Hacking my wii stopped reading disks except for wii sports

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pls help . My wii 1.9g wiikey 3.1 usa ntsc just stopped reading my disks , only boots real wii sports, when i put the wii to my ear when i insert backups it makes noise for 13 seconds then stops reading dvd. I have not even tried smash brothers yet so nothing to do w/ that. What can this be , its reading wii sports properly and i have been playing these games for months so not media. I did burn wii family ski a few weeks ago my only
japanese game could this have something to do w/ it . could i run a recovery disk and how please help thanks

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
If you look around in this forum and others you will see you are not alone. You are lucky if originals still work because some people can't even play them. What you need to do is get your hands on the 1.9b recovery disk the WiiKey team put out and some good DVD-R's like Verbatims. You will also need the 1.9b firmware and the 1.3 config disk. (You can get them from various forums). Anyway. Boot up your Wii, put the 1.9b recovery disk in and wait until the main Wii menu shows up. Now press the reset button on the console. It will re-boot the menu. This part is important....just sit there for at least 3 minutes. It will look like nothing is going on but don't worry, if all goes well your WiiKey will be put back to its factory settings. When finished you will see the GameCube disk channel again. Eject the disk and put in the 1.9b firmware disk (NOT THE 1.9G!!!). Run the setup to set your WiiKey to 1.9b when done, power off the Wii and turn back on. Now you should be able to use the 1.3 config disk. Set it to Region Free ON, DVD Speed 3x. Save Settings. Power off the Wii and now you will be back in business.... Except you won't be able to play SMG untilsome later time when another update comes out.

does this mean no more smg , why cant i update to 1.9g after 1.3 config disk , what would happen, of course the kids have only been playing smg and did this person mean a new wiikey update(probably never) or a new wii update pls help clarify this post for me before i try and lastly , how will wii read 1.9b recovery if it cant read any other games thanks

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course i didnt put it in(the wiikey) and the person who did it is no longer around so i need to take it apart . 6 yrs of college and im afraid to take a wii apart . Obviously a wire is loose? do i just look and resolder wire thats loose, kids will kill me if i f it up . I never attempted the 1.9b recovery disk , should i try that 1st or are all symptoms pointing to loose connection . has anyone w/ disk reading problems had this 1.9 recovery disk work and if i try first(before taking wii apart) will it not let me update to 1.9g as nighthawk refers to in text . All i want is to get it to 1.9g to play smg w/ kids thanks.

(ps , i dont understand why if i use 1.9b recovery then follow nighthawks steps i can only update to 1.9b not g , can someone explain this also) thanks again guys

Posts merged

of course i didnt put it in(the wiikey) and the person who did it is no longer around so i need to take it apart . 6 yrs of college and im afraid to take a wii apart . Obviously a wire is loose? do i just look and resolder wire thats loose, kids will kill me if i f it up . I never attempted the 1.9b recovery disk , should i try that 1st or are all symptoms pointing to loose connection . has anyone w/ disk reading problems had this 1.9 recovery disk work and if i try first(before taking wii apart) will it not let me update to 1.9g as nighthawk refers to in text . All i want is to get it to 1.9g to play smg w/ kids thanks.

(ps , i dont understand why if i use 1.9b recovery then follow nighthawks steps i can only update to 1.9b not g , can someone explain this also) thanks again guys

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys do i follow metal clays instructions w/ recovery then 1.9g or nikghhawks where i can only update to 1.9b ???? of course we want to play smg

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try the recovery disk first. It will get you to 1.9b if successful, and then you can update to 1.9g again. If that doesn't work try a GCOS WiiKey Configuration disc v1.3. If it still doesn't work then you might have popped a wire.

Viictoriio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
slickric33 said:
guys do i follow metal clays instructions w/ recovery then 1.9g or nikghhawks where i can only update to 1.9b ???? of course we want to play smg
Patch SMG and play it with 1.9b. Works fine.

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bad news guys , im so bummed , the recovery disk didnt read, or work or whatever. now what do i do , i dont think its the lens cause it reads wii sports fine . It just stops spinning after about 10 seconds wont read any burned disks. As i said , the recovery 1.9 didnt work. I had my nephews college buddy install wiikey and if u guys remember i had a huge problem a few mts ago where i bought a premodded wii from canada and they stiffed me w/ a clone. Got this kid to install wiikey and now more probs . We only play it 4 hrs per week so i doubt its lazer disk and it does play wii sports.

my question is how could something soldered come loose , could never understand this since we have a pinball machine and the things been fixed a few times and the guy solders stuff that never comes undone w/ tons of tilting . How many wiis have u guys seen actually have a bad solder job when 1 not reading disks 2 recovery disk doesnt work , and u open it up and wiikey is disconnected.

i thought about getting a cyclowiz and swapping chips out but cant find one of them , and since i have an old wii would a wlip work. And of course guys im still not thrilled about taking wii apart myself . Do i have any other options left or do i have to crack it open. How hard is it and if ive built my own computers before can this be that much more difficult. Any pointers on what not to wreck when taking apart and maybe resoldering . Can i f up placement of lens or is this whole thing not as difficult as i think it is

thanks guys

mark187

Trophies
XP
Country
ItsMetaKnight said:
your laser is dead.
the laser dies faster when using a modchip.
No it's not, it still reads Wii sports. Plus mod chips don't damage your laser. Thanks for the useless info though.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii caches the splash intro for a specific game and has it ready when you reboot, so it must not be flushing it and loading a new one when you swap discs. This must be because it is not getting the "media changed" signal. It could be something physical or the mod chip coming loose and interfering with the drive signaling.

slickric33 said:
bad news guys , im so bummed , the recovery disk didnt read, or work or whatever. now what do i do , i dont think its the lens cause it reads wii sports fine . It just stops spinning after about 10 seconds wont read any burned disks. As i said , the recovery 1.9 didnt work. I had my nephews college buddy install wiikey and if u guys remember i had a huge problem a few mts ago where i bought a premodded wii from canada and they stiffed me w/ a clone. Got this kid to install wiikey and now more probs . We only play it 4 hrs per week so i doubt its lazer disk and it does play wii sports.

my question is how could something soldered come loose , could never understand this since we have a pinball machine and the things been fixed a few times and the guy solders stuff that never comes undone w/ tons of tilting . How many wiis have u guys seen actually have a bad solder job when 1 not reading disks 2 recovery disk doesnt work , and u open it up and wiikey is disconnected.

i thought about getting a cyclowiz and swapping chips out but cant find one of them , and since i have an old wii would a wlip work. And of course guys im still not thrilled about taking wii apart myself . Do i have any other options left or do i have to crack it open. How hard is it and if ive built my own computers before can this be that much more difficult. Any pointers on what not to wreck when taking apart and maybe resoldering . Can i f up placement of lens or is this whole thing not as difficult as i think it is

thanks guys
It's not like a modchip is a component soldered into a place on the board where the component is supposed to go, so coming loose is easily possible. Happened to my friend twice on a wired install with a launch Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)