Hardware My Xbox red ringed (E 74) and won’t even turn on since this morning

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"penny hack" isn't a hack, it's simply kludging together a heatsink.

Heat is what caused the error, the solderballs underneath the chip are fractured due to heat stress.
Only way to mend that is to reflow or reball.

TomodachiDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
3DS fc: 5258-4926-3350 pls PM me to add you back
XP
Country
Antarctica
"penny hack" isn't a hack, it's simply kludging together a heatsink.

Heat is what caused the error, the solderballs underneath the chip are fractured due to heat stress.
Only way to mend that is to reflow or reball.
Yeah, I think it’s because Microsoft used the wrong type of lead-free solder or something. I’ll probably open it up again this afternoon and hope the only problem is the HANA chip. Maybe buy another power supply since my console doesn’t even turn on...

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not just MS, it's every manufacturer.
I think it's the fault of the EU for banning leaded solder.
Could be the EU, could also be something else.

Bottom line is, leaded solder has been banned from electronic devices.
Hence them dying quicker.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know nearly as much about the 360 as I do the ps3, but the hardware issues are why I don't game on it. I have 2 falcons and 1 jasper, and I don''t game on any of them.

for a proper reflow/reball, outside of a heatgun, you need a machine. that machine costs hundreds of dollars, so you'd have to send the system to someone who operates a business for this sort of thing. that's the only person who'd have such a machine. a reball is more permanent, but it requires some manual labor which means more expensive. 360s are so cheap now though that you might as well buy another, if you don't want a switch right away. it would be cheaper than fixing the broken console.

TomodachiDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not just MS, it's every manufacturer.
I think it's the fault of the EU for banning leaded solder.
Could be the EU, could also be something else.

Bottom line is, leaded solder has been banned from electronic devices.
Hence them dying quicker.
Yes, but I think the main reason is the solder type besides all the technical problems 360s have because of crammed internals, etc. I read somewhere that lead-free solder is actually pretty resistant to heat but Microsoft used the wrong type so it developed hairline fractures.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know nearly as much about the 360 as I do the ps3, but the hardware issues are why I don't game on it. I have 2 falcons and 1 jasper, and I don''t game on any of them.

for a proper reflow/reball, outside of a heatgun, you need a machine. that machine costs hundreds of dollars, so you'd have to send the system to someone who operates a business for this sort of thing. that's the only person who'd have such a machine. a reball is more permanent, but it requires some manual labor which means more expensive. 360s are so cheap now though that you might as well buy another, if you don't want a switch right away. it would be cheaper than fixing the broken console.
I’ll buy another one if anything else fails.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, I think what you mean may be the fact that microsoft didn't accommodate for the dvd drive. it essentially boxed in the cpu and the gpu. plus, there's a heat tunnel (a cheap piece of plastic) next to the heat sinks to dispense heat. the fans are right after the tunnel, so they're a ways away from the chips. this is for phats. I don't know how it's setup with slims since I've never owned one.

TomodachiDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
btw, I think what you mean may be the fact that microsoft didn't accommodate for the dvd drive. it essentially boxed in the cpu and the gpu. plus, there's a heat tunnel (a cheap piece of plastic) next to the heat sinks to dispense heat. the fans are right after the tunnel, so they're a ways away from the chips. this is for phats. I don't know how it's setup with slims since I've never owned one.
Slims are even more crammed.

Reactions: godreborn

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what i can read by the given info you have the last major revision for the xbox 360 (look wise) model E. im a model E owner myself but never had a red ring (yet)
theres the original fat model. the the first slim model was model S and the next revision of the S is model E.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
technically, I don't think there's even a way to get rrod with a slim. it's red dot of death as the center power button will turn red instead. that's one way of getting rid of rrod. lol

TomodachiDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The slim uses a brand new soc design where everything is on one chip built on the 45nm architecture, less heat generated than past revisions in a smaller space
Slims also use less power which means less heat in the system. A friend of mine has had his slim since they first launched and has had no problems with it.
Maybe, but the reason why my Slim red ringed was that the system was full of lint. And Xbox 360s are well known for their problems. Both of my consoles scratched my game discs.

TomodachiDeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I thought game scratching was due to changing the orientation of the system while the drive was reading a disc.
An European TV show proved that they scratched discs because of “normal household vibrations”. I’ll see if I can link you to an article.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unknown. the ps3 might do this, but blurays are more difficult to scratch.. I remember seeing a video of someone putting a bluray disc through some tests to see how resilient it actually was. I was pretty impressed by it. though, ps2 and psx games may suffer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?