My Space Invaders Remake... with a twist!

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o9QuCFuAFxY

QUOTE said:
Hey all, here's a video of a game I developed at University. It's a remake of the classic game Space Invaders using C++ and OpenGL. The difference is though, there's a small twist. There's actually a pong paddle in the game! The pong paddle deflects the missiles of both the ship and the alien.

I started this game around early november and finished it in mid-december. I'm hoping to work on the game, improve upon it, adding in a menu, different levels, possibly different weapons.

As you can see, the collision detection isn't that great, so I'll definitely improve upon that. That will be pretty simple, really.

What do you think should be added into the game? Post your comments. Unfortunately I cannot distribute the game yet, however this may be possible soon. Watch this space!

EDIT: This video was supposed to be in widescreen. Oh well. The actual game runs in a 2:1 screen format. I guess adding in options to change the screen resolution is a good idea?

Yes, this is my game. What do you all think? It's a WIP, despite me handing this version in.

IainDS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does the pong paddle actually do anything? There is no collision detection!

Update us when you release it though, the concept is awesome!

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Interesting idea.. but the the paddle is looking kinda useless, would be nicer if the player could control it or something. The enemies are looking weird passing each other, if I remember well, on the original Space Invaders the enemies went down to the next row all together..

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
IainDS said:
Does the pong paddle actually do anything? There is no collision detection!

Update us when you release it though, the concept is awesome!

at 0:28-0:30 you can see the pong paddle deflecting the player's missile. The reason why the collision system is so shit is because it's relying on a grid based collision system instead of a sprite-to-sprite collision based system (which is why you saw the aliens die a second before the missile hit them on occasion).

Here's a list of updates I want to include:

Highly improved collision system (this is my top priority on this project)
Controllable pong paddle
Controllable aliens
Aliens move as whole group, and lines can move by themselves (when controlled)
Missile Varities
Multiple Levels
Menu screen
Changeable screen resolution

And, another game play mode which I don't quite want to reveal just yet, simply because it's going to be a far way off from getting it done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...