Hacking My NAND File

Rosetta06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it ever change or is it just kinda just the OS.
Should I do regular backups on the SD I have my NAND and overwrite the old?

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The NAND file created by Bootmii is a complete copy of everything on your Wii's internal memory. This includes the OS, system files, game saves, channels, everything.

You can do regular backups if you wish. For normal Wii use, you shouldn't need to. I would do a backup before attempting any major hacks- just in case something goes wrong.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rosetta06 said:
Does it ever change or is it just kinda just the OS.
Should I do regular backups on the SD I have my NAND and overwrite the old?
It changes. Everything you do (new cIOS version, update HBC, play a game, create a gamesave, continue a gamesave, etc.) writes to the NAND. It's like the hard drive, only it's NAND flash.
tongue.gif

You could do regular backups if you want. Especially if you're about to do something stupid.

Rosetta06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, say if everything works fine as of today's date, I should just keep that NAND on an SD never to be touched unless I have a meltdown.

I do not care about saved games, wads, whatever.
It runs great so basically I took an image print of the wii and should date it and file it next to the Ark of the Covenant.

Rosetta06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if tomorrow I find a game wad called "Puke on Your Mother's..." I install and then play the wad.
Then for good lord who knows I backup Nand.

Then restore...

It will have puke...

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rosetta06 said:
So if tomorrow I find a game wad called "Puke on Your Mother's..." I install and then play the wad.
Then for good lord who knows I backup Nand.

Then restore...

It will have puke...

If you make the backup after installing the game then yes restoring will still keep the game.

Think of that nand.bin as a system restore point on windows. If you do a system restore to 2 days ago ANYTHING that you did in those two days will be gone like those 2 days never happened to the system. That would be the reason to do periodic nand backups to keep a working state on hand that is up to date. Though there isn't much of a reason to just do them randomly.

Just make a backup before you do something that could possibly brick your Wii to a point that your only option is a nand restore.(Banner bricks should be recoverable without doing it.) Also you can have a nand backup of like you being on 3.2 or something and then one of you updating to 4.0 and then just swap between them if you do want to switch back to one or the other for some reason.

Orrr you could even have a nand backup of the state of your Wii before doing anything other than putting bootmii on it in case you have some sort of other hardware failure that you need to send it to nintendo for and don't want to have anything on it when you do. Then you can just do a nand restore to your virgin state and then uninstall bootmii instead of having to go through the tedious process of reverting everything back to normal individually.

You can just copy the nand.bin file off of the sd card and hide it somewhere on your pc as well. That way you can have multiple restore points and can organize them easily with dated folders or something.

Edit: lol better?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally made two backups of my nand and keep them both:

1st is the Nand before it was touched (only installed bootmii2 and backed up)

2nd is a backup with everything already done (cIOS, USB loader, etc etc)

This way I can go WAY back to the day I got the Wii, or simply travel back to the day all the hacks were applied and everything worked correctly!

On a side note, I wonder how many girls are even interested in bootmii or nand backup? You have me interested
smile.gif

Rosetta06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my current nand is fine I guess, I can live with it.

BTW, I knew this was gonna come up zektor,
I'ts called growing up with 2 brothers and your ass beat for playing with dolls.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-