few seconds?

Nintendo 3DS XL Metallic Black
MicroSD:
- 64GB SanDisk (original one)
- 64GB SanDisk (another one)
- 4GB SanDisk

Thanks a lot in advance!

Greetings from germany,
Kenny

TL;DR:
Updated N3DS XL from 11.3 to 11.8 and tried to update NTR. Now it won't boot properly.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Remove the 3DS battery to reset RAM memory. Hold the (Power) button for 30 seconds. Press it a few more times for good measures. Reinsert battery.

2. Take the 4 GB micro SD card, copy everything off it, and reformat it with these exact settings with MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition).
  • Format: FAT32
  • Cluster Size: 32 KB
  • Partition: Primary
  • Disk: MBR
MiniTool Partition Wizard Software Tutorial Guide
  1. Delete Partition
  2. Initialize to MBR Disk -or- Convert GPT to MBR Disk (if it's in GPT Disk)
  3. Rebuild MBR
  4. Create a New Partition [ Create as: Primary | File System: FAT32 | Cluster Size: 32 KB ]

3. Full Write and Verify this card with H2testw. Do not skip this step unless you already checked the card with this program.

4. Delete the *.h2w test files if results come back clean. If an error was reported, replace the hardware failed card.
  • Discrete point error(s): Dead NAND cell(s).
  • Continuous streaming error: False capacity or fake SD card.
  • Instantaneous test passing: Card has died and entered Read-Only mode for data protection.
5. Do not use the CFW starter kit and do not use the files from your main setup. Add both Luma3DS v9.1 and Luma3DS v7.0.5 files.

On the root of the SD card:
  • boot.firm , Luma3DS v9.1 - download here.
  • arm9loaderhax.bin , Luma3DS v7.0.5 - download here.
6. Insert the micro SD card into 3DS. Turn on 3DS and hold (Select) to access Luma3DS configuration.
  • If the SD card reader is going bad, you will need to try reinserting the card several times.
  • If the 3DS does boot, state which version of Luma3DS appears:
    • This is to verify whether the 3DS has boot9strap (B9S) or arm9loaderhax (A9LH).
Luma3-DS-version.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

TheKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.

I took out the battery and discharged the console like you've wrote. I reformatted (with MiniTool Partition Wizard) and then tested both MicroSD cards, the 4GB and the 64GB one. Both went through without any errors. I downloaded the needed files from Luma3DS v7.0.5 and v9.1 and put them on the root of the MicroSD cards.

When pressing select with the MicroSD card inserted, the 3DS just does the very same thing. It seems to turn on, the displays remain black and unlit and the blue power LED fades away after 1-2 seconds. I also tried to remove and insert the MicroSD cards a few times, sadly without any change.

I'm pretty sure that I installed A9LH at first and later then switched/updated to B9S if that helps.

Again, thanks a lot for your help!
Greetings,
Kenny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:(

7. Remove any 3(DS) game cart or flashcart as this can interfere with booting the 3DS.

8. Try sweeping the YXBA area with a strong magnet.
If the 3DS still does not function, the n3dSXL SD card reader may have broke and needs to be replaced:

You have another 3DS or DSi system and have a compatible DS flashcart, flash it with NTRboot. Try repairing the n3DSXL with CTRTransfer using GodMode9 and/or Decrypt9WIP.

Reactions: TheKenny

TheKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really appreciate your answers! There was no flashcard or game installed at the moment when trying all these steps.

Regarding point 8, when am I supposed to sweep the YXBA button area? While the console is turned off or before I'm going to turn on the console?

I don't think it's the card reading unit within the console itself, since I only used it at home and it was working fine before I messed it up.

Since I have a flashcard, I'm going to try the CTRTransfer method. I also do have a second New 3DS (the small one), but I can't get the magnet thing working. I tried it countless times but got it working on different consoles before with the same exact flashcard and MicroSD card(s).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding point 8, when am I supposed to sweep the YXBA button area? While the console is turned off or before I'm going to turn on the console?
Before it's turned on or after. Either is fine. Magnet sweep is to try to get the sleep switch unstuck. Make sure you don't bring the magnet anywhere close to the screens' glass panels as it can smash into and scratch their surfaces (or tape them covered with paper napkin). It's probably not the sleep switch, but worth trying anyway.

I don't think it's the card reading unit within the console itself, since I only used it at home and it was working fine before I messed it up.
It's hard to say for sure because if any one component of the n3DSXL is disconnected* or not working properly, the system will refuse to boot or will boot incorrectly.

* At least for the n3DSXL, the camera module is the exception where it can be disconnected. A connected, faulty n3DSXL camera can cause Black Screens of Death as seen here.

If only you had another n3DSXL to swap motherboards for A/B parts testing... :/

Since I have a flashcard, I'm going to try the CTRTransfer method. I also do have a second New 3DS (the small one), but I can't get the magnet thing working. I tried it countless times but got it working on different consoles before with the same exact flashcard and MicroSD card(s).
For your R4iSDHC Gold Pro 2017, you'll have to reflash its firmware with ntrboot flasher.

Which way you reflash it depends if your second n3DS system is already hacked or not, or if you have Nintendo DS.
There's a part where you put SafeB9SInstaller named as boot.firm on the 3DS SD card. You can substitute this with GodMode9.firm renamed as boot.firm, which then should allow you to perform CTRTransfer (you'll need to download CTRTransfer image). The same can be done with Decrypt9WIP.firm if CTRTransfer with GodMode9 doesn't work.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheKenny,

try replacing boot.firm with Luma3DS v7.1, the first release that coincided with boot9strap v1.0.

If you used ntrboothax a while ago, your version of boot9stap is most likely too old to boot Luma v9.1. Download Luma v7.1 and place the boot.firm file from Luma v7.1 onto the root of your SD card. Please report back with your results.

Edit:
Also try Luma3DS v8.0 to test for boot9strap v1.2.

Reactions: TheKenny

TheKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks a lot, I'm going to try that!

Edit: WOW! You're really a genius! The console is booting now with the Luma3DS 7.1 boot.firm. What now to fix it? Or is this enough?

Edit 2: The 3DS is now booting with the 4GB temporary MicroSD card as well as with the 64GB original card I've used all the time.

Edit 3: I'll try that tomorrow, since I have to go to bed now. If it's not working, I'm going to update boot9strap v1.2. Thanks again so far!

Last edited by TheKenny,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, in and out with fixing my car and avoiding my HoA giving me a hard time for it. :|

I am not a genius. I just borrowed @sansnumen's approach, having forgotten there are incompatibilities between different versions of Luma3DS and boot9strap. I didn't know if it would work for you as this was basically a crap shot. Thank him.

Okay, so you'll need to put SafeB9SInstaller.firm v0.0.7 in sdmc:/luma/payloads folder and have sdmc:/boot9strap folder with boot9strap.firm and boot9strap.firm.sha (the latest version 1.3).

Actually, if you still have the CFW starter kit, rename Luma3DS v9.1 boot.firmboot_v9.1.firm. Put in Luma3DS v7.1 boot.firm. Turn on n3DSXL and hold (Start) to access Luma3DS chainloader → SafeB9SInstaller → etc. (to update B9S).

Delete v7.1 boot.firm.
Rename boot_v9.1.firm back to boot.firm.

Follow the Finalizing Setup or follow this post starting from step 9.
The CTRNAND setup is so you can boot the n3DSXL without an SD card.
The backing up the saves & extdata is for your protection in not losing game progress.
The SysNAND backup is in case you ever run into an unexpected softbrick and need to get the 3DS running again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo