My slow Uneek + DI installation

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Hugh Verdam, Mar 13, 2011.

Mar 13, 2011
  1. Hugh Verdam
    OP

Newcomer Hugh Verdam Member

United States
    I just wanted to check on something with you.

I used ModMii to create a Uneek + DI install. (I chose the red SM theme, for what it's worth). Also, for what it's worth, I have a 640gb Seagate FreeAgent Go drive, single active partition, FAT 32, 32kb clusters.

It more or less works OK, and I appreciate the fact that Uneek gives you an "unbrickable" version of the Wii. I just don't know how practical it is.

All apps, etc., function well when they're running, but the waiting times for them to start are a bit too much for me.

For example, when I start the Homebrew Channel, it takes about 30 seconds for it to show up. If I click on an app like Bootmii Config, another 60 seconds will go by before it shows up.

Is that normal? Is that what others experience?

I also compiled a version of Uneek using Crediar's SNEEKInstallerv0.1b6 (but I used it on the same NAND that ModMii built). There was no difference in speed. I didn't time it but, if anything, the compiled version seemed a little longer.

I just wanted to check. If this is normal for everyone?

2. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Have you tried defragging your drive? My drive was slow and this helped., also doing chkdsk seemed to help too

3. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a Freeagent Go 320 GB. I don't think it's THAT slow though. I've been using my own SVN compiles.

I haven't had it go that slow for me though, however I only use uneek for wii games. Homebrew I use my normal nand.

Perhaps try defragmenting as was said. If you have a lot of games on the drive that would probably help some, but as is stated in the documentation, the less is ont he drive, the faster it is with uneek.

4. Hugh Verdam
    OP

United States
    Well, I have a huge number of games installed now, but it ran just as slowly when there were only 20. I have run chkdsk, but I'll try to defrag and see what that does.

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    No Uneek Di is just as fast as my "real" Nand.
    Only the first time I ran it it took longer.

I'm using a WD Elements 1 TB Drive.
    Uneek Di made with Modmii ( rev 150 )

Some times when I'm having problems (like Uneek not starting), I just delete the config files of Uneek.
    USB:/Sneek/

6. Hugh Verdam
    OP

United States
    Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

I've kind of hit a brick wall in this. I ran chkdsk, defragged my disk, created a region.bin, deleted the config and cache files---but there has been no appreciable difference in speed. It doesn't seem like my drive is super, super slow--it loads USB backups pretty quickly. But I built the nand several times with ModMii and I'm not convinced the problem is there, either. Weird.

After I click on a WiiWare game, it takes about 25 seconds before the first screen appears. When I click out, it takes at least a minute for the SM to reappear. Every once in a while, it doesn't reappear at all. As I mentioned above, Homebrew is even worse--about 30 seconds to get into the Homebrew Browser and another minute for any app you click on to run.

If I'm in my real nand, load bootmii config, and press the button to swap bootmii's and reboot, it reboots to a black screen. The only way for me to boot Uneek is to swap bootmii's and then take the wii to standby (red light). Only then will it boot into Uneek.

Functionally, everything seems to work, more or less. But the waiting times are so long it doesn't seem practical to use Uneek for anything other than the few games Mighty Channels won't run.

Like I said, weird. Wish I could figure it out.

7. OverjoY

Member OverjoY GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    And you are sure you set up Uneek+DI.. These times are more like Sneek+DI

8. Hugh Verdam
    OP

United States
    Ah, once again I have followed my five-step process:

1. I have a problem with my Wii.
    2. I go crazy trying to troubleshoot it.
    3. I finally ask for advice on the forum.
    4. As soon as I hit "submit" on my post, the problem goes away.
    5. I feel like an ass-hat.

Actually, all I did was delete and rebuild the nand (exactly as I did all the other times). The only difference was instead of choosing the red-themed System Menu that ModMii offers, I chose the standard one. That is the only difference. I let the Wii rebuild the nand from there. I dumped in about 30 games with ShowMiiWads. Now everything runs like a bat outta hell. DI, too.

I have no explanation. [​IMG]

9. danb1983

Newcomer danb1983 Newbie

Canada
    I have experienced the same with the usb 1TB Western Digital hard drive being very slow. I tried installing it on a 16 G usb stick and it works great. Same speeds as the real system. Any ideas why this might be?