Hardware My next gaming Rig - bit help :)

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....&subcat=160 - Case
-Still looking- - Motherboard
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1859 - Processor
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1752 - Graphics card
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....123&subcat= - PSU 850 Watt
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1279 - Harddrive
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....&subcat=951 - DVD Rom
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....d=8&subcat= - RAM

These are the parts I chose. Am not going to buy from them, but just as examples. Also, I might go for a SSD for Operating System.
Any suggestions? Anything I need to change?

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
I think you can't OC an i7 2600, you need an i7 2600K for that (or at least that's what I read)

That's close to the configuration I want to get next month, except for a few details. I advise you to get WD hard drive instead of Samsung. Also, you could get two and put them in RAID 0, that would improve the speed, and it's cheaper than getting an SSD (and you're not limited to 100-something GB). I think nVidia GPUs are better for gaming, at least that's what I was told, and looking at benchmarks, they seem better than ATI.

That's a good website for comparing CPU and GPUs :
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wasnt aware about the overclockin factor o.o.
The GTX 570 is a little better than the ATI Radeon 6950, but quite a price difference there. So might aswell go for the 6950
smile.gif

Also, yeah I was thinking of RAID 0.

meornot0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. The i7 2600 cannot increase the clock multiplyer, it can only increase the base clock. If that makes no sence to you, ask me to elaborate.
2. If your looking for a 6950, look to see if it's unlockable to a 6970.
3. Amd is just as good as Nvidia, and it has the advantage of good opencl performance.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Damn these threads are popular today. Ok, I've got chocolate at hand and I'm mostly repeating myself (or regurgitating CustomPC magazine) anyway, so... fight!

- Nice case.
- Nice CPU. If you don't care about overclocking, then there's no problem. The 2600 (non K) can only gain an extra 400Mhz or so due to its locked multiplier, but the 2600K can get as far as 5.1Ghz of the 5.4Ghz theoretical maximum (IIRC... it may have been 5.2 out of 5.6 maximum, but I'd have to dig out the right CPC magazine issue for that). If you're going to overclock, get the K version.
- Lots of people don't like MSI because of the number of features they cut, and the motherboard you picked out isn't one of their best. CPC basically have 2 recommendations in terms of value. The Asus Sabertooth P67 (with "thermal armour" technology) has the best ratings when playing games, but is not the best at overclocking (probably due to the unique thermal armour design it has) at £155. The MSI P67A-GD53 is the best overclocker (leaving aside the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme, which is just too expensive) at £109 from ebuyer.
- Nice graphics. As you mentioned, the GTX 570 is better, but the HD 6950 is still good and is more affordable. One thing though, please don't use "ATI" - they don't exist. I know overclockers used ATI too (which they're not supposed to), but AMD acquired ATI a couple years back and they're no longer using the ATI brand (starting from the HD6 series, it's just AMD).
- For the PSU, 850W might be a bit overkill unless you plan to go CrossFire at some point in the future. Then again, you can never get a PSU that's "too powerful", and not going near 90% load will extend the lifespan.
- Good selection of HDD. Certain WD Caviar Black HDDs (basically the newer ones, but they don't make it easy to tell which ones are which) do have better performance than the Samsung Spinpoint F3, but the F3 is cheaper so better value. Also, in RAID arrays, Spinpoint F3s are recommended over any WD drives (based of Toms Hardware) and, in a big enough array, can even beat some SSDs. Caviar Blue HDDs are roughly the same price as Samsung HDDs, but Samsung performs better.
- DVD drive... not much I can say. £20 is standard, and Pioneer are one of the more preferred brands with system designers.
- 8GB of RAM is overkill, and it's unlikely you'll even use up 4GB. Then again, times are changing and high-powered systems are starting to see the benefits of having 6GB of RAM.

Aside from the suggestions I made, there's not much to say. Oh right, useful lil fact. Since you're in London, you can find some very good deals in the saturday computer fairs (particularly the one in Tottenham Court Road). There's even a guy there I know who is often willing to undercut online prices if you're getting a lot of parts from him (or maybe it's just me, because I keep going to him when people ask me to build new computers for them).

EDIT: @meornot0, the 2600 CAN increase the multiplier, but not by much. A 2400 can be overclocked to around 3.9Ghz, so I imagine a 2600 can be overclocked a bit further. Fun fact about Sandy Bridge though: the base clock cannot be overclocked by more than 5Mhz (from 100Mhz) without crashing. Overclocking a Sandy Bridge CPU is almost entirely about the multiplier. Here's an entire page about overclocking Sandy Bridge (and the limitations of the "locked multiplier").
EDIT2: I forgot to mention... regarding nVidia vs AMD... leaving the drivers aside, nVidia cards are better at rendering than AMD cards, and this translates to better performance in games with plenty of post-processing effects. There's a couple other things (regarding the differences in technology), but that'd be too complicated to explain (so I try not to remember it).

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks
smile.gif
. I will probably go to the Computer fair you mentioned.

The RAM was a bit overkill lol, FAST suggested me: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1517

I do want to stay 8GB. No hassle for anytime near the future.

I do want to overclock in the future, so might aswell pay the extra £20 and go for the "K".

Changed the motherboard: how about this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....7-AS&tool=5 ?

The HDD.. I will probably have RAID 0 setup, but not right now.

PSU - Yes, I shall have crossfire set-up in the future.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Regarding the ASUS motherboard, I'll just copy out the conclusion from CPC.
QUOTE said:
The P8P67 is a quick motherboard that's let down by a lack of features; it lacks on-board power switches and a CMOS clear switch, and it isn't SLI-compatible. It also costs more than similar motherboards on test, making the MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) better value.
They also mention that "The lower 16x slot offers only four lanes of bandwidth, so while the board is CrossFireX-compatible, you won't get the best out of a second graphics card.". Basically, this isn't the motherboard you want.

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
myuusmeow said:
This PSU is only compatible with a few Antec cases, because it is a different shape than a regular PSU. So I am pretty sure that it will be incompatible with the HAF 922

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/18...r-supplies.html

That thread of Overclock.net lists high quality PSUs, get one about 750w-850w.
Thanks for pointing out, lol. My mistake
smile.gif
. The other case, I chose for someone else. I am going for Antec 1200.

Originality said:
Regarding the ASUS motherboard, I'll just copy out the conclusion from CPC.
QUOTEThe P8P67 is a quick motherboard that's let down by a lack of features; it lacks on-board power switches and a CMOS clear switch, and it isn't SLI-compatible. It also costs more than similar motherboards on test, making the MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) better value.
They also mention that "The lower 16x slot offers only four lanes of bandwidth, so while the board is CrossFireX-compatible, you won't get the best out of a second graphics card.". Basically, this isn't the motherboard you want.
I see.. well could you suggest me one with reasonable price?
I am looking into further details. I can change every part in the future, but I wold like to bother with the motherboard.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The twice mentioned MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) is only £109, so that's probably a good place to start. It might not have a rear-panel FireWire port or internal USB3 headers (typically used for cases that support USB3, and there are very few of them), but it is the best over clocker... Aside from the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme, but that costs too much for your needs.

Next month CPC will have a whole bunch of Z68 motherboards on review, but they all seem to cost £160+ so you probably don't need to worry about them.

D

Deleted User

Do not get a 2600k for gaming, get a 2500k, there is almost no different between the two for gaming, matter of a fact, the 2500k can overclock higher in some cases and give you better framerates in games.

Trust me, coming from a guy who has a 2500k @4.6ghz, I get temps of 30 deg idle, 50 under gaming load, the cpu is beast, and the money you save you can invest in a better GPU/HDD.

Honestly, if I was you, I would get something like an NZXT phantom case, and a 2500k, and with the money saved, get a 6970 or 570 if you could.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The NZXT phantom... Well, that would depend on your taste. Some people might like it's... Unique look, some people might think it's tacky.

The main difference between the i5-2500k and i7-2600k is hyper threading. The 2500k is a quad core with 4 threads, whilst the 2600k is a quad core with 8 threads. That makes the 2500k slightly better at over clocking because it doesn't have to divide resources for hyper threading. FYI, a stable OC for the 2500k is 4.9Ghz and 4.8Ghz for the 2600k, although the 2600k has been pushed to 5.3Ghz of the theoretical maximum of 5.7Ghz (I found the CPC article of it this morning).
EDIT: I'll also add that the 2500K has been pushed to 5.1Ghz, which is the highest seen so far (using an Asus P8P67-M Pro motherboard).

Most games only use 2 threads, some games 4 threads, and a couple games up to 6 threads (can't remember which ones). The OP hasn't mentioned what he wants the computer for so I haven't judged his choice of CPU in relation to gaming. What I can say is that there is no downside to getting a 2600k over a 2500k so don't say don't. Just give advice and let him choose for himself.

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@brandonspikes
I am aware that the 2500k is strong enough for gaming. Limiting factor is the GPU more than the CPU these days. If the price difference was HUGE, I would have gone for the 2500k, however the price difference isnt all that much, so might aswell go for the i7? Hyperthreading etc.

As for the NZXT phantom case, I wont say its ugly or bad but it doesnt appeal me lol.

CM HAF 902 and the Antec 1200 looks pretty good. The antect 1200 is a HUGE rig, but more stuff will be added in the future so thats a good thing.

@Originality
the title "My next gaming Rig"
tongue.gif
! SO I did mention what I want it for lol.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I stand corrected (I completely didn't notice). Probably from using the iPad first thing in the morning to check up on stuff.

I've got an Antec 1200 myself, so I can testify how awesome it is. It's also one of the few cases that can fit the longest/largest dual-GPU graphics cards (such as the HD6990 and GTX590).

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, Antec 1200 is a great and the V3 even has USB3
smile.gif

As for the motherboard.. the ones I am interested in are just too expensive lol.. gotta have cutting edges and go for medium range one.

D

Deleted User

Tanveer said:
@brandonspikes
I am aware that the 2500k is strong enough for gaming. Limiting factor is the GPU more than the CPU these days. If the price difference was HUGE, I would have gone for the 2500k, however the price difference isnt all that much, so might aswell go for the i7? Hyperthreading etc.

As for the NZXT phantom case, I wont say its ugly or bad but it doesnt appeal me lol.

CM HAF 902 and the Antec 1200 looks pretty good. The antect 1200 is a HUGE rig, but more stuff will be added in the future so thats a good thing.

@Originality
the title "My next gaming Rig"
tongue.gif
! SO I did mention what I want it for lol.

In america, its 100$ difference, and the 100$ I would save could be used for a better GPU, hyperthreading does nothing for video games. ( for 2500k - 2600k )

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got the cash ready
biggrin.gif
I didnt get the chance to choose the motherboard yet.

Also, didnt get the chance to go to the fair Originality mentioned, but lets see this upcoming weekend
biggrin.gif

I am gonna stick with the 2600K, as I am getting it at reasonable price.
Depending on a few personal factors, I might get liquid cooling and overclock right away
smile.gif

Suggestions on the motherboard?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ben_j said:
Also, you could get two and put them in RAID 0, that would improve the speed, and it's cheaper than getting an SSD (and you're not limited to 100-something GB).

This statement isn't exactly true, RAID 0 improve read/write speed but what makes SSD faster than HDD isn't the read/writte speed but the seek time.
Actually, the read/write speed on some SSD (especially the cheaper or olde ones) are much slower than what you would have on a hard drive and they still feel like they are faster because the seek time is below 0.1ms while a HDD will have an average seek time of 8-9ms.

QUOTE(Tanveer @ Jul 18 2011, 03:10 PM) Suggestions on the motherboard?

ASUS p8p67 pro
ASUS p8p67 EVO
ASUS p8z68

Gigabyte Z68 UD3 series and up

the main concern if you want to use a high-end crossfire setup is to have at least dual X8 pci express, (it can also work with a x16+x4 or x8+x4).
It is possible to have dual x16 pci express on a z68 chipset if you are willing to pay 300$us and up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1