Hardware My nintendo switch screen won't display anything.

mikechris33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I left my switch charging over night and today when I woke up and turned it on again I couldn't see anything being displayed. You can still hear the sounds and you can see the backlight when you turn it on. I tried some remedies for it like turning it off and on and pressing the + and - buttons at the same time when turning it off but nothing will work. Can you guys help me?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I left my switch charging over night and today when I woke up and turned it on again I couldn't see anything being displayed. You can still hear the sounds and you can see the backlight when you turn it on. I tried some remedies for it like turning it off and on and pressing the + and - buttons at the same time when turning it off but nothing will work. Can you guys help me?
You should hold + and - at the same time as turning it ON. That will boot it into recovery mode. Do not press anything else afterwards though as you could accidentally format your Switch. I just want to see if it will display anything in recovery mode, if it won't then it must be a hardware issue.

mikechris33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should hold + and - at the same time as turning it ON. That will boot it into recovery mode. Do not press anything else afterwards though as you could accidentally format your Switch. I just want to see if it will display anything in recovery mode, if it won't then it must be a hardware issue.
Thanks for the advice! I think I have tried that before but I will try again, thanks!

mikechris33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it and it did not work sadly :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hope the charger didn't fry anything inside your switch.
Me too, I really hope it's not a hardware issue.

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like the backlight on the screen went out to me. go in a pitch black room , look at the screen at an angle, with a not to bright flashlight and seen if you can see a image at all. if so the backlight is out. That would mean you need a new screen. they are $45 on amazon. Also backlights tend to work for a few seconds even when they are bad. So seeing it work at 1st sounds even more like thats the problem

Last edited by Undwiz,

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Tried it and it did not work sadly :(

Me too, I really hope it's not a hardware issue.
I feel you. I bought a third party dock and charger but have never use it since the news of these products frying switches. I love the switch but the quality of the system isn't really that good.

mikechris33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel you. I bought a third party dock and charger but have never use it since the news of these products frying switches. I love the switch but the quality of the system isn't really that good.
I agree, I got two pairs of joycons (including the ones that came with the switch) and both all of the joycons got faulty latches and two of them have drifting issues.

sounds like the backlight on the screen went out to me. go in a pitch black room , look at the screen at an angle, with a not to bright flashlight and seen if you can see a image at all. if so the backlight is out. That would mean you need a new screen. they are $45 on amazon. Also backlights tend to work for a few seconds even when they are bad. So seeing it work at 1st sounds even more like thats the problem
I tried that and I could not see anything being displayed. What I could see is a bunch of green, red and blue pixels in the middle.

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, I got two pairs of joycons (including the ones that came with the switch) and both all of the joycons got faulty latches and two of them have drifting issues.

I tried that and I could not see anything being displayed. What I could see is a bunch of green, red and blue pixels in the middle.

Yeah sounds like the screen is done for then. if your getting sound but no display , then its probably the screen. There is nothing software you can do even if it was since you can't see anything.

Does it work on the dock ? not seeing anything about how it acts on the dock

Last edited by Undwiz,

mikechris33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah sounds like the screen is done for then. if your getting sound but no display , then its probably the screen. There is nothing software you can do even if it was since you can't see anything.

Does it work on the dock ? not seeing anything about how it acts on the dock
I have a dock but I don't have a TV to test on right now. Also the touch screen works.

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a dock but I don't have a TV to test on right now. Also the touch screen works.

The touch part is different. if it all seems to be working other then not being able to see something then its the backlight or screen malfunction.

You really need to hook it up to a TV , I am sure it will work on a TV. it is for sure the screen.

You could try taking it apart and disconnect and reconnect the screen ribbon cables. they break easy so be careful and they have small clamps that can fall off . watch a youtube video first on how. While you have it apart I'd try leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours before you put it all back together. Also only do this if you feel comfortable. you will have to do this to replace the screen. other wise get a TV and use it that way only for now on.. ... Your screen may have came loose but is prob dead...... did you drop it before or after charging it ?

mikechris33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The touch part is different. if it all seems to be working other then not being able to see something then its the backlight or screen malfunction.

You really need to hook it up to a TV , I am sure it will work on a TV. it is for sure the screen.

You could try taking it apart and disconnect and reconnect the screen ribbon cables. they break easy so be careful and they have small clamps that can fall off . watch a youtube video first on how. While you have it apart I'd try leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours before you put it all back together. Also only do this if you feel comfortable. you will have to do this to replace the screen. other wise get a TV and use it that way only for now on.. ... Your screen may have came loose but is prob dead...... did you drop it before or after charging it ?
Nope. I've never dropped it. Anyways thank you ill try to hook it up to a TV and tell you tomorrow.

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I've never dropped it. Anyways thank you ill try to hook it up to a TV and tell you tomorrow.

Alrighty, if you happen to live near Hickory NC, and you buy the screen you can come to my home and I will install it for free.

Also did it feel hot after charge ? heat could maybe make the cables come loose.. rare but if they was not in just right from factory then maybe.

Last edited by Undwiz,

mikechris33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, if you happen to live near Hickory NC, and you buy the screen you can come to my home and I will install it for free.

Also did it feel hot after charge ? heat could maybe make the cables come loose.. rare but if they was not in just right from factory then maybe.
The switch did not feel hot at all. Also thanks but I live in Canada.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
99.9% it's the LCD screen, I purchased my first Switch for cheap ages ago that only worked on docked mode, undocked I can hear sound when tapping on the screen. If you tilt the switch in a certain angle with a light source shining on it, you can see the display is actually showing something but no back light and you can navigate with no issues, so that tells my my digitizer was still good, as someone already mentioned the digitizer and LCD screen are separate.

I got a replacement LCD on eBay for cheap and replaced it myself, and it's been working ever since.

Here is a few things you should know and consider:

Dusty Environment:
Beware of dusty environment and grab yourself some compressed air in a can, doesn't matter how hard you try to wipe the new LCD screen and the digitizer, the static of the screens will attract dust and this will annoy the hell out of you once you put it back and there is dust under the screen.

LCD Screen:
Doesn't matter if it's original or aftermarket, the LCD is smaller than the frame where it sits in, you will have a few mm gaps all around, yes there is a few notches on the frame where the LCD will sit nice and secure but once you put the digitizer back on, the LCD screen WILL be out of alignment. You will notice when testing the screen before you put it all back, the LCD doesn't use all it's surface area, there is a small boarder, so you can imagine trying to align everything up when you put everything back together. For some this wont be an issue but for others (like me), just noticing the screen is not centered and not aligned can get on your nerves pretty quickly. I assume from factory they have some sort of jig or template they use to install the LCD. The digitizer which is the front screen is a pretty tight and snug fit so you don't have to worry about aligning this up, it's the LCD screen you have to worry about.

With all these factors, you have to navigate all of this and trying not to get any dust or finger prints on both the LCD and Digitizer, while your at it, it's recommended that you clean off the factory thermal paste and get some new arctic silver thermal paste, this will help with the cooling.

Trying not to scare you if your going to attempt this yourself but take it slow and don't rush in taking your Switch apart, to replace the LCD, you pretty much have to take everything apart, take photos if you have (or use google pics of tear downs) to know where everything goes when putting it back together.

This is talking from my experience, I'm confident in doing these kind of things but for someone who isn't, if your not careful you can pretty much stuff things up.

Good luck.

Last edited by xs4all,
Reactions: Undwiz

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
99.9% it's the LCD screen, I purchased my first Switch for cheap ages ago that only worked on docked mode, undocked I can hear sound when tapping on the screen. If you tilt the switch in a certain angle with a light source shining on it, you can see the display is actually showing something but no back light and you can navigate with no issues, so that tells my my digitizer was still good, as someone already mentioned the digitizer and LCD screen are separate.

I got a replacement LCD on eBay for cheap and replaced it myself, and it's been working ever since.

Dusty Environment:
Beware of dusty environment and grab yourself some compressed air in a can, doesn't matter how hard you try to wipe the new LCD screen and the digitizer, the static of the screens will attract dust and this will annoy the hell out of you once you put it back and there is dust under the screen.

LCD Screen:
Doesn't matter if it's original or aftermarket, the LCD is smaller than the frame where it sits in, you will have a few mm gaps all around, yes there is a few notches on the frame where the LCD will sit nice and secure but once you put the digitizer back on, the LCD screen WILL be out of alignment. You will notice when testing the screen before you put it all back, the LCD doesn't use all it's surface area, there is a small boarder, so you can imagine trying to align everything up when you put everything back together. For some this wont be an issue but for others (like me), just noticing the screen is not centered and not aligned can get on your nerves pretty quickly. I assume from factory they have some sort of jig or template they use to install the LCD. The digitizer which is the front screen is a pretty tight and snug fit so you don't have to worry about aligning this up, it's the LCD screen you have to worry about.

With all these factors, you have to navigate all of this and trying not to get any dust or finger prints on both the LCD and Digitizer, while your at it, it's recommended that you clean off the factory thermal paste and get some new arctic silver thermal paste, this will help with the cooling.

Trying not to scare you if your going to attempt this yourself but take it slow and don't rush in taking your Switch apart, to replace the LCD, you pretty much have to take everything apart, take photos if you have (or use google pics of tear downs) to know where everything goes when putting it back together.

This is talking from my experience, I'm confident in doing these kind of things but for someone who isn't, if your not careful you can pretty much stuff things up.

Good luck.

Great Advice. I would have tried to give as good as advice if he decided to go with it ,, but man you nailed it :)

In the end tho 'OP' if it works on a TV and you don't want to take it apart then you may have to deal with it just being a home console only. I only use mine docked. Sorry your having problems hate to hear that even if I had a reason not to like you... I don't have a reason just saying.

Last edited by Undwiz,
Reactions: xs4all

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dusty Environment:

LCD Screen:

Good luck.

Just thought of one thing about the AS5 tho.. it is Semi-conductive and the switch does have some leads that could short from to much compound used. is a small chance but years ago I had fried some vid cards because of that. So a non-conductive paste would be better. xs4all is right , if it is apart do it all . .. but if you do not know how to control AS5 use some thing else.

Reactions: xs4all

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just thought of one thing about the AS5 tho.. it is Semi-conductive and the switch does have some leads that could short from to much compound used. is a small chance but years ago I had fried some vid cards because of that. So a non-conductive paste would be better. xs4all is right , if it is apart do it all . .. but if you do not know how to control AS5 use some thing else.

Good point that you pointed out, I don't know the in's and out's of the technical side of things but if this is the case, then a good alternative should be used or be careful with the amount used.

There is some really good YouTube videos showing you various techniques on how to correctly apply thermal paste, I used the pea size method, a small blob in the center, once the parts are pressed together it will spread evenly.

Reactions: Undwiz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over