My USB is not recognized

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gifi4, Sep 1, 2010.

Sep 1, 2010

My USB is not recognized by gifi4 at 8:58 AM (928 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Well I let my friend borrow my 4GB USB because he needed to get his work of it and it was working perfectly beforehand and then he calls me up about 1/2 hour later and says it has come up as Removable Disk (instead of it's original name) So I told him to bring it over to let me have a look at it, I plug it into my pc, and this is what I see when I open it.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Now as you can see in my google chrome tabs that were open, I have done some searching (more than what you see) but to no avail has my problem been fixed, I need this usb so badly, it's not so much about the size or anything, it's about what was on it.
    I am really pissed off now and all help is appreciated.

I have already tried
    - Unplugging the usb/removing it safely a few times
    - Editing the the drive name ( changed it from "G" to "Z")
    - I tried to format but what I receive is this:
    - open "Command window here" on usb and I receive this:
    If I click continue it says "The Device is not ready" in cmd and if I click cancel it does the same as Continue, Try again just brings that same error back.

Now is there anyway I can fix this, my friends pc is Windows XP Professional aswell is mine. Please help, 1 more thing when I try and do a scan on my usb with MSE it says " The Drives you selected for scanning don't contain any media. Please insert a CD ROM, DVD or other media and try again."

2. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Try GParted.
    You can either use a Linux LiveCD (Ubuntu is simple to use) or it's own LiveCD (available here)

After running GParted, run a check on the drive (it should attempt to automatically fix any errors). If you get any error messages, please paste them here because it should help diagnose exactly what's gone wrong.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It might be worth trying to plug it into the back of the computer, directly into the motherboard. Sometimes a USB device won't work because some cable somewhere is not sending enough power into it. If that still doesn't work, it may have died, but follow Antoligy's suggestion to get more specific error feedback.

4. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    sadly my computer won't run from a USB so I can't use GParted.

5. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    I've had this problem before. Try a different USB port.

Don't exactly know why, but I'm assuming there's some kind of connection fault when using the one USB port. Switching to another worked perfectly.

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It might be worth pointing out that every USB port has an individual profile record. Occaisionally it gets corrupted in one port and that device will generally not work again. To fix, just find the file and delete, although I've long since forgotten where it is. Had to do it when one of my older laptops wouldn't accept USB mice anymore.

7. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Burn a CD.

8. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I had this same problem a few weeks ago. I don't know how it was fixed. I used another USB stick and it re-installed the driver automatically.