Hardware How is this for a mid-high gaming system?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm hoping to build a gaming desktop soon. I did consider an i7 and 1080 build, but I'm not really an enthusiast gamer anyways and will be coming from a laptop with a 840m. I put together a list of probable parts using PCPartPicker, but some components (such as mobo, ram, cpu) are automatically chosen as the cheapest from a set of criteria I defined and I may go up a little to a nicer part that's just slightly more expensive. But I think I've pretty much settled on the case, cpu, and gpu.

PCPartPicker part list "Alpha Prime" / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($283.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: *ASRock H110M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.98 @ NCIX)
Memory: *Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: *Mushkin ECO2 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($145.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($57.60 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: *Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.88 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($115.50 @ shopRBC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP! ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1282.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-26 17:17 EDT-0400

I can just buy the bare minimum at first to save up front - even using Daz for a Windows 7 installation - then buy the rest of the parts as I can get them. What's your opinion on this build?

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont buy Windows 10 lol but other than that its high performance and can bust out 1440p easily with everything maxed out ( maybe with AAA off).
Small suggestion though change the hard drive to a 240-250 SSD ( For your OS) and a secondary 2TB Black drive from Western Digital (For Media).
One Last thing try to get two more fans as this thing is compact and will heat up, last thing you want to do is thermal throttle. Just noticed that thing has one huge ass fan in it ll i've never seen that before.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dont buy Windows 10 lol but other than that its high performance and can bust out 1440p easily with everything maxed out ( maybe with AAA off).
Small suggestion though change the hard drive to a 240-250 SSD ( For your OS) and a secondary 2TB Black drive from Western Digital (For Media).
One Last thing try to get two more fans as this thing is compact and will heat up, last thing you want to do is thermal throttle. Just noticed that thing has one huge ass fan in it ll i've never seen that before.
I have considered using Daz's Loader to get Windows 7 to activate, but nothing similar exists for Windows 10 - Which I think may become a necessity soon. I might see if people think Windows 10 will start getting discounts after the free upgrade expires in three days, and just stick with Windows 7 until it happens.

But as it is I like Windows 10. It's right at home on a desktop unlike Windows 8. But I'm happy sticking with Windows 7 for a while to save money.

And yes, the fan is honking big. I can install two 80mm fans in the rear, but since I'm only getting a 65W i5 that isn't overclockable I probably won't need it. And the GPU has bigass fans that will be right next to a ventilation grill.

I can consider a 256GB SSD. I mostly wanted a bigger one to hold more games, but realistically 256gb should be fine especially when supplanted with a hdd - but I only save $40, which is what the HDD costs.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have considered using Daz's Loader to get Windows 7 to activate, but nothing similar exists for Windows 10 - Which I think may become a necessity soon. I might see if people think Windows 10 will start getting discounts after the free upgrade expires in three days, and just stick with Windows 7 until it happens.

But as it is I like Windows 10. It's right at home on a desktop unlike Windows 8. But I'm happy sticking with Windows 7 for a while to save money.

And yes, the fan is honking big. I can install two 80mm fans in the rear, but since I'm only getting a 65W i5 that isn't overclockable I probably won't need it. And the GPU has bigass fans that will be right next to a ventilation grill.

I can consider a 256GB SSD. I mostly wanted a bigger one to hold more games, but realistically 256gb should be fine especially when supplanted with a hdd - but I only save $40, which is what the HDD costs.
No im not saying you shouldn't use windows 10 im just saying you don't need to buy it. Who would want to abandon DX12 support?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No im not saying you shouldn't use windows 10 im just saying you don't need to buy it. Who would want to abandon DX12 support?
How so? And is it anywhere as reliable and maintenance-free as Daz? Daz emulates a SLIC table license and so once installed will effectively work forever (I think there's a KB you have to block though that specifically checks for it)

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How so? And is it anywhere as reliable and maintenance-free as Daz? Daz emulates a SLIC table license and so once installed will effectively work forever (I think there's a KB you have to block though that specifically checks for it)
You can just use KMSPico but if you want to buy windows 10 cheap you can get it here https://www.kinguin.net/ for roughly 30.

PS: Get the $1 buyer protection just in case.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunate that the free upgrade period is ending soon as win 7 + daz loader & upgrade to 10 from there gets you onto a legit 10 as it appears MS can't tell any difference between true oem and latest daz loader.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really? That's unfortunate. I suspected it would work, but I'm a couple months away from building my PC. I should still be able to use an upgrade version, or just wait for a major discount on a legitimate license.

Thanks for the link to Kinguin, I'll check it out. I'm surprised they are able to get such a heavy discount.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also something called "Microsoft Toolkit" that does essentially the same thing. I may or may not have used it for my copy of Win10 Pro and Windows Defender is currently up and running (indicating the operating system not only is tricked into being verified, it actually believes it's verified)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.