Hardware my umd drive has suddenly stopped working

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was playing Pangya, got stuck at a loading screen.
Now it won't even detect the disc. XMB doesn't even appear until I open the disc tray.
It can detect Field Commander but won't start it.

The system makes humming noises still, but it no longer makes the scratching noises nearly as often as its supposed to. So it's like its an old horse that needs to be put down. ;_;

any ideas/fixes? I'm guessing not
but still, wow. Talk about unexpected.

Attachments

• IMG_20140715_132219.jpg
    IMG_20140715_132219.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 839

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was playing Pangya, got stuck at a loading screen.
Now it won't even detect the disc. XMB doesn't even appear until I open the disc tray.
It can detect Field Commander but won't start it.

The system makes humming noises still, but it no longer makes the scratching noises nearly as often as its supposed to. So it's like its an old horse that needs to be put down. ;_;

any ideas/fixes? I'm guessing not
but still, wow. Talk about unexpected.

I think you can replace the drive if your good at taking things apart and putting them back together. I am pretty sure I have seen replacement UMD drives on DX.com probably pretty cheap these days.

Or you could hack it? Not sure but I think it's possible to do, and then you wouldn't need the drive anymore. Just a large memory stick or MicroSD adapter thingy.

Reactions: zeello

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check other games if you hadn't, see if there is any dirt or objects inside the drive slot. My drive used to have some metal parts bent.
You can go to repair stores to check it out but if all doesn't work out you can resort to playing the game of your memory stick.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried the trick in the first video but it didn't work.

a replacement drive on DX.com is $8.77 US (and free shipping) so I guess I could always do that.

EDIT: The I just did the second video. The middle part spins, laser lights up and bobs up and down. Just like in the video. So everything appears to be working. I wonder what is wrong then. But shouldn't the laser also move left/right? There seems to a conveyer belt to carry the laser left/right. Maybe that is the part that isn't working but this video doesn't test that.

edit: I tried two more PSP games just to be sure. They didn't work. So out of four PSP games total, and none of them work, that tells me its definitely the system and not the games.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started disassembling the PSP but instantly ran into a problem. The 2 screws on top of the system are not Philips so I have no way of removing them.

on the guides on ifixit, and on consolezombie's youtube video, these 2 screws are philips screws just like the ones elsewhere on the system. But on my PSP they are these weird star shaped screws.

Looks like I will have to buy a screwdriver. I just hope I pick out the correct size!

edit: The screws have a 6-pointed shape and they are absurdly small.

Attachments

• _20140716_175641.JPG
    _20140716_175641.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 408
  • _20140716_181912.JPG
    _20140716_181912.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 371

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just opened the umd drive and screwdriver I ordered from deal extreme. The umd drive looks like its been picked up from a scrap heap./And the box it came in has the number 2000 written on it. (and something in Chinese) Shouldnt it say 3000, not 2000?

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I broke my screen connector somehow. This could be a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20140806_144835.jpg
    IMG_20140806_144835.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 391

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I forgot to put in umd door, hinge, spring so I removed the screen, did that, and then reattached it and now I made it worse.

it was actually fine before since although it snapped in the middle, it worked as normal so long as you treat it as one piece

edit: use electrical tape how? you mean I can just use electrical tape instead of the tab, or do I still need the tab in some shape or form in addition to electrical tape?

Attachments

• IMG_20140806_154649.jpg
    IMG_20140806_154649.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 424

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reassemble the PSP and turn it on. green light on, boot up sound plays, but screen isn't on.

I try to disassemble PSP to see whether the cable is still in but I can't remove those t2 screws. The screwdriver I just bought is already ruined.

I should try to see if the umdf drive still works at least. I shouldn't need the screen for that.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you have an old enough PSP, I just recommend hacking it and using ISO's on the MMS. Not worth putting the money into it. When my most of my UMD's stopped reading (no clicking sound) and then the drive went out 6 months after I got my Daxter Slim. I knew it was time.

EDIT: looks like I was too late. Best of luck

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get T2s at hardware stores. I just bought a precision set with T2-T6 included for 10 bucks. You could try a straight driver if you can find one small enough to fit.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why do ppl keep recommending hardware stores? I seriously doubt they will have it since it has nothing to do with hardware. I suppose I could try though.

I went to radio shack and a store that sells iPads, neither had Torx T2. They both had Torx but in bigger sizes only.

This screw is seriously obnoxious BTW. This is already the second time I can't open the PSP because of them. I don't know if its even possible to remove the screws at this point, but if I do, I swear I am not putting them back in. I'll get Philips versions of the screws. (I don't know how to size/measure screws but I will learn.)

oh and p.s.
I inserted a game disc and the xmb attract music didn't play. So it doesn't look like the umd drive works either. Well aint that just great!

First things first though. I gotta check the screen, and to do that I need to undo these screws. I am considering just ordering the same screwdriver from DX.com again. Maybe I will order two this time. I'm not sure though why the screwdriver broke, is it just poor quality or was I too rough?

Getting two screwdrivers actually kinda makes sense, since there are two screws. LOL--Im paying to remove screws at $6 apiece.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just came back from a good hardware store. They did not have torx t2. They had Torx t3 though. Close but no cigar. Also they had a 9 piece torx kit but it was t5 and up. and on the rack there was a sticker for an 11 piece Torx kit but there werent any left in stock. (meaning i dont actually know whether the 11 piece included t2)

What I could do is go on eBay and see if I can buy a bunch of t2 Torx screwdrivers. Or just any site that offers this.

Or, I could give up and sell or donate the PSP. But if I do this should I sell the memory stick separately or bundle it with the PSP?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This driver or a this set are good buys. Of course, the drivers of precision size made of any type of metal will be prone to rounding so these are as good as any.

With a broken UMD drive and non-functioning screen (motherboard problem) I don't think it would be worth it with or without a MS.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is why Torx shouldn't exist.. there are 5 or 6 Philips screws on the PSP and they did not break, only the Torx broke. Its almost like this type of screw is designed yo break easily and is used intentionally to dissuade ppl from taking it apart.

you say the PSP is worthless, so maybe I will sell the memory stick assuming its worth anything. I should sell the psp though, if I can't fix it, because at least it contains a battery, casing, buttons, and possibly a functioning screen that can be used on a different PSP.

bit I'm considering buying that screwdriver on eBay. hurray for spending money on a lost cause.

Can the screen still work if the black tab is broken? Can't I just tape the cable into place or maybe insert a slip of paper or something in the connector to push the cable up?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is part of the reason and also to prevent more easily opening it just because that driver is a "security" screw. Back before the PSP was released it was hard to find them but now it just takes a little more effort to get ahold of them than a straight or Phillips. I would bet another reason is so kids don't open them up.

Yeah paper/tape padding with tape to hold it in place should work.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to remove the screws. (T3 screwdriver did the trick) But now I need a new screen. What is the best site to order a PSP 3000 screen from?

Later I will post pics to show what is wrong with my current screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1