N3DS battery cover screws

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by drfsupercenter, Apr 6, 2016.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    This seems like a stupid question, but due to taking the SD out a lot and having to keep unscrewing/screwing those tiny screws, I've basically stripped the poor little screws on my N3DS XL.

I could buy a replacement battery cover, but those are a bit expensive and I'd just have the same problem again.

Does anyone know where to get the same type of tiny screw in bulk so I can just buy a bag of them? They're too small for the local hardware store to have any. But I know sometimes people on eBay have them - I've found the proprietary tiny screws for laptops and such, does anyone know what this size screw is called?

Raylight likes this.
  2. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    Thats what MSDM is for lol. ive almost striped mine aswell so knowing how to get replacement would be helpful.

3. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    I had a problem, not with stripped screws, but the part around the screws breaking off. Also, I'm pretty sure the screws are placed inside the battery cover and can't be removed because there's plastic around them. If it's not clear, you can't remove the screws from the case because they're built in. I cut the back of my case to expose the micro sd card.

4. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    They're just washers on the other end of the screw. You can take them off.

What's MSDM?

Edit: Oh, MicroSD Management? That's not as useful, since copying files over the network is sloooooooooooow. Especially when you're talking 1.8GB NAND backups.

Last edited by drfsupercenter, Apr 6, 2016
  5. Boogieboo6

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    Micro SD Management

6. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    That's a lie.

7. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Ninja'd

And yeah, I'm almost 100% certain those washers can be removed. You just use the screw's threads to help you :P

8. Boogieboo6

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    You don't know what a lie is then. I obviously said I didn't fully understand when saying "I'm pretty sure". I don't want to sound like a dick, but I don't want to be labeled as a liar either.

9. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Alright, enough arguing.

I just want to know if anyone's seen the same size screws in bulk anywhere.

10. Ace001

Ace001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2013
    United States
    No.

11. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
  12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm not sure about buying the screws separately, but you can buy replacement back covers from Nintendo's online store, and I'm pretty sure screws are included. Just realized you already said this.
    You don't really need the screws, the back cover stays in just fine without them.

13. Dennis G

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    what i did is, i removed the screw's and put some 3mm double sided tape left and right and closing it will stick and you can open and close it easy, i did this 3 months ago and the 3mm tape still sticks and it works perfect and i take my sd out ALOT

14. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    Honestly when I had to keep taking the microsd card out I finally just permanently removed the screws. There is enough resistance from the clips that you don't need it screwed on as well. Though I imagine if you drop it like that your battery might pop out.

15. Dennis G

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    it worked fine without the 3mm tape for me but just as a precaution i put it ther, i don't regret anything :D