My thoughts on Nintendo Switch hacking

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by MarcelFTW, Jun 25, 2017.

?

Would you like to have the Switch hacked this early or would you like to have it delayed?

1. I want hacking now

62 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. I would want it, but perhaps wait a year or two for it.

62 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. I don't want hacking, at all.

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. MarcelFTW
    OP

MarcelFTW Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2015
    Somewhere in sweden
    I really don't think that hacking the Switch this early would not be a good idea. Why? Because it would make the console seem less interesting for 3rd party devs. But piracy is not the only issue. I know that piracy for the switch isn't going to be available any time soon, but one thing that may come sooner is save editing.
    If save editing would be available for games with online functionality, chanses are that it would get a load of cheaters online.
    Pokémon, is a good example for this.

Many tournaments had tons of cheaters. The worst thing is that if nintendo would do something about it, they would lose a ton of their competitive players.
    However I would not mind if hacking would take place in, let's say a year or two, since the switch would probably have grown bigger in 3rd party support(unless nintendo would fuck up everything and go the same way they did with the Wii U and go completely 1st and 2nd party).
    These are just my opinions, and I'm not saying y'all have to think like I do.

Im not completly sure if this is the right subforum(or whatever it's called) for posting this, if it isn't, please move this to the right one.

Kvac likes this.

2. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    These are not new opinions, I've seen or heard them back in the days of the PSP, and even the Switch too. It's pretty obvious Piracy would make more afraid to develop for the Switch (or any platform for that matter), but at the same time it can increase console sales. The hackers and modders behind the Switch scene are responsible people I believe, they do take all this into account, as they care about the system as much as you do.

3. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Tournaments usually have their own systems setup for a controlled environment, so that's a moot point. Those who cheat online usually get caught and banned straight away, system completely.

The Wii and PSP proved that a system can have rampant piracy and still be successful. And I personally hope the Switch gets hacked, because if it did, it'd be literally the best modified system of all time. Console and Handheld in one. Homebrew, Emulators, maybe Linux & Windows, who knows. There always will be the side effect of piracy, but piracy has been around in the console scene since its infancy, and it's never ever going to go away.

Me personally?: Gamecube games on the go. Skies of Arcadia, crystal clear.... maybe audio mod to get the music to a higher quality. Get to play games I ever touched before..... The Switch has so much potential, and where Nintendo fail to take action and take advantage of that potential, it's up to hackers and homebrewers to take advantage instead.

Last edited by StarGazerTom, Jun 26, 2017
  4. Arkangelshadow

Arkangelshadow Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    Mexico
    Pokemon is a game that has moved a lot of people in the past, so it reasonable to think that when the game is released we will see a lot of new methods to modify/get them all.

Also, we will have data mining when that time comes.

SonyNintendoGamer1 likes this.
  5. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    definitely, even if they have mal intent of wanting to pirate first and formost they'll wait a few years till theres good third party support, they can't pirate a game if it doesn't exist on there(ports not happening do to trust being lost if piracy does happen early)

SonyNintendoGamer1 likes this.
  6. Risingdawn

Risingdawn GBAtemp Pickle

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    When I was a kid we had shelves full of copied amiga/atari discs and draws full of copied music tape cassettes, everyone did.

Piracy is not a new problem, and is actually harder now than it ever was. And yet 30 years on and the industry is still pounding on. Go figure.

7. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I want it now, just so I can backup or edit saves. Pirating can wait till the end of the lifespan of the switch. Just give me the option to have more control over the games I do own and I'll be happy.

8. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    would also like to have homebrew games/emulators, not so bad playing some games with joycons on my tablet

osaka35 and SonyNintendoGamer1 like this.
  9. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    If Nintendo does things right, I actually could say that I don't need hacking on the device, all they have to do is deliver 2 things, one of which I'm sure will definitely happen, the other I'm not so sure about. If Nintendo adds apps for streaming services like Netflix and Youtube, which I'm pretty sure both are going to happen, that would be half of what I'd like to see. The other would be if for the virtual console, they make it a Netflix-like subscription based model where every month you pay a subscription fee and can then play any of the games within the virtual console app so long as you pay the monthly fee. If I had both of those things, then honestly I wouldn't have much use for hacking.

10. Gnarmagon

Gnarmagon Noob <3

Dec 12, 2016
    Germany
    I don't want Piracy because on my 3DS I have too many Games to play and now I played not a single one...
    On the Switch I am forced to play that one Game that I bought with my hard earned money

11. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    the main reason people hack it is to download games.
    Currently there arent enough games out for that. And if you hack a system early on alot of time the game devs back out and dont bring games to the system because they dont want there hard work being downloaded for free.

So I myself dont see a point in hacking the switch. Homebrew doesnt really bring much. I have a phone that can do all i would want. I dont care about old school emu, im sure i have them on another system.

12. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    for now i'd be happy with just a simple official browser from nintendo.

13. SonyNintendoGamer1

SonyNintendoGamer1 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    I want hacking now not for piracy but for translation mods and save editing. Piracy can come later tho.

14. Tsubakiandou

Tsubakiandou GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2016
    understand new users coming here go straight for piracy while most of the old users are here for emulation and modifying files when it comes to developing such apps it isnt gloom and doom for your user end do not worry. If a "hack" happens it will be washed down at first and most exploits you will never see for these reasons and will be witheld for a long time so you wont see much. the first you might ever see will be a soft hack first which is going to be an "entry point" for emulation and homebrew so if any of you are worried about devs backing out from partnerships and already established contracts dont worry.

15. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I'd love for it to be hacked now so I can run some gamecube emulators and other emulators on it so I would use it more (I don't have any money for games at the moment which is why I'm not using it, not because I don't like it).
    On the other hand, realistically, piracy would probably come along right after some stable emulators are made.
    Alas how cruel reality can be.

16. Zach9o9

Zach9o9 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2016
    United States
    I mostly prefer save editing because it helps add life to a game that I want the most out of. But people are jerks and always take the fun out of everything and do jer things like making a bricking program, or prevent games from getting on the console because of rampant hacking.

17. Zach9o9

Zach9o9 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2016
    United States
    I mostly prefer save editing because it helps add life to a game that I want the most out of. But people are jerks and always take the fun out of everything and do jer things like making a bricking program, or prevent games from getting on the console because of rampant hacking.

18. darklordrs

darklordrs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    Oh, for fuck's sake, one of these posts. Every single time hacking starts up for something new...

For starters, honestly, "here's my opinion on X or Y" posts basically have no grounds being here.

This has proven time and time again to not be true. Ever. The Wii, 3DS, PSP, Vita, Wii U etc. all got completely blown open and still had as much third party support as beforehand, if not more.

One, cheating is the least of your concerns with a paid online service in place. That almost guarantees better moderation and a greater entry barrier for people who just want to ruin fun for other people. Second, Pokémon is an impressively terrible example, being as it's a game that hinges on constant RNG and that even the most competitive players solely use save editing to circumvent said bullshit entry barriers. It's essentially a requirement if you don't want to waste massive amounts of time dealing with poorly designed team creation. Third, even if neither of these things apply, cheaters are rare as hell in just about any video game. You in particular have nothing to worry about here.

I hope this isn't somehow a surprise to you, but bad or good third-party support is in no way Nintendo's decision. The Wii U was simply a poor console with little hype behind it; the Switch, on the other hand, has had far more mileage since well before release and already has massive third party support. Third party support is hardly even relevant to the success of most consoles anyway, so really - stop worrying about it.

tl;dr edition "chill god damn none of this is a problem"

shinrukus and Tsubakiandou like this.
  19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    too late they got the damn sdk there's no turning back now. expect backup loaders, cheat tools for MK and the whole kit and kaboodle soon.

20. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Third party devs knew what I knew the first second the WiiU was released. This poorly thought out console is going to be a huge failure.

Software makers will support popular consoles.

21. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    anyone can get the sdk, i even have access to the dev portal