Hardware N3DS XL data recovery

RubyOtaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot_20210610-210343_One UI Home.jpg

So my friend tried to repair my n3dsxl capture card and ended up breaking the system entirely. My data is on there and I am desperate to get it back. One big thing was the clasp on the ribbon for the battery connector was missing when I got it back and it doesn't turn on at all. Any advice?

I cant lose all my games, all my streetpass data and the memories I've made the past 10 years like that.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it still a blue light for a few seconds? If it is. it sounds like a missing boot.firm on the sd card. or perhaps the sd card reader may need to be rechecked.

RubyOtaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it still a blue light for a few seconds? If it is. it sounds like a missing boot.firm on the sd card. or perhaps the sd card reader may need to be rechecked.
I'll forward this, thanks.

The system doesn't have CFW if that makes any difference

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll forward this, thanks.

It makes a huge difference. Without CFW the "not turning on" is hardware related and boot.firm will do nothing.

With CFW data recovery could be possible -- to be more precise having started GodMode9 at least once and having answered the question about the embedded essentials backup with "Yes". If the embedded backup exists on NAND, reading out the chip with hardmod and decrypting with Ninfs is possible.

Accessing the (save) data on the corresponding SD boils down to having KeyY (this in the movable.sed file). You might be able to retrieve that key with the bruteforce service if this console's friend code is stored in another one (listed as a friend) -- I would have to search the details.
===============

The last thing I can think of is extremely risky and requires exceptional skills, experience and expensive rework hardware: Desoldering CPU and NAND, reballing and inserting them into a working donor board. If done correctly this should bring everything back to working state (given that the chips aren't damaged yet) -- enough for starting GodMode9 with ntrboot.
This method is the very last thing to try. Honestly data inside a gaming console wouldn't be valuable enough for me to even think about asking a soldering professional for such special efforts.

In any case:

Good luck!

jameyfalcione

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe he could have permanently broken the system. Most likely, your friend accidentally erased the files necessary for the functioning of the device. Due to the deletion of important files, computers and phones may lose their appearance, as well as begin to behave extremely strangely. When I, like your friend, was trying to fix my 3dsxl, I saw a blue screen with yellow letters on it. It's likely that your 3dsxl can be restored. I advise you to contact the company salvagedata.com, which is engaged in data recovery on different types of media. They'll definitely restore the proper condition of your 3dsxl.

Last edited by jameyfalcione,

pistonfish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Most likely, your friend accidentally erased the files necessary for the functioning of the device
How should anyone accidentally delete any system files without CFW?

The thread has been inactive for almost a year. I don't think there is anything to add here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl +1